XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

How much $$ to add bluetooth?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 01:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 484 Likes on 405 Posts
Default How much $$ to add bluetooth?

I am about to buy a 2006 XJ with navigation. Apparently it is not fitted with Bluetooth. How much would it cost to add this with factory parts?

Old 11-16-2010, 02:28 PM
Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

I just added it to a 2004 XJ, which had the factory Motorola V60i analog phone as original equipment. I believe you will need an extra DB2 cable for a complete retrofit if you don't have a factory phone. You will need a phone support equipment (PSE) module - version AE or later. I paid $200 for mine from a person on this BB but the dealer will want $629, Nalley will sell you one for around $535. They do come up from time to time on ebay but are reasonably rare and go quick. This goes in the trunk on the amp/nav DVD stack and hooks into the fiber-optic audio. You'll also need the BT upgrade kit, which is about $200 for Nalley (highly recommended). This goes in the center arm rest. Install is probably 2 hours. 1 of which will be spent trying to re-calibrate the parking brake once you reconnect the battery. Worst case costs if going to the dealer - think $1200+. best case is about $400 + 2 hours of your time. I am satisfied with the integration with the Nav and the rest of the car, no so much with the iphone integration which has poor volume (both Rx and Tx)and the phone book tends to get mangled when downloaded.

- Tim

Old 11-16-2010, 02:33 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks for the info! That sounds doable.

I am fairly handy, but I have some trepidation about cutting into the headliner of my new-to-me Jaguar. Also, from the directions I saw in the handbook online, it seems like I have to remove a lot of interior trim in trunk?

I wonder if there is a way to determine how much of the stuff is already pre-wired. I imagine more of it would be pre-wired since it is an '06 (vs. an '04).

By the way, what do you mean by calibrating the parking brake? I thought the parking brake was electronic?

Old 11-16-2010, 08:47 PM

Headliner for the mic is easy, as is removing the liner in the trunk to get to the A/V stack. I think it is prewired but am not totally sure as mine came with the factory cell. When you disconnect the battery, you have to recalibrate the parking brake to get rid of the "Electronic park brake error". Took me 10 minute to figure out I had a problem, 30 minutes to find a decent description of how to fix it and 5 minutes to actually do it.

- Tim

Old 11-16-2010, 09:42 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default How much $$ to add bluetooth?

Hi can you post the proceedure or link to calibrating the parking brake? I will be doing rear pads on my '04 XJ8 soon. Thanks George.

Old 11-16-2010, 09:43 PM
Veteran Member

I guess as long as most of the stuff is pre-wired, I'll be ok. I just don't want to have to rip everything out to put wires through to the trunk and then end up with all kinds of annoying rattles and buzzes!

Do you have a procedure for the e-brake calibration that I can read?

Old 11-16-2010, 10:39 PM
Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

Parkbrake operation is on page 4-33 of the Drivers handbook.

" ... to keep the parkbrake off, press and hold the parkbrake switch down and, at the same time, remove the key."

After reconecting the battery you will get see 'APPLY PARKBRAKE' in the message display. To reset the parkbrake:
"Depress the footbrake and pull the parkbrake switch up ..."

The following users liked this post:
vacmail (04-13-2012)
Old 11-17-2010, 06:44 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks! That's great info!

Old 12-10-2010, 12:10 PM
Veteran Member

Does anyone have parts numbers for what I need?

Old 12-11-2010, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by timfountain
I just added it to a 2004 XJ, which had the factory Motorola V60i analog phone as original equipment.... You will need a phone support equipment (PSE) module - version AE or later. I paid $200 for mine from a person on this BB but the dealer will want $629, Nalley will sell you one for around $535.... You'll also need the BT upgrade kit, which is about $200 for Nalley (highly recommended).....

- Tim
Tim,
I have the factory phone option also.
Did you need both the BT upgrade kit AND the PSE?

We can't just go with the BT upgrade?

Is there no adapter cable that can be plugged into the existing Motorola receptacle, with a micro USB plug on the other end?

Do you think a cable could be fabricated?

Old 12-17-2010, 09:07 PM

Tim,

--> Depends on the revision of the PSE. If it had the Moto V60i then almost certainly yes, you'll need to upgrade it. You need rev AD or later for the PSE to work with the BT module according to all the dealers I have spoken to. Mine was AA (2004 XJ8)....

--> Maybe, see above, depends on the PSE revision.

Is there no adapter cable that can be plugged into the existing Motorola receptacle, with a micro USB plug on the other end?
--> No the Moto cradle plugs into a connector under the rear A/C vents. The Jaguar BT module plugs into the same connector. You will discard the Moto cradle and wires. The BT module is hidden in the arm rest.

--> Why? The BT module includes a pigtail that plugs into the connector you already have. It really is plug and play.

The only minor PIA is getting the older PSE module out. I have a rev AE PSE, the BT module and the microphone for sale (you can use the one that is already installed for your factory phone, it works great and is hidden, unlike the retrofit). I am asking $450 for all of that. The PSE alone is $629 and the BT module is over $200 so I think this is a good deal but I'm open to some light bargaining. It is sitting in the garage collecting dust.....

- Tim

Old 12-17-2010, 09:16 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Buy a Jabra speakerphone (http://www.google.com/products/catal...ed=0CE4Q8wIwAA#) and save alot of money. I found it works just as well and is very unobtrusive. Give it a try!

Old 12-18-2010, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by dab1477
Buy a Jabra speakerphone (http://www.google.com/products/catal...ed=0CE4Q8wIwAA#) and save alot of money. I found it works just as well and is very unobtrusive. Give it a try!
How well does this integrate with the rest of the car electronics?

- Tim

Old 12-19-2010, 06:45 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Jabra is standalone. Nothing to hookup to the car.

Old 12-28-2010, 02:22 PM

Tim,
Got your PM. Any way you look at it the bluetooth setup is a bit pricey.

I'd rather have an adapter cable that can be plugged into the existing Motorola receptacle, with a micro USB plug on the other end to connect to my HTC evo. That way it would charge while connected to the exsiting system.

Any ideas?

Old 04-12-2012, 10:52 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by timfountain
Tim,

--> Depends on the revision of the PSE. If it had the Moto V60i then almost certainly yes, you'll need to upgrade it. You need rev AD or later for the PSE to work with the BT module according to all the dealers I have spoken to. Mine was AA (2004 XJ8)....

--> Maybe, see above, depends on the PSE revision.

--> No the Moto cradle plugs into a connector under the rear A/C vents. The Jaguar BT module plugs into the same connector. You will discard the Moto cradle and wires. The BT module is hidden in the arm rest.

--> Why? The BT module includes a pigtail that plugs into the connector you already have. It really is plug and play.

The only minor PIA is getting the older PSE module out. I have a rev AE PSE, the BT module and the microphone for sale (you can use the one that is already installed for your factory phone, it works great and is hidden, unlike the retrofit). I am asking $450 for all of that. The PSE alone is $629 and the BT module is over $200 so I think this is a good deal but I'm open to some light bargaining. It is sitting in the garage collecting dust.....

- Tim
I know its been awhile but do you still have the PSE/bluetooth/microphone? I am in Portland too and would like to buy them.

Old 04-13-2012, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by Cat Owner Oregon
I know its been awhile but do you still have the PSE/bluetooth/microphone? I am in Portland too and would like to buy them.
Sorry long, gone. I would be willing to help you install it if and when you get one. I do have an XJ8 rearview mirror with the integrated Compass if you are interested?

Old 04-13-2012, 11:49 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Cat Owner,

I bought Tim's bluetooth setup and then bought the additional cable harness from Jag dealer but never installed it all in my wife's 04 XJ8. She has been patiently reminding me for a year now but new problems have come up with her car and we may need $$ to fix air suspension and now possible fuel pump (Code P1338 reported after state inspection yesterday!!).

I'll have to discuss with her first.

Old 04-14-2012, 01:00 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Tim, that is nice of you to offer to help, I will likely take you up on it. PM me about the mirror, I am not super interested but if you help me with the bluetooth install I would likely buy it just as a thank you :-)

MBary, Sorry to hear about your car problems but I am interested. I have a long trip coming up that I would like to have bluetooth for. So have a talk with her and send me a PM.

Thanks all

Old 04-15-2012, 11:58 AM
Received 4,464 Likes on 2,427 Posts

If you're interested I have a spare Bluetooth Module 3W83-14B409-AC

You'd have to find the rest of the kit needed though...

PM me we can discuss the price.