XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

How To Find The Correct Bulb Replacement For My Car?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2023, 05:48 PM
Received 119 Likes on 97 Posts
Default How To Find The Correct Bulb Replacement For My Car?

2004 XJR X350

The low beam is occasionally flickering. I have attended to the 3 ground posts as described in the sticky & it still flickers. I would like to replace the low beam bulb on both sides.

When looking at the low beam from the front of the car, you can see a small circle (projector?) in it.

Does anyone know how I can find a description of the bulb I need to purchase? Ideally, there is a way that I could use the VIN to be sure? I realize that I could remove the bulb & check the bulb itself; however, I would like to do it all at once.

Thanks for your help,

Steve

Old 05-02-2023, 06:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,913 Likes on 763 Posts
Old 05-02-2023, 10:40 PM

Thanks, Mark! Very helpful. I also found a very thorough list of the procedural steps in another thread. I will purchase on the recommendations in the thread you posted.

I will add the aforementioned steps with attribution if they work. If not, I'll be back sooner.

Best,

SS

Old 05-05-2023, 01:43 PM
Received 93 Likes on 71 Posts

The bulb type is stamped at the bottom of the headlight lens.

The following 2 users liked this post by JoeDredd:
04Xjrsteve (05-06-2023), rsa760041 (05-08-2023)
Old 05-06-2023, 03:53 PM

Thank you, Joe Dredd!!!

Mine is clearly labeled D1S. Now, I can have them ready when the opportunity to replace occurs. I hope this week.

Old 05-06-2023, 05:07 PM

2004 xjr X350

OK, Easily found D2S bulbs, but not the D1S ones. There is more than one light "body style" listed for the recommended bulbs for my car.

So, I thought it would make sense to pull the bulb out in order to be sure I purchase the right one.

Well, the metal holder was easily pushed forward & the cover is loose. However, something at the bottom is preventing it from coming off. Actually, it is "off", but I cannot take it out because it is being blocked by something at the bottom.

I will go back & review this & other posts because some mentioned removing the bumper. Sounds crazy, but it's a crazy world!

Old 05-06-2023, 05:26 PM

OK, having reread the link kindly provided by Mark, I have decided to wait until I have the time & gumption to remove the bumper. Mercifully, the bulb only slightly flickers on occasion. Does anyone know if the bumper cover is what is blocking the cover from coming off?

From a previous post from JAHammer, I see that the OEM bulb is the OSRAM 66144. Amazon has 2 for 100 bucks.

​​​​​​
Amazon Amazon

I feel comfortable ordering these even though there seems to many others offered for significantly less.

Any & all suggestions are much appreciated.

Old 05-07-2023, 02:34 AM
Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by 04Xjrsteve
OK, having reread the link kindly provided by Mark, I have decided to wait until I have the time & gumption to remove the bumper. Mercifully, the bulb only slightly flickers on occasion. Does anyone know if the bumper cover is what is blocking the cover from coming off?

From a previous post from JAHammer, I see that the OEM bulb is the OSRAM 66144. Amazon has 2 for 100 bucks.

​​​​​​https://www.amazon.com/OSRAM-XENARC-...94155301&psc=1

I feel comfortable ordering these even though there seems to many others offered for significantly less.

Any & all suggestions are much appreciated.

Hi Steve,
I always go for Osram as my brand of choice when I need to replace bulbs on one of my cars, because I am very satisfied with the quality (OK, it might also be that I am biased because I live in Germany...). My alternative choice would be Philips, they also make high quality bulbs, but price wise they are very similar.

Osram also has an improved version of the bulbs called "D1S OSRAM - 2023 NEXT GEN - NIGHT BREAKER". They are a bit more expensive and they might be a bit less durable, but I find that the performance is really better in comparison to the OEM version. It's the ones I have bought when I replaced the bulbs on my car.

Regarding the stuck cover, it comes off at the back, so I do not think that the bumper cover has anything to do with it. The bumper cover only needs to come off if you want to remove the headlight assembly. When I replaced the bulbs, I had the bumper off anyway because of some other work I did on the car and so just had removed the headlight assembly for the replacement.

I will check today whether I have issues removing the cover and will revert,

The following users liked this post:
04Xjrsteve (05-07-2023)
Old 05-07-2023, 06:31 AM

Thanks, Thomas!

What you say about the bumper cover makes sense. I believe my R is not as long as your Super V-8. I wonder if there is less space behind the cover in the R? Still, it doesn't make sense that since the cover is off, it can't be easily lifted out. The hangup seems to be at the bottom.

I will check out the Next Gen OSRAMs.

Old 05-07-2023, 03:06 PM

Hi Steve,
my SV8 is a SWB, same as your XJR, Here in Europe they sold the SV8 in both SWB and LWB forms, and you could get the LWB also with the smaller engines. But even as a LWB the space behind the cover would be the same, as the LWB has about 10 cm more legroom in the rear. This means that the cars are identical from the front to the B-pillar, then you see the difference in the length of the rear doors.

I have looked to the covers on my cars and removed the one on the right hand (passenger) side. Yes,the space is tight, also because of the earthing studs are placed a bit stupidly so that they are in the way, but I was able to remove the cover. There is a metal loop at the bottom that holds the bottom of the cover (you can see the metal loop in the second picture and the bottom of the cover on the left in the third picture), I was able to take out the cover from there by rotating it. Difficult to explain, you need to try.

I have attached some pictures, I hope that they help.

By the way, to push back in place the metal holder to fix again the cover, I needed the help of a screwdriver as a lever.

Best regards,

Thomas

04Xjrsteve (05-07-2023)
Old 05-07-2023, 04:49 PM

Thanks, Thomas. Above & Beyond!

Not able to find the bottom clip on the LH low-beam, I tried on the RH low-beam. No luck finding it on either. In both instances, they feel free, but something at the bottom is retaining them. I tried jiggling up, down & sideways. Were you able to get your fingers low enough to find the bottom clip?

Low-beam LH cover.

Old 05-07-2023, 04:58 PM

OKAY! Removed the ground wires from the pole & was able to slide my hand along the side & feel the bottom wire retainer. However, can't imagine how to unhook it.

Old 05-07-2023, 05:13 PM

Hi Thomas,

Tried about the only thing, a screw driver, that will fit & the angle doesn't work to get a bite on the retaining bracket. How did you remove the bottom clip on yours? Did it just come undone when you pulled up? If I didn't see that yours came off without removing the entire light, I would swear that I needed to remove the entire light assembly.

Thanks,

Steve

Old 05-08-2023, 03:23 AM

Hi Steve,
you do not remove the bottom clip, that is fixed. You slide out the cover towards the top and when re-assembling, you slide the bottom of the cover back into the bottom clip.

Best regards,

Thomas

Old 05-08-2023, 05:16 AM
Aix
Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts

As I recently had to take out the headlights of my car to change the ballast modules, maybe a picture of the disassembled lights help to get a better feeling for the removal process:

You can see the bottom retainer for the cover that Thomas mentioned on the lower right side. This on is not removed but the nose of the cover visible in the second picture is inserted into it from above. Then just push the cover into its sealing ring all around and slip the upper retaining wire on to hold it back.Make sure this is really tight, otherwise you get moisture into the lamps over time.

The following 3 users liked this post by Aix:
04Xjrsteve (05-08-2023), Jaroslav Záruba (01-06-2024), Thomas-S. (05-08-2023)
Old 05-08-2023, 10:54 AM

GOODNESS, WOW & THANKS to my newfound Teutonic friends! When you find yourselves in Seattle, drop me a PM & we will show you the town!

Thanks to your generous help, I believe I can do this!

When I tackle this, I will allow a day just in case I need to remove the entire assembly. My hands are not small & if I'm going to lose my religion, I would prefer it not be over a couple of light bulbs!

Thanks for brightening my day & hope you have a good one, too.

Steve S.

Old 05-08-2023, 11:08 AM
Aix
Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts
Smile

GOODNESS, WOW & THANKS to my newfound Teutonic friends! When you find yourselves in Seattle, drop me a PM & we will show you the town!

My hands are not small & if I'm going to lose my religion, I would prefer it not be over a couple of light bulbs!

Steve S.
plugging the cable back to the bulb on the car-mounted headlights has always been a job for one of my sons
but they'll probably have grown out of this when the thing fails next time

Old 05-09-2023, 03:12 AM

Thanks to your generous help, I believe I can do this!

When I tackle this, I will allow a day just in case I need to remove the entire assembly. My hands are not small & if I'm going to lose my religion, I would prefer it not be over a couple of light bulbs!

Thanks for brightening my day & hope you have a good one, too.

Steve S.

Hi Steve,

you're very welcome, and thanks for your kind offer!

The job is doable. Sorry if this comes a bit late, but as there are warnings about working on HID lights because of the high voltages involved, just to be on the safe side I would suggest that you disconnect the battery first thing.

Good luck!

Best regards,

Thomas

Old 05-09-2023, 11:50 AM

Thomas, your timing is perfect! Thanks. The Osrams are to be delivered today.

Will post how it goes; maybe not until the weekend.

Thomas-S. (05-09-2023)
Old 05-10-2023, 04:14 AM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Low beam headlight bulb on a jaguar xj 350

2004 XJR X350

The low beam is occasionally flickering. I have attended to the 3 ground posts as described in the sticky & it still flickers. I would like to replace the low beam bulb on both sides.

When looking at the low beam from the front of the car, you can see a small circle (projector?) in it.

Does anyone know how I can find a description of the bulb I need to purchase? Ideally, there is a way that I could use the VIN to be sure? I realize that I could remove the bulb & check the bulb itself; however, I would like to do it all at once.

Thanks for your help,

Steve
  1. Low beam headlight bulb on a jaguar xj 350 the bulb you need is a D1 R I changed min on my jaguar xjr x350 2005 from Robert rawle South Wales UK Britain

Quick Reply: How To Find The Correct Bulb Replacement For My Car?