XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

How to do the x358 bumper upgrade for free

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2016, 03:11 PM
Received 133 Likes on 81 Posts
Default How to do the x358 bumper upgrade for free

Hello all,

Haven't posted in a while but still around. As some of you may already know, last summer, by car was in a hail storm. While it sucked, the result was I got to respray my whole car black cherry for free as I did it myself and my insurance paid me. My plans were to do the x358 upgrade in the summer, but it turns out it will be done sooner. On New Years eve, I was out doing some errands. I was on the highway heading home when some (insert bad word here) in a pickup, who was helping someone move I guess, lost some stuff off the back. I managed to dodge a big box, but in doing that, drove right into some type of kitchen appliance (I think it was a food processor). Well, it exploded into a million pieces along with my front bumper, under trays, wheel arch liner and as the pieces went under the car, managed to crack the rear bumper as well. So, just got back from getting the car looked at and guess what, front/back bumpers, front fog light/trim/covers etc all getting replaced. Since I do my own repairs, I asked if as long as the bumpers are OEM, do they have to be specific to 05, or would some from an 08 matter as they do fit right up and are only different shapes. I was told it's fine as long as they don't cost more. So there it is, I'm in the process of getting some used (they 'unofficially' like you to try used first since it's cheaper) facelift bumpers.

So while it sucks that only a few months after taking the whole car apart and painting it, I have to do it again with the bumpers, at least I can do the facelift for free and even make some money doing it. As I replaced the trunk infill panel with the 08 one while I was doing the paint job, after this that just leaves the front grille (which wasn't damaged) but as we all know, those are stupid expensive from the dealer and harder to find used then hens teeth! So that part will be on the long term list to complete the look. I'll keep you all up to date as this goes along and of course, pics as it happens!

Old 01-08-2016, 03:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 325 Likes on 198 Posts

Looking forward to the pictorial story board!

Do you have a thread on the repaint of your car?

Old 01-09-2016, 02:43 PM

I do have the thread on my car respray somewhere. I'm sure a search for it using 'respray black cherry' would find it. If not, I can try and dig it up, just don't have a chance right now!

The following 2 users liked this post by WinterJag:
Lagonia (01-09-2016), Panthro (01-11-2016)
Old 01-12-2016, 07:40 AM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

How to do the x358 bumper upgrade for free-img_20140630_143336_140.jpgI found it was cheaper to replace the X350 front bumper cover with one from a X358. But the purchase of the rear cover offset that. But I liked the look and went for it any way.

As far as the grill surround, yes they where expensive. I purchased a used X350 grill and modified it with some PVC that was the same inner diameter of the badge. Beveled the edge and cut the grill and epoxied it in. Used mesh for the grill inserts. As for the pic. I have since replaced the lower grill with a stock one so I would have the chrome but insterted the mesh in it.

WoodFord Jag

The following users liked this post:
Jaroslav Záruba (10-31-2023)
Old 01-12-2016, 04:53 PM

WoodFord: I actually ordered new front and rear x358 bumpers over the weekend and also noticed that most places listed the front one for less than the x350.

However, I managed to find new OEM front and rear that were sitting in someones warehouse (for a long time I take it) and also inventoried as x350 parts for less than the price of one new one. I go them to send pics and they were indeed x358 parts. I think they were ordered for a repair or something but never used and sort of forgotten. The rest of the parts I will probably just order from either my local dealer or online (whoever is cheaper). Since I'm still paying for some of the bits like the drivers side fog light stuff, new bumper lights etc. cheaper is still better! As for the grille, I have thought about trying to modify it, I'm just going to be patient and wait for one to pop up somewhere. I'm sure if I put some effort into it I could track one down but at the moment I don't have any spare cash or time right now so It'll have to wait, along with the fender/side vents.

Old 01-12-2016, 06:20 PM
Received 150 Likes on 120 Posts

Winter jag, where did you find the parts? I have been trying to find the trunk Plinth & rear bumper for almost a yr with no luck (other than new) & maybe they might be my only option. I have a few front bumpers saved in my watch list on eBay, but I'd like to have the rear bumper & trunk infill as well. I honestly want the trunk infill more than the bumpers tbh just for the Chrome piece going all the way across from end to end...

Old 01-12-2016, 10:37 PM

Marque - I found them by making a few calls and getting lucky! I was trying to track down a wrecked 08 that sold through an auction and ended up being told 'I know a guy who has some bumpers sitting around, I think they're for a Jag'. The end result, I got them for a good deal cause they didn't really know what they were for and just wanted to get rid of them. Don't recall the place at the moment, but just as an FYI, I actually discovered that Rockauto actually has a front bumper for the 08-09 listed, it's out of stock now but might be worth keeping an eye out. Try using the part number C2C36638XXX. It's listed as Various Manufacturer or something like that, not actually Jag, and its a remaned one, but when I clicked on it, it said for Jaguar XJ 08-09. As for the bumpers on eBay, I bet we were watching the same ones! I almost pulled the trigger on a front one last week (a silver one). It would have needed a bit of work but I've repaired lots of bumpers so it's no big deal. But then I got these. For the rear bumper, I think there are one or two for sale on eBay right now but they would need repairs. I think they are harder to find than the front.

With the trunk infill, that one was hard to find. At first, I was watching an infill panel (new) for sale in the UK, but I would have still needed the chrome strip. Then, I found a guy selling the whole boot lid in the UK, I asked if he would sell just those parts, but said no. I watched it for a long time, and after about 3 months I asked him again, he said no again. Then after another 2 months I asked again, saying why not make some money since he couldn't sell the boot. He finally said yes, we worked out a price and a week later I had the infill and chrome. There is no way I would pay for those parts new, they're stupid expensive.
I think it's basically just patience to get all the parts used, they're out there, but it seems they're either priced way to high or a total mess, but now and then, the right part pops up. Just be ready to jump!

Old 01-12-2016, 11:04 PM

Mannnn, patience is definitely in the vocabulary! Hahaha

Seriously, I've been looking for over a yr! I have quite a few front bumpers saved like I said, & as you stated, finding the rear bumper & trunk infill is the problem...

Tell me som'n; are the tags in Canada UK style, or stateside style? I bet you got the same trunk I had been watching for the longest, & I too finally got them to give me a deal on it being they didn't wanna ship it to the states; but ironically, after I finally got him to agree to ship it, I started really paying attention to it & noticed that the tag holder was for a UK STYLE tag. (It was a Winter Gold trunk)

Old 01-13-2016, 03:59 PM

Ya, you sure need patience, but mine was also a bit of forced patience due to lack of funds! The trunk I got my parts from was blue so I don't have to feel bad about scooping the parts from you! Our plates up here are the same as yours. The infill I got was also UK style but I just filled in the holes and drilled out the proper ones. Actually, if you look behind the panel, all the guides are there for any holes for all markets. So it doesn't really matter what market the panel is for, it'll work. I'm currently working on the patience part now in finding a x358 grille and some front quarters with the vents.

Old 01-13-2016, 04:10 PM

Ain't that some SHISK!!! I wish I'd known that then!!! I guess I need to go back & check to see if he still has it...

Old 01-19-2016, 11:49 AM

Small update. Got the new bumpers yesterday. Everything looks good except that the front isn't drilled for parking sensors (even though based on the part number, it should be). I checked with the place I got it from and the part number should be with sensors. Seems like back when they ordered it, it was mislabeled or something and since they never used it, nobody noticed. Not a big deal though, I'll just have to make some holes!
Now all that's left is all the bits and bobs for all the other stuff such as fog lights, side markers, etc.. Usually I just order up from US dealers online, but with our dollar basically worth nothing now (add about 40% on exchange), I have to rethink whether or not I will actually save money buying from the states or just get from my local dealer. I've given them the long list of parts the other day and now just waiting to get prices. The last hang-up is temperature. Even though I have a heated garage, when temps are sub -25 or 30C, it doesn't get warm enough to paint. We need a warm spell (at least >-10C if you can call that warm).

Old 03-03-2016, 01:14 PM

Well, it's finally done! We had some nicer weather and I had some free time so all the bits and bobs are on and done. Now, I know many people have done this conversion before so I won't go through all the details, but I will make note of some things. First, you are supposed to get a new wiring harness for the front bumper, however, I didn't, mainly because it would have cost me about $250, and secondly, the only difference is the connections for the fog lights. But, since I have the habit of collection all the old connectors that get cut off from random cars in my past, I just happen to have some that fit perfectly sitting around, so I just cut off the old ones and wired these in. Works perfect. Second, the ultimate thread on this (by x-dave in the UK) has all the parts listed, except that here in NA, we actually have lights in the bumpers behind the reflectors, they don`t in the UK (as far as I know). So, in order to make the new ones fit (while using the old connectors), I had to take a little notch out of the front bumper mounting brackets behind where the side lights go. No big deal. And finally, you are supposed to get a new headlight washer pump (if you are pre 2006) as the hose diameter changed for the powerwash. I ordered one, but I would have had to modify the connector as well as the mount in the washer reservoir. So, I just used a reducer to make the old pump fit the new hose, works fine so far. This was a bit annoying cause my pump was broken in the accident, but I managed to get a hold of another pump. So, overall, not that hard of a task and of course, here are the before and after cause what`s the point of all of this without pics!

Before:
Name:  IMG_20151127_154258_zpsujbjhdsd.jpg
Views: 1524
Size:  271.0 KB

Name:  IMG_20151127_154238_zpszcgfqlki.jpg
Views: 1469
Size:  269.1 KB

After:

Name:  IMG_20160302_142607_zps584iv4md.jpg
Views: 1487
Size:  329.0 KB

Name:  IMG_20160302_142620_zpsmk7trhmp.jpg
Views: 1491
Size:  274.7 KB

Now, I had already added the trunk infill panel as I mentioned so all this leaves is the Grille (on the hunt for one), the fender vents and side mirrors. I will do something about the exhaust tips as they are now deeper in the bumper, but a new set of finishers will take care of that. I`m really waiting on the weather as this car is so long I don`t really have room to work on the 'ends' of it in the shop and have to do that kind of work outside, and it's not 'friendly' outside at the moment as you can probably tell from the pics.

So, a nice fresh paint job (thanks to insurance) and bumper upgrade (thanks to insurance) and a net cost to me of, well nothing, actually I made some money off of all this. The car may have 264,000 kms on it at the moment, but it looks like new. I also just finished a complete suspension rebuild (all bushings (including sway bar), links, arms etc. front and back. The air shocks were also replaced about 1.5-2 years before I bought the car a year ago and so was the steering rack. It's also got a new heater core, aux coolant pump, expansion tank, thermostat, and brakes. So, all in all, this things runs, handles and drives pretty much as new! And the grand total of all this work, including the cost of the car, about $8000 CDN. Not too bad if you ask me. All that's left is refresh every hose in the engine bay.

Then heated/cooled seats, individual rear seats and console, lsd, Avos twin screw...........

Last edited by WinterJag; 03-03-2016 at 01:16 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Pete M (11-01-2023)
Old 03-03-2016, 02:14 PM

Nicse!!!

Old 03-03-2016, 04:11 PM
Received 134 Likes on 82 Posts

What does the rear badge say?

Old 03-03-2016, 05:42 PM

Thanks, I think it looks pretty good too!

alecescolme: That rear badge says SUPER V8, which the car is. It's the one that was on the car originally, I just pulled it off the old infill panel and added it to this one. By the time I'm done with this one we'll have the same car!

Last edited by WinterJag; 03-03-2016 at 05:44 PM.
Old 03-04-2016, 06:40 AM
Received 134 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by WinterJag
Thanks, I think it looks pretty good too!

alecescolme: That rear badge says SUPER V8, which the car is. It's the one that was on the car originally, I just pulled it off the old infill panel and added it to this one. By the time I'm done with this one we'll have the same car!
Okay, thanks, got one on mine too, just need the left hand XJ badge like yours.
The car is looking great! Are you going to get the Portfolio parts also?

Old 03-04-2016, 11:37 AM

Well, I'd like to get the portfolio parts, but we all know how hard it is to track them down. I did find a wrecked 07 XJR Portfolio in the UK, and tried to get a hold of them for the vents and gear surround, but they never answered the phone (tried for a few days several times a day). I'm still going to try and track some down, and they did sell those 07's here in Canada too (I've seen three for sale in the last few months) so I might even find some here. Not too worried about the fenders as I can just cut mine to fit the vents if need be. But even if I did find some today, my bank account wouldn't allow me to get them anyway! Hopefully this spring/summer I'll be able to finish this car up right and track down some of these elusive parts.

Old 03-23-2016, 02:49 PM

Well, just to wrap this all up. I went to get the re-inspection last week from my insurance. The guy who did it was the same one who did my re-spray claim a few months ago. As soon as he saw me he said "I thought it would be you, not many Jags come in here and you're the only one who is actually brave enough to fix them yourself.". So, he looked it over, said good job, gave him all my receipts and he said that he was going to try and get me full price for new parts, even though I didn't pay full price, since that is what they would do for a shop. But, they wouldn't let him! Apparently since I am a self repair I only get what I paid for parts, but he did manage to find me some extra labour hours when he reworked the final claim. Gotta say, having dealt with these guys twice now with self-repair, they are great to work with. It's been much easier than going through a shop and any and all questions/additional parts requests have been sorted in less than 48hr with no problems. I know lots of people have bad experiences with insurance companies, (myself included) but since I started being my own shop it's been nothing but great! Getting the check this week for a cool $3300!

Old 03-23-2016, 06:42 PM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Wnterjag

Your car looks great, I noticed you removed the door protection strips, which I would like to do, but my concern is damaging the paint. I was thinking about using a heat gun to take them off. I was just curious how you did it.

Thanks, Woodford Jag

Old 03-23-2016, 06:54 PM

Thanks Woodford. Ya, I pulled those off when I did my respray last fall. I believe they should come off with a heat gun, but mine didn't. In fact, mine were ridiculously hard to remove except for one. I ended up having to use MEK to dissolve the tape holding them on, pulling like crazy, and then scraping about half of the adhesive off the door. I actually ended up doing some damage to the paint, but since I was doing a respray anyway, I didn't care. The problem is, if they were removed at one point and then put back on with the wrong kind of tape, they just don't want to come off. I would bet that the three that were hard to remove had been previously taken off and put back on with the wrong kind of adhesive. If you aren't sure, I wouldn't recommend tackling this yourself, unless you are prepared to and capable of doing you're own paint work or feel like spending some extra cash! Let a shop try and if they mess it up they should have to fix it.

Quick Reply: How to do the x358 bumper upgrade for free