XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

How to replace broken center armrest/ console cover on 07 XJR??

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2024, 03:31 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How to replace broken center armrest/ console cover on 07 XJR??

Hi all,

I have an 07 XJR with a center console lid that doesn't latch. It just kind of bounces around and makes noise. I have the rear climate controls so it's the version of center console as shown in the pics below, with the shallow console. 2 Questions:

1. The silver latch on the lid seems to be the culprit as it's broken. Is this replaceable? I see no way to take it off, but if I can just replace the latch that would be great.

2. If I have to replace the whole console lid, how do I get it off? When I took off the rear climate controls I could see the mechanism back there but no visible screws.

Any help or links to previous posts about this would be helpful. The console looks as below:

Old 01-21-2024, 05:46 AM
Received 106 Likes on 73 Posts

The answer is yes, and there's an outfit in England that has replacement parts in the proper colors. Check for a post I made about five years ago on how I did it with my '06 VDP with the rear air conditioning. The post should have the name of the company. I removed the entire console (easy) to get access to the rear of the lid assembly. put it on a work bench, and made the swap. Putting it back in was easy.

Old 01-21-2024, 09:01 AM
Received 171 Likes on 141 Posts
Old 01-21-2024, 01:41 PM
Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by phoretwan
Hi all,

I have an 07 XJR with a center console lid that doesn't latch. It just kind of bounces around and makes noise. I have the rear climate controls so it's the version of center console as shown in the pics below, with the shallow console. 2 Questions:

1. The silver latch on the lid seems to be the culprit as it's broken. Is this replaceable? I see no way to take it off, but if I can just replace the latch that would be great.

2. If I have to replace the whole console lid, how do I get it off? When I took off the rear climate controls I could see the mechanism back there but no visible screws.

Any help or links to previous posts about this would be helpful. The console looks as below:
Hi phoretwan,
The silver latch is connected to the armrest by clipping over two rods. The plastic is moulded to make a sort of keyhole in the silver part. That silver plastic part just pulls off the armrest. There is a small piece of plastic foam that acts as the spring to keep the latch closed.
Examine the latch, and you will see two depressions on the rear part. In the armrest are two metal rods that the latch clips on to. To repair the latch, you need to remake the socket that clips onto the rods. I used some two-part epoxy over two drill bits that simulated the mounting rods. When the epoxy is cured, cut it to allow it to clip over the rods. Not that on each side there is a support for the rod that you need to carve out too.
If that sounds too hard, the part number for the latch is "Console armrest latch, rear seat climate control C2C34128 £17.88 Inc VAT" from Jaguar Land Rover Classic Parts.

Pete M

Old 01-21-2024, 06:13 PM

Thanks Pete, that's helpful - I'll have a look. While I have your attention, have you ever taken the entire console cover/ lid off? I am curious where the screws/ bolts/ clips are to do so. I saw the hinge mechanism when I removed the rear climate controls while changing the clock lightbulb, but I saw no accessible screws or anything. Do you happen to know?

Thanks, P

Old 01-21-2024, 06:14 PM

Thank you Eliot, I will have a look! -P

Old 01-21-2024, 07:08 PM
Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by phoretwan
Thanks Pete, that's helpful - I'll have a look. While I have your attention, have you ever taken the entire console cover/ lid off? I am curious where the screws/ bolts/ clips are to do so. I saw the hinge mechanism when I removed the rear climate controls while changing the clock lightbulb, but I saw no accessible screws or anything. Do you happen to know?

Thanks, P
Hi phoretwan,
I think you need to remove the whole centre console to remove the lid, but that's easy. Section 76.25.01 in the manual shows how. The rear screws are hidden behind vents.

Pete M

Rear console bolts

Old 01-22-2024, 05:11 AM
Received 106 Likes on 73 Posts

It was another outfit --https://www.lucari-solutions.co.uk ... I was involved in a thread in early 2020 about this on the X350 list and replaced my console cover via this firm ... just before my VDP was flattened by a tree. here's a link to the thread -- https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...limate-228082/

Good luck with your project, whether it's a latch repair or replacing the top.