XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

How To Find The Correct Bulb Replacement For My Car?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2023, 02:00 PM
Received 93 Likes on 71 Posts

Deffo D1s as they are for the projector type headlights on the X350. Look at the bottom of the Lens and it will have D1S stamped in it.

The back covers are challenging to get out due to lack of space but once out the rest is easy. Check the seals around the cover as they can leak and fill the headlight up. A word of advice, if your side light ( the one that light up the top of the headlight) is like a black pencil with a small bulb on the end DO NOT and I cannot say this enough DO NOT push it in too far as the clip will go past the hole it is supposed to go in and it say it is hard to get out is an understatement. You will have to remove the headlight and even then it is difficult. It took me ages with the headlight in my hand.

The following users liked this post:
Jaroslav Záruba (01-06-2024)
Old 05-12-2023, 12:51 PM
Received 119 Likes on 97 Posts
Default Mission Accomplished; Thanks To All

I decided to remove the grill & bumper cover. In trying to remove cover from top, I was concerned that the force I was applying could break the cover or the bottom metal retainer. I am not convinced that the low beam bulbs can be replaced from the top on my car.

The best DIY Youtube ever for removing the grill & bumper cover & the technician is easy on the eyes!

Working at a leisurely pace, I figured it would take 4 hours; actually took 15 minutes less.

Great results: Thanks to everyone helping with this!

Old 05-12-2023, 01:53 PM
Aix
Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts

Great to see you fixed the issue.
There is btw a great thread in this forum covering the removal of the front bumper cover.

XJ8 Front Bumper Cover Removal - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

With the info from that thread it took me 2 hefty pulls on the edges of the bumper and all the headlights were accessible. No need to get busy with the bolts on the bottom or the bolts inside the wheelhouse. You only need the parts of the video dealing with the top side to get to the headlamp bolts.

(Oh, and on my passenger-side lamps you can also see why I mentioned to make sure the cover of the lamp housing is sealed properly when you close it ... had to blow the whole thing out with a hairdryer for 20 minutes to dry it completely)

Old 05-12-2023, 02:54 PM

Thanks, AIX. I didn't do the high beams. When I see how much brighter the lows are now that they have been replaced, I'm looking forward to replacing the highs as soon as time permits. Your post will make it more likely to be sooner, rather than later!

Old 01-06-2024, 06:17 PM
Default N2 Head Lamp Bulb Replacement

N2 Receptacle & Spring Clip

I have gotten one of them out. How in the world does this go back in? I know how to insert the bulb, but beyond that I'm lost.
Does the clip attach to the receptacle 1st or does it first attach to the housing? Also, the clip is not symmetricle.

Thanks for your help & Happy New Year!

Steve S.

Old 01-06-2024, 07:22 PM
Received 170 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by 04Xjrsteve

N2 Receptacle & Spring Clip

I have gotten one of them out. How in the world does this go back in? I know how to insert the bulb, but beyond that I'm lost.
Does the clip attach to the receptacle 1st or does it first attach to the housing? Also, the clip is not symmetricle.

Thanks for your help & Happy New Year!

Steve S.
Hi Steve.
The H7 clip hinges down from the top. The two ends are clipped into holes in the housing to the top left and right of the bulb aperture. The middle of the clip straddles the bulb connector. The bulb is fitted with the flat in circular housing to the top. Put the bulb in place and hinge the clip down. It will press the bulb into the correct place. Continue to press down and the bottom of the clip will fit into a hook at the bottom.

Pete M

Fitting the bulb

Securing the clip

The following 2 users liked this post by Pete M:
04Xjrsteve (01-07-2024), Jaroslav Záruba (01-06-2024)
Old 01-07-2024, 10:29 AM

Thanks, Pete!! Yes, I meant H7, not D2. D2 is a favorite wine made by one of our favorite vintners - senior moment.

I will endeavor to do the replacement without removing the bumper. If my large fingers and lack of visibility don't preclude it. I'm not sure that it matters, but, I think, it might be easier to seat the clip in the holes at the top after inserting the bulb.

The diagram actually shows the flat tab of the bulb going in at the bottom, not: "bulb is fitted with the flat in circular housing to the top" As per in your post. I suspect you are correct; I will check the one that I haven't yet removed to be sure.

Thanks again & I hope you are enjoying this glorious day!

Steve S.

Old 01-07-2024, 03:37 PM

Thanks, Pete!! Yes, I meant H7, not D2. D2 is a favorite wine made by one of our favorite vintners - senior moment.

I will endeavor to do the replacement without removing the bumper. If my large fingers and lack of visibility don't preclude it. I'm not sure that it matters, but, I think, it might be easier to seat the clip in the holes at the top after inserting the bulb.

The diagram actually shows the flat tab of the bulb going in at the bottom, not: "bulb is fitted with the flat in circular housing to the top" As per in your post. I suspect you are correct; I will check the one that I haven't yet removed to be sure.

Thanks again & I hope you are enjoying this glorious day!

Steve S.
Hi Steve,
Sorry, I should have been more specific. On the H7 bulb there is a circular metal ring that sits in a recess in the socket. At one point, the circle has a segment cut off it with a small tab. This is the part that goes into a corresponding recess in the socket. This is to ensure that the bulb is correctly aligned in the socket. It is possible to insert the bulb with the tab at the bottom, but the bulb won't sit in the socket correctly, so the beam will be misaligned. Here is also a photo of the H7 high beam unit in my car. I have LED high beams so the 'bulb' looks different, but it fits the same way. You can also see where the wire clip is fitted to holes in the socket casting.

Pete M

H7 (with LED)

Old 01-07-2024, 05:54 PM

Thanks, Pete!! I notice that the 2 wires leaving the receptacle are pointing away from the engine. Since the slot in the housing is both on the top & the bottom, the bulb can be inserted with the slot up or down in other words, 180 degrees opposite.

So, I will be sure that the wires are leading away from the engine & that the square edged tab is at the bottom.

I think I can do this if I can get the clip inserted in the holes at the top. Your picture is very helpful.

Thank you, thank you!

Steve S.

Old 01-07-2024, 09:24 PM
Default Correction

Pete, I meant the square tab at the top as you suggested.

Old 01-11-2024, 08:48 PM

HELP!!

OK, Replaced the bulbs after removing the b. cover.

However, one bulb is out & the other is dim - Same thing I had before replacing the bulbs. Is there something else that could be causing this? Note, it is the 2 inside lamps(H7) The other 2 work fine just as they did before I started.

Thanks!!

Old 01-11-2024, 09:03 PM

Clarification: My last post is without the brights on. When the brights are on all lights work as they should. When the brights are off, one of the inside lamps is dim & the other is off. That may have been what I had before I replaced the bulbs since I didn't turn the brights on to see if they worked differently. I do recall that before I replaced the bulbs, one of the H7s was off & the other dim.

Old 01-11-2024, 10:28 PM

Clarification: My last post is without the brights on. When the brights are on all lights work as they should. When the brights are off, one of the inside lamps is dim & the other is off. That may have been what I had before I replaced the bulbs since I didn't turn the brights on to see if they worked differently. I do recall that before I replaced the bulbs, one of the H7s was off & the other dim.
Hi Steve,
I suppose the earth points behind the headlights have been checked and cleaned? When you mention 'brights' I guess those are what we would call 'high beams', the inner headlights. The outer bulbs are what we call 'low beams' for town use and when there are oncoming cars.
The other thing to check is that the headlight unit connectors are clean.

Pete M

04Xjrsteve (01-12-2024)
Old 01-12-2024, 01:45 AM

Thanks, Pete.

I had planned to check the plug on the high beam that doesn't glow at all when off for an irregularity. Will see if that fixes it.

High beams: when off, one is completely off, the other is lit but has a dull glow. Should they both have a dull glow when on?

Old 01-12-2024, 07:40 AM

Sometime over the weekend, I will inspect & clean the plug of the N7 that only lights when high beam is in use. Since I still have the 2 original bulbs, I will try each of them to see if they behave the same. I have previously cleaned & greased the ground(s), but will inspect again.

It would be good to know for sure how the N7s should appear when the high beam is off.

Thanks & best,

SS

Old 01-12-2024, 02:34 PM

SUCCESS!!

After cleaning the ground on the driver's side (USA), works fine. Used the info on the sticky provided by Don B some years ago.

I thought that I had cleaned both grounds two years ago when I had replaced the low beams; however, upon reflection, I guess I didn't!

Thanks to Pete & Don B for helping me to accomplish another task. On to the next!!

Steve S

Pete M (01-12-2024)