XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

I broke the ECU

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2024, 11:42 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by OldKarz
Note: This will not help ECMs that are electronically damages - only program damaged.t.
How to distinguish one from another?
Jag dealer told me that 2 of my ECM can't be programmed
without providing any evidence why. It wouldn't stop them
to charge me $206 for requested programming of ECM
and $206 for 2 keys they never succeed. BTW, isn't keys
programming a part of programming ECM?

Last edited by jagxjr; 06-13-2024 at 11:44 AM.
Old 06-13-2024, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by motorcarman
I would be MORE CONCERNED with keeping the 'power-up' than with how 'clean' the supply was.
I have charger with Start option pumping 110Ams
would be keeping charger in Start mode enough?

Old 06-13-2024, 12:08 PM
Received 117 Likes on 98 Posts

It depends. The voltage required for programming has both a low and high range. If the ripple from your charger is beyond either of those it may cause problems. Chargers are not high tech as far as output for electronics are concerned. The charger's hope is that the battery will even it out a bit.

Old 06-13-2024, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by motorcarman
The TSB I posted is from the era of WDS. IDS is basically THE SAME software with a different computer and Vehicle Communication Module!!!!!!!!!!
Simply substitute the letters WDS with IDS.

SDD should revert to LEGACY IDS when the car is within a VIN range.

The reason Jaguar issued the TSB is because the ECM would not respond during a LOW VOLTAGE situation.
We were advised to use a common battery charger to prevent this fault.(tech line advised a battery charger during configuration)
After the TSB was issued, Jaguar refused to warranty modules that were allowed to fail due to 'low voltage'.

Later a dedicated LOW RIPPLE charger was mandated (and sold to dealers) to ensure a 'CLEAN' power supply during module configuration.

In the early days we just used a common 50 amp 'plug-in' battery charger to keep the battery up.
Maybe some of the cheap or faulty chargers were found to be inadequate for a 'clean power supply'.

An alternator might not be a really 'clean' power supply, but it does not usually cause module problems!!!!! (it's a 3 phase dirty machine with diodes to convert it to DC)
I would be MORE CONCERNED with keeping the 'power-up' than with how 'clean' the supply was.

It seems the later the cars are, the greater concern for a cleaner power supply. (pre-VID block cars seem more 'bullet-proof')
Originally Posted by jagxjr
How to distinguish one from another?
There are many ways they can fail. Water from clogged drains is very common and may not be recoverable - sometimes removing its top and cleaning the board is enough - other times the corrosion is too bad to overcome. Removing battery power too soon on shut down can also cause programming issues since it cannot do a proper shutdown. Also programming without a proper power supply is one of the most common failures. Other electronic components can randomly fail and are hard to deal with without a complete understanding of the circuits.
If the software does not offer the recovery route it may mean the board is toast. If the recovery mode quits without fixing the problem it is worth trying number of times since the timing is extremely critical.

Jag dealer told me that 2 of my ECM can't be programmed
without providing any evidence why. It wouldn't stop them
to charge me $206 for requested programming of ECM
and $206 for 2 keys they never succeed. BTW, isn't keys
programming a part of programming ECM?
Although the same program can be used for both ECM and keys it is a separate part of the program and would take a little longer to complete. It is odd, though possible that the 2 ECMs are bad. There is no real way of guessing if they are or just need additional process to program.

Old 06-13-2024, 01:12 PM

Although the same program can be used for both ECM and keys it is a separate part of the program and would take a little longer to complete. It is odd, though possible that the 2 ECMs are bad. There is no real way of guessing if they are or just need additional process to program.
Correct me if I'm wrong.
Are you saying that keys can be programmed
regardless if you have working or not working ECM?
As far as I know from UT video, SDD is asking if
you have 2 keys to program? Am I wrong?

Old 06-13-2024, 01:36 PM

The anti theft system - key programming etc. - is dependent on the ECM since it has the security code embedded. A number of other modules also have the code and that is why you shouldn't just randomly swap modules from one car to the other and expect it to run. Each module that has the code, not every one does, is queried and all must match before the car will start. When the system is happy you can then code the keys so they will get the same security code as the other modules. It only takes one module with the wrong code to prevent running.

Old 06-13-2024, 01:40 PM
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by MBolo
I apologize in advance for any mistakes, I don't speak English and I use Google translator to translate it for me.
I installed sdd128 (ids) on dell under virtual box. Unfortunately, I have a JLR from a Chinese company. I used an 8A power supply and I think it all messed up. after 3 hours everything seemed to have stopped. I could still wait. The battery had a terminal voltage of 10.4 V. Where can I find VDS and how to install it. maybe sdd 168 and my jlr pro cable. Thank you very much in advance for your help.
You wil need a stabilized power supply capable of at least 25A, 8A is definitely not sufficient as the car uses up to 20A when connected to SDD or IDS.

Best regards,

Thomas

Old 06-13-2024, 01:55 PM

When the system is happy you can then code the keys so they will get the same security code as the other modules. It only takes one module with the wrong code to prevent running.
The reason I'm asking is, I will have keys programmer
to try my third ECM.today. I hope he'll succeed then I'll
know I definitely need to reprogram that ECM

Is anybody need 2 not working ECMs

Old 06-13-2024, 02:00 PM

The amperage also depends on year. The newer ones should have over 40 A capacity. Even my 2004 draws close to 40 when the initial test runs.

Old 06-13-2024, 02:05 PM

I don't think they should be able to reprogram the keys until all modules have the same security code. Have you changed out any other modules? Is the ECM the only one with a red cross? Do you still have your original ECM that ran the car before miss-program? Why were you programming it to begin with?

Old 06-13-2024, 09:35 PM

I don't think they should be able to reprogram the keys until all modules have the same security code.
You were right, trial to program failed miserably. Key programming computer
managed to connected to my third ECM but it simply ignored request

Have you changed out any other modules?
No, I didn't

Is the ECM the only one with a red cross?
We wouldn't plug SDD in because locksmith don't know how to use it

Do you still have your original ECM that ran the car before miss-program? Why were you programming it to begin with?
Well, It was flooded 10 years ago. I got another one and while original was serviced,
we've programmed it and it was working till last 3 weeks. Nothing is lasting forever.
Original, as I've mentioned before, couldn't be programmed by the dealer.

Last edited by jagxjr; 06-13-2024 at 09:40 PM.
Old 06-14-2024, 09:36 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't run the software loading procedure to the ecm in sdd131. How to do it ?

Old 06-14-2024, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by MBolo
I can't run the software loading procedure to the ecm in sdd131. How to do it ?
What user name and password you are using?

Old 06-15-2024, 12:43 AM

User ID: JLRQ5013
Password: L405X152

I chose the first dealer. Which one should it be?

Last edited by MBolo; 06-15-2024 at 12:45 AM.
Old 06-15-2024, 04:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 342 Likes on 260 Posts

Several years ago I bought a SDD v131-03 (the last "autonomous" version of SDD), with the calibration files on two DVD's, from a reliable seller in the UK.
I also bought a Mongoose clone (not willing, at the time, to spend 500 bucks for the Drew Tech "original-like" device). In case my car would need it some day...
I installed the soft on a heavy duty dual core Panasonic laptop, working on XP Pro 32, the same stuff that JLR was using for their dealer IDS-SDD devices.
I then completely removed access to internet to avoid any updates by mistake.

After having worked for some time on my car using the Mongoose and a cheapo chinese power supply (what a crap!), I saw that this material was not up to the task (unreliable access to SDD, unstable power) and I bought a genuine used "factory" VCM from Cambo (a rare opportunity, I don't know if Cambo is still active here, thanks to him) and I sourced a professional Astron 50 Amps stabilised power supply.
Never regretted going to the real stuff, never had any issue to access all the diagnostics on my Super V8!
Cambo also provided me with IDS v125, IDS v 118-5 and IDS 115 on a USB stick, so all the precious legacy softwares, in case.

I realise today how all this rare material is a treasure!
Of course it is not easiliy transportable so that I also have a iCarsoft LRV in my glovebox for quick diagnostics along the road, but the VCM/SDD/Astron set is what is needed for any serious diagnostic and work on the X350 when needed.
I will keep that material as long as I have my Super V8 and it will go to the next owner if I ever sell the car.

The following users liked this post:
Jaroslav Záruba (06-15-2024)
Old 06-15-2024, 08:22 AM

If you ever want to sell, let me know. I'm looking for a Super V8.
Send photos.

The following users liked this post:
BReyes (06-22-2024)
Old 06-15-2024, 10:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,426 Likes on 1,906 Posts

If your looking for SDD software take a look at what our UK friends have provided?
Full disc images of different versions of SDD. All for free too.
SDD Versions-Disc Image

Old 06-15-2024, 05:49 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Based in PL I highly doubt you'll import Super V8 from US

Old 06-16-2024, 02:03 AM

People bring a lot of cars with soul from the USA to Poland

Old 06-16-2024, 02:11 AM

Does anyone really know what problem I may have that the ECU programming procedure does not appear in sdd 131 and 168? Please help

Quick Reply: I broke the ECU