XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

I broke the ECU

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2024, 06:48 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I broke the ECU

Hello.
I broke the ECU while flashing. Is there any chance to save it? SDD doesn't see it (Red cross).
What's the deal with a used one? Could there be a European version? Maybe someone has a Jag x350 j8 4.2 for sale?

Old 06-11-2024, 04:29 PM
Received 8,178 Likes on 4,934 Posts

32 bit recovery.
BE SURE TO USE A SUITABLE POWER SUPPLY TO KEEP POWER TO THE CAR.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
33tl-04-2005_32bitRecovery.pdf (192.4 KB, 37 views)
The following users liked this post:
Don B (06-11-2024)
Old 06-11-2024, 07:13 PM
Received 117 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by motorcarman
32 bit recovery.
BE SURE TO USE A SUITABLE POWER SUPPLY TO KEEP POWER TO THE CAR.
Timing of the disconnect /connect is very critical. If not correct the programming will fail. It does not hurt anything - just means you have to start over and try to get the timing right. You may have to play with your procedure a few times.
If we want to go a step further - the status of the CAN bus can effect the programming. If there are partial shorts on the bus or in the modules communication will be too unreliable to work, even though the car will run without problems. It is possible to work around this but it is a whole other story.

Old 06-12-2024, 03:54 AM
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by MBolo
Hello.
I broke the ECU while flashing. Is there any chance to save it? SDD doesn't see it (Red cross).
What's the deal with a used one? Could there be a European version? Maybe someone has a Jag x350 j8 4.2 for sale?
Can you please describe what went wrong? Do you think you made a mistake during the process?
(I want to enable two market-specific features, so this is my concern too.)

Old 06-12-2024, 04:27 AM

I apologize in advance for any mistakes, I don't speak English and I use Google translator to translate it for me.
I installed sdd128 (ids) on dell under virtual box. Unfortunately, I have a JLR from a Chinese company. I used an 8A power supply and I think it all messed up. after 3 hours everything seemed to have stopped. I could still wait. The battery had a terminal voltage of 10.4 V. Where can I find VDS and how to install it. maybe sdd 168 and my jlr pro cable. Thank you very much in advance for your help.

Old 06-12-2024, 04:28 AM

Where can I find VDS and how to install it. maybe sdd 164 and my jlr pro cable. Thank you very much in advance for your help.

Last edited by MBolo; 06-12-2024 at 10:52 AM.
Old 06-12-2024, 05:33 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mbolo
the battery had a terminal voltage of 10.4 v.
😬😬😬😬😬

Jaroslav Záruba (06-12-2024)
Old 06-12-2024, 08:11 AM

The biggest mistake when flashing a module is to not have a power supply connected with the rating stated by Jaguar! A dip in voltage is a certain killer of modules. The second biggest mistake is using a OBD device of unknown reliability.
I have tried a number of SDD versions and found 131.01 very reliable and up to date for all years of our cars. Also have 143 which switches to the older version automatically - it has some additional features but also lacks others for the older cars.

Old 06-12-2024, 10:35 AM

Does it have to be wds to repair the ecu or is the sdd 131 version sufficient?

Old 06-12-2024, 10:50 AM
Received 100 Likes on 88 Posts

It's just a thought, and take it for what it's worth. If worst gets to worst, you will probably find another ECU inside some salvage yard that has at least one comparable Jaguar that has previously been in a collision.

Old 06-12-2024, 11:01 AM

I have brought ECMs back from the dead, with SDD 131, without ever going to LEGACY WDS.

Jaroslav Záruba (06-12-2024)
Old 06-12-2024, 11:09 AM

I would be grateful for tips on where to download sdd 131 and how to install it on which system. I would also like some tips on how to start it (login, passwords, username).
- I'm really grateful.

Last edited by MBolo; 06-12-2024 at 11:26 AM.
Old 06-12-2024, 11:34 AM

I have both the VM version of 131 and also on dedicated XP Pro. The VM runs without problem and is already set up so is easier to install. My VM runs on a Windows 10 64 bit host. However if I am going to program a module I always use the XP version - it is what the version was programmed for originally.
You don't need a cracked version of 131 - just make sure the computer date is set to around August of 2012. There are many sources for 131 on the web and in the Jaguar forums.
One problem with some of the clone devices is that they do not use the standard driver - can't give advice there since they are all different and I do not use a clone.

Old 06-12-2024, 11:58 AM

Could you give me the directions or upload the version dedicated to XP SDD 131. I wouldn't like to make the mistake again

Old 06-12-2024, 12:41 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by OldKarz
I have brought ECMs back from the dead, with SDD 131, without ever going to LEGACY WDS.
No way!!! Dead ECM got second life? Well, I'm won't be waiting for movie version until if's
become available in the theatres near you but short how-to you've managed to create a miracle,
I'm sure will save many of us unfortunate victims of ECM capricious nature hours and days
to look for Savior..

Last edited by jagxjr; 06-12-2024 at 04:08 PM.
Old 06-12-2024, 04:44 PM
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

However if I am going to program a module I always use the XP version - it is what the version was programmed for originally.
Would one even be able to install XP on any recent machine/laptop?

One problem with some of the clone devices is that they do not use the standard driver - can't give advice there since they are all different and I do not use a clone.
I have (most likely) a clone ready to do some module programming (global close, passenger mirror dip on reverse), but you are making me seriously reconsider. Would you have a link to something that is not a clone please?

Old 06-12-2024, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by jagxjr
No way!!! Dead ECM got second life? Well, I'm won't be waiting for movie version until if's
become available in the theatres near you but short how-to you've managed to create a miracle,
I'm sure will save many of us unfortunate victims of ECM capricious nature hours and days
to look for Savior..
Jaguar put out a TSB on how to get a non-communicating ECM to reload the flash. They did it since the techs were replacing them, when they would not communicate, and it was costing them a fortune in warranty repairs. It is built into SDD and comes up automatically if a dead ECM is trying to be flashed.
Note: This will not help ECMs that are electronically damages - only program damaged.
Can't think of TSB number at the moment.

Old 06-12-2024, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by Jaroslav Záruba
Would one even be able to install XP on any recent machine/laptop?

There are many inexpensive older used machines out there that XP Pro will run on. It is best to use a dedicated laptop for 131 SDD. That being said I have mine dual boot XP/windows 7 and run 143 on Windows 7.

I have (most likely) a clone ready to do some module programming (global close, passenger mirror dip on reverse), but you are making me seriously reconsider. Would you have a link to something that is not a clone please?
I do not know how dangerous it is to just change configurations. I do not think it writes the main FLASH so it is possible a clones mistakes may not be disastrous. Never needed to change config and I don't use a clone so others would have to jump in.
I purchased a JLR VCI directly from Diagnostic Associates so I would not have to worry about it being a clone with random issues. You would need to update the driver from the one in 131 to get it to link.

Old 06-12-2024, 07:26 PM

There are a few online download sites. It is a very large file so be prepared to wait a while. Tools4car offer it online with 131 and calibration files - not sure if any also include As_Built files. If you already have 131.03 running on an XP Pro it will most likely be fine since this version does not need to be cracked.
As stated before I do have the VM version running on my Windows 10 64 bit computer and never had problems with it for diagnosis. However I have never tried programming an ECM using it.

Old 06-12-2024, 07:51 PM
Received 8,178 Likes on 4,934 Posts

The TSB I posted is from the era of WDS. IDS is basically THE SAME software with a different computer and Vehicle Communication Module!!!!!!!!!!
Simply substitute the letters WDS with IDS.

SDD should revert to LEGACY IDS when the car is within a VIN range.

The reason Jaguar issued the TSB is because the ECM would not respond during a LOW VOLTAGE situation.
We were advised to use a common battery charger to prevent this fault.(tech line advised a battery charger during configuration)
After the TSB was issued, Jaguar refused to warranty modules that were allowed to fail due to 'low voltage'.

Later a dedicated LOW RIPPLE charger was mandated (and sold to dealers) to ensure a 'CLEAN' power supply during module configuration.

In the early days we just used a common 50 amp 'plug-in' battery charger to keep the battery up.
Maybe some of the cheap or faulty chargers were found to be inadequate for a 'clean power supply'.

An alternator might not be a really 'clean' power supply, but it does not usually cause module problems!!!!! (it's a 3 phase dirty machine with diodes to convert it to DC)
I would be MORE CONCERNED with keeping the 'power-up' than with how 'clean' the supply was.

It seems the later the cars are, the greater concern for a cleaner power supply. (pre-VID block cars seem more 'bullet-proof')

Don B (06-13-2024)

Quick Reply: I broke the ECU