XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

How does my 2004 XJ8 want me to drive?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 09:19 PM
Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Default How does my 2004 XJ8 want me to drive?

I have had a number of American luxury cars over the years - 2 Lincoln Continentals, 1 Towncar, 1 Navigator, 2 Cadillac Devilles, and a DTS which my wife still drives. Those cars basically all call for a take it easy, float down the road approach to driving (except possibly the DTS). They are take your time, life's gonna be good kinda of driving machines.

Over the weekend I bought my first Jaguar - a 2004 XJ8. While it can certainly be driven in a lazy sort of way, it gives me the impression that it wants to be driven more aggressively, like it expects me to shower down it occasionally.

This may sound like a strange question, but how does the XJ8 like to be driven? Does the 4.2 engine perform better and/or last longer if driven more on the aggressive side, like faster (higher r.p.m.) takeoffs? Does the adaptive suspension work better if exercised more, like taking curves faster, etc.?

It is a fun car to drive, but having never owned one before, I don't know the best way to drive it.

Any input you can give me would be appreciated.

Old 11-04-2014, 12:37 AM
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

While an X350 Jag is not a Porsche 911 in the cornering department, having owned classic Cadillac cars in the past (pre weird angled designs Cadillac currently makes) and still driving a 2000 Cadillac STS as my winter beater, I find that the Jag is more sporty in the drive, especially if one has summer tires on in the summer. Comparing one heavy big car to another (my Cadillac STS to my Jag X350) I find the Jag can corner more aggressively, is more stable at higher speeds, and accelerated more smoothly in a full throttle highway application. Both cars have about 300 HP V8 engines. For slow city stop and go over bad pavement and potholes, I find the Cadillac to give a smoother ride and isolate me more than the Jag. If on a winding road or traveling long distances on a smooth highway, I prefer the Jag's ride. Accelerate to 180 km/h rapidly in the Cadillac and it feels somewhat unstable and seems to want to not exceed its comfort zone top speed of 130 km/h (I found this even more pronounced with a Lincoln Town Car). With the X350 accelerate up to 180 km/h and it feels confident and smooth and capable of even faster speeds which it would no doubt handle with confidence. With the STS I would only comfortably take it up to 160-180 for brief passing, but the Jag could cruise there all day if the speed limit permitted.

Last edited by BrentGardner; 11-04-2014 at 12:39 AM.
Old 11-04-2014, 08:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 166 Likes on 134 Posts

It's been my experience that you can drive the XJ somewhat briskly, but because it's a large car, it does require a fair bit of work. If you put the transmission in sport mode, or use the gearshift level to get the engine rpms up, the car definitely goes.

My last Jag, a 2005 S-Type was easier to drive quickly due to its suspension, quick steering and smaller size. The XJ is more comfortable though.

Old 11-04-2014, 09:02 AM

Thank you for your responses. I suppose the gist of my question is, is it better for the car to drive it more on the aggressive side than to drive it more gently like one might drive a Lincoln Towncar? Is it engineered in such a way that it would hold up better or last longer if it is "exercised" a bit harder than a typical American luxury car?

Thanks.

Old 11-04-2014, 07:54 PM
cjd
Received 91 Likes on 74 Posts

Jags should always be driven fast and in front.

Old 11-05-2014, 07:51 AM
Received 56 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by cjd
Jags should always be driven fast and in front.
put perfectly - I second this....

Tom

Old 11-05-2014, 12:07 PM
XJL
Received 142 Likes on 109 Posts

You should step on it once in awhile regardless of the car you drive. I was told it keeps the Mass Air Flow Sensor cleaner.

Old 11-06-2014, 04:31 PM
Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

I have to say that when i got my first jag i felt the same way, should i drive it hard or soft? I drive it hard and it performs better and somehow i get better gas mileage! So drive it like a jag!

Old 11-06-2014, 08:09 PM

Thanks to all for your input. I have only had it a few days, but I can already see that it seems happier when I drive it harder than the Navigator I traded in on it, or even my Honey's DTS Northstar.

Old 11-07-2014, 07:41 AM
Received 152 Likes on 96 Posts
Default Thundering Elegance

Theres a reason that jaguars slogans hint at the underlying performance. The feeling you described about the car wanting to go faster. I generally refer to this as "reserve power" and THAT is what Jaguars are about. I have owned a few Jaguar sedans, and my brother can really claim to be a fan. He currently has 5 Jaguars. 2 Mark IX's - 2 XJS's (Actually an XJ-S and an XJS - based on Model year) and a Series III XJ6 - He recently sold a 94 XJS Convertible and a 95 XJ-12 (one of the last 12's to come to our shores)

Space, Grace and Paceis another slogan that Jaguar used over the years to explain what they are about. I had an early start. My dad used to come to the summer camp that my brother and I went to - all the kids would ask: "Is that your dad driving the Rolls Royce?" and, totally bored, we would respond: "Its nota Rolls Royce - It's a Jaguar"

XJS Slogan: "Thundering Elegance"

Drive it whatever way feels good to you. My wifes observation is that the car "Feels like it wants to go faster" It does. They used to say Volvo engines respond well to being driven hard. Advice I was given: "Drive it hard, and give it fuel injector cleaner every oil change. I think similar advice applies here. Example: Shortly after buying my 2006 XJ8L, I ran it up to redline while entering a highway - this was at night and in the rear view I could see some smoke in the headlights of the car behind me. Carbon build up. A woman owned the car and obviously drove it gently. TOO gently. However you drive, it's not a bad idea to spin an engine up to it's readline once in a while. Cadillac has had some lean years and some good ones, same is true fir Jaguar. Late 70's through early 80's were not great for a lot of carmakers. Ford helped a lot with quality control and economies of scale. When Ford's team walked into Jaguars manufacturing facility in the late 80's they were inn shock. They were building cars the way it was done 40 years ago. It was a slow transition at times to the company Jaguar is today. The X350? A modern world class competitor in retro clothes. Think of it as the New XJ (2010 forward) with classic attire

Good luck with your new car.

Old 11-07-2014, 07:53 AM
cjd
Received 91 Likes on 74 Posts

John, I'm sure your brother can attest...with the older XJS's you had to drive REALLY FAST!! So you could have the momentum to coast to the next garage after it broke! Mine's in my driveway as I write...waiting for $1k in parts to arrive to get it going again.

Ford definitely saved the Jag marque and made them not only fun, but reliable to drive.

Old 11-07-2014, 02:56 PM
Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Interestingly, I also owned a 2000 Cadillac Seville STS (not the smaller STS). For some reason, I am routinely reminded of my STS when I drive my 2004 XJ8. Perhaps it is because they are both the same color (white exterior, creme interior), similar wood grained accents, 300 or so hp V8, understated styling, and because it seemed the Seville tried so hard to be a european touring sedan.

I remember in the Cadillac forums that occasional hard acceleration was recommended for the health of the Northstar V8.

Although the Caddy was a pleasant car to drive, and handled quite well for a large car, the Jag is definitely more sporting in nature, and happier when driven aggressively. I am amazed at how effortlessly it takes corners even around town. It is at its happiest on the highway, though.

Old 11-08-2014, 04:45 PM
Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

90mph on the Interstate. Just watch out for cops.

The following 2 users liked this post by Marsden:
Clamdigger (11-10-2014), etaent (11-10-2014)
Old 11-09-2014, 04:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,462 Likes on 1,956 Posts

The 'old' Jaguar XJs like the Series 3s would have been much closer to your Cadillac. Mine certainly had that "boulevard' ride and very light power steering. Of course they could go fast, but you wouldn't want to swing it around sharp bends much, or a series of left-right bends. However the modern X350 is perfectly happy to be driven like a sports car. I have found in Germany, it feels like a car half the weight on the hairpins into and out of the Mosel and Rhine valleys, and, of course, totally at home at speed on the autobahns, but with my wife in the car, I tend to keep below 100. The car will go all day at 80 mph. Here in England the authorities are totally **** about speed, so one has to be careful.

Old 11-10-2014, 08:46 AM
Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Thank you for posting that great picture of the XK150, it made me think back to the early 70's when we had a white,red 56 XK140

Old 11-12-2014, 09:58 PM
Received 122 Likes on 89 Posts

Drive it the way it feels right for you, enjoy... That's what I do.

Common sense suggests that harder you drive it - more stress is applied to mechanical parts shortening their life. When taking sharp corners I can feel suspension is giving away it's angles. Mine is 2003 and most bushings and ball joints I believe are original. But I would rather pay some money to get them replaced than deprive myself from the fun :-)