XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

How to disassemble the fog-lights button cluster?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2023, 05:07 PM
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Default How to disassemble the fog-lights button cluster?

I have two of those, i.e. two button clusters... One has a blind button in the lower (3-button) part, the other has a blind button in the upper (7-button) part.
The goal is to have a cluster with 0 blind buttons. Thus I need to pull out either the upper or the lower part, whichever goes out easier.

I suspect one needs to pull out the individual buttons first (hence the lower part might go easier), and then pull the respective sub-module out from the back of the cluster.
The thing is the buttons seem to hold on pretty tight, and I don't wanna break anything. Only the blind one went out pretty easily.

Anyone seen a guide for this please?

Old 11-25-2023, 09:25 PM
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaroslav Záruba
I suspect one needs to pull out the individual buttons first (hence the lower part might go easier), and then pull the respective sub-module out from the back of the cluster.
This turned out to be true. The buttons do indeed need to go out first. But I was able to pull them out only because one of them was blind, i.e. not a real button. This pseudo-button is locked-in in a different (less stubborn) way compared to the actual buttons.
Pulling out the middle pseudo-button had exposed one of two clips on each of the adjacent buttons. By keeping this now-exposed clip unlocked while pulling on the button (using a dental floss) I was able to get the prying tool underneath the button, thus plucking the button out.

Now the back side...
There are 4 clips between the lower button sub-module and the silver casing. These clips are pretty obvious.
What is less obvious is how much protruded those are, i.e. how much they stick from the button sub-module into the silver casing.
For some time I assumed the clips were for sure unlocked, something else must be holding the button sub-module in. Well no, the damned clips are simply pretty hard to defeat.
Once I stuffed a thicker prying tool in between the sub-module and the silver part I was able to pull the damned sub-module out.

Unfortunately I am not very confident I will be able to pull out buttons without a blind pseudo-button sitting among them.

The following users liked this post:
Pete M (11-28-2023)