XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

How to remove the middle console?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 07:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to remove the middle console?

Is there a reset button for the shift under the middle console? I stuck the shift, I think because while I was backing up and still moving I shifted into drive, then it just stuck in reverse. This happened once on my Honda and there was a rest button to fix it. I really think it is stuck because of my action. Does anyone know how to try this. I think it is under the middle console. I will need exact direction, because I know nothing about cars. First, how do I remove the middle console on a 2004 XJ8?

Old 01-19-2013, 08:58 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Shifter bolts?

Arbus, I'm no expert But it sounds like you are experiencing what a lot of owners experience. There are 2 Bolts that hold the shifter bracket onto the transmission. Try jacking the car up and looking at the transmission housing. You might find a bracket that has lost one or two bolts on the transmission housing. If this is the case I believe it's a pretty simple fix once you have the correct bolts.

Old 01-19-2013, 10:29 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

Agree with above post by Jim, check that first!

Old 01-19-2013, 10:47 PM

Yes, That is what several people have posted. Other than that, is it possible that my action of shifting from reverse to drive with out breaking (yes, I did that) caused it to stick? I was backing out of a parking space at a mall. I had to leave my car there and hitch a ride home. Now, it is a holiday weekend and I am stuck. It was dark and raining at the time. I backed it away from where it got stuck (in the middle of the parking lot). If it was a bolt, I doubt the bolt is still there. It has probably been run over. I have been told to jack up the car and crawl under to attach the bolt. I am a 64 year old divorced woman and would not have the slightest clue. Do I have this towed to a garage? I am praying that it is a simple fix. Is there a reset button for the stick shift? My Honda has one, and the same thing happened once. I was able to fix with the reset button.

I truly appreciate you advice. I always come here when I have a problem.

Old 01-20-2013, 10:17 AM
Received 125 Likes on 65 Posts

There are a couple of possibilities. There is a pin that locks the handle in position so you can't shift out of park unless you have your foot on the brake. Sometimes a problem causes the locking pin to fail to retract. Your Honda may have had a place where you could manually disengage the locking pin, but I haven't heard of a "reset."

If the lever comes out of Park but binds in some other place the odds are that one of the bolts securing the shift cable to the transmission has come out. This would let the bracket pivot and get into a bind.

If the lever moves freely but the car stays in park, then both bolts have probably fallen out, in which case the lever is moving the whole cable back and forth rather than moving the lever on the transmission. Either of the last two scenarios is a simple fix, but you do have to get under the car.

Old 01-20-2013, 12:43 PM

Actually, the lever won't budge. I think this may be due to operator error. I think I may have shifted while the car was moving. Is there any other scenario, that could cause this other than a loose bolt? I went back to the mall lot today where I left my car to see if I could find the bolt. No Luck. Where can I get one? Can the Jag be jacked up with out hurting the air suspension?

Old 01-20-2013, 09:55 PM

Is the lever in park or reverse?

Old 01-21-2013, 06:12 AM

It isn't exactly in the reverse position completely. It is stuck just slightly above, but the car will only go in reverse. I'm wondering if it can even be towed since it is stuck in that position. This is a holiday weekend, so I can't reach my mechanic until tomorrow.

Old 01-21-2013, 10:09 AM

If it came out of park then it's not the locking pin. It's almost certainly something going on with the cable.

Old 01-21-2013, 07:45 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

Can it start? If its stuck in Reverse, you won't be able to start the car (transmission must tell the computer you've got the thing in P or N before it'll crank.

gmcgann is giving some very good avice above. Sadly, unless your mechanic can come out to the parking lot with a jack, you may be forced to bring it to him via a flatbed. Let me at least give you the part number for those bolts, you might want to pick up a couple at the dealer (call first, not all of them stock little stuff like this) for a few dollars each, just in case. Flange head bolts, M6 x 20mm, part no. c2c2045

If you get the bolts, he might be willing to come out and do a field trip and all he'll have to do is jack up the front, crawl under, and check that switch/cable attachment point on the side of the tranny. It can be safely jacked up, don't worry, but if the car height is a little wonky when it gets put back down, just get it running, drive it slowly for a few stop and gos, then shut it off. Let it sit for a few seconds, then start it up again, the air suspension should recalibrate to the proper height. I found this out after taking the wheels off of mine for a long period, then she was really low when I put it back down on the ground. Scared me, but after a new engine cycle, she rose to the set height.

Old 01-22-2013, 06:51 AM

I will do that! Thanks. Interesting, what you said about the air suspension. I had my car towed last year (on a flatbed) over a coolant problem. The mechanic also told me I needed to have the air suspension fixed. That is what concerns me this time. Thanks for the advice. I'm off to get my car towed....

Old 01-22-2013, 07:02 AM

P.S

The car does start. When I do it kind of jerks a little like it is jumping into reverse

Old 01-24-2013, 08:35 PM
Default Shift Problem Resolved

It turned out the problem was caused by a paper clip that fell through the console. Damage :$200.00 :>)

Thank you for all your input. Much appreciated.