XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

how to get that bulb cover out of my way ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2015, 03:48 PM
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
Default how to get that bulb cover out of my way ?

I want to replace my xenons, so I detached the headlamp bulb cover retaining clip.. that was easy.
Now I should remove the bulb cover.
I can move it slightly, so I can see the bulb, but I cannot find a way to remove the cover to get better access.

Can be bulb cover be removed without removing the complete headlights ?

Old 12-28-2015, 05:15 PM
Received 189 Likes on 123 Posts

nebel---
If the cover is on the right (passenger) side (US) it is a real bugger to get off and out of the way because of the "ground" bolt where two or three things are grounded. The guy that designed this and gave approval for the location should be shot.

I was able to wiggle the cover off once, but not since. It has a clip on the bottom that the cover spring slips through (I lost mine the last time--- down in a never to be found again hole) so all I can recommend is to remove the grounding bolt and connections and hope that gives you a little more room. I haven't done that yet, but next time, it for sure will be removed.

Good luck

Old 12-28-2015, 07:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,756 Likes on 1,327 Posts

It is possible to twist the cover off with some effort. However getting your fingers in to replace the bulb might be another issue because of the limited space.
Getting the cover back on is a little more difficult because of that lower metal clip which a very difficult to get in the correct place.
Undoing the grounding bolts has caused some problems because they can break off easily according to many posts in this forum.
Quite a few people recommend taking the front bumper assembly off to give unlimited access to the headlamp assemblies.
I have done it both ways because I screwed up inserting a driving bulb ( on the end of a tube that is part of the assembly) that got stuck when I tried replacing all bulbs without taking off the bumper.

Old 01-03-2016, 11:42 AM
Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by jackra_1
It is possible to twist the cover off with some effort. However getting your fingers in to replace the bulb might be another issue because of the limited space....I have done it both ways because I screwed up inserting a driving bulb ( on the end of a tube that is part of the assembly) that got stuck when I tried replacing all bulbs without taking off the bumper.
Ditto on the driving bulb tube being a pita to remove and replace; the one on the passenger side of my 06SV8 had the wires hooked over a projection on the upper inside of the headlight shell and the tube would not pull out the back until I finally managed to poke something in there to get the wires unhooked. It also didn't line up with the holes in the reflector going back in and took a lot of fenagling to get it all the way in.

Then too, the manual's instructions for removing the tube are not correct for a 2006; it does not twist but releases by pressing a plastic tab on the rear toward the tube's center and pulling straight back (as long as the PO hasn't hooked the wires inside the shell).