XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

I need a 12v power source near the rearview mirror

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 07:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need a 12v power source near the rearview mirror

I am looking to install a radar detector module near the rearview mirror. I bought a Cobra XRS-R10G unit, so you mount a module up there, which needs a permanent 12v power source, and then you get a remote display to put wherever you want.

Has anyone opened up the rearview mirror mount? I'm pretty sure there is a 12v power source in there, since it is an auto-dimming mirror with some other tech built in. Alternatively, there has to be a 12v leade up there somewhere which connects to the garage door remote transmitter buttons.

Any ideas? Does anyone have a wiring diagram? I anticipate there will be a number of wires up there, and I'd like to get it right the first time. I need the + and - wires to connect this little guy.

The radar detector seems pretty cool. It has a gps stick that you plug into your computer and it downloads red light cameras and speed traps, then it tells you when you get close to them when driving. As soon as I get this think wired up, I will post a real-world review of using it in Chicago, where we now have a large number of red light cameras.

Thanks everyone!

-Tom

Old 06-17-2010, 07:49 PM

I forgot to mention that I am driving a 2005 XJR. That would probably help, huh?

Old 06-17-2010, 08:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,261 Likes on 565 Posts

In the garage door opener module there are two wires; one is black and pink and the other is brown and red. The Black/Pink is the chassis ground/negative, and the Brown/Red is the +12vdc.

Someone else will have to tell you how to crack it open. I'm not that good with the JTIS yet.

I like the idea of permanently mounting a radar detector up there, though. I'm going to have to look into that Cobra. With a convertible I'd be too worried about someone slicing the top to steal it. But if it's a two-piece system, you could always lock the display end into the glove box.

Old 06-18-2010, 01:08 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I purchased a Valentine 1 last year after reading many reviews and the thing has saved my butt many times and keeps me honest driving a fast/quiet car on the interstate (my other vehicle is a Cadillac CTS-V; my wife doesn't let me take the Jag alone...like I'd drive fast or something. I like the V1 because of the arrow location display... the V1 also comes with a remote display which I have mounted on the steering columb right in front of the speedo... just an opinion

Old 06-18-2010, 08:25 PM

I decided to run the wire along the top of the windshield, down the passenger side A column, and then down to the fuse box near tyhe passenger footwell. There was a big fuse that I could not hide by tapping into the power up near the mirror, but I was able to tuck that away nicely in the car's fusebox.

Once I drive the car for a few days with the red light camera detector running, I'll post that review. So far, the product seems well made and nicely designed.

Old 06-19-2010, 01:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Originally Posted by tlombard77

The radar detector seems pretty cool. It has a gps stick that you plug into your computer and it downloads red light cameras and speed traps, then it tells you when you get close to them when driving. As soon as I get this think wired up, I will post a real-world review of using it in Chicago, where we now have a large number of red light cameras.

Thanks everyone!

-Tom

Hi Guys, can't help you with the wiring side of this thread, but maybe you can help me out.

What is a 'red light camera detector' this conjures up all sorts of images none of which have to do with driving? LOL

Old 06-19-2010, 08:50 AM

Throughout many cities, there are cameras which automatically take photos of vehicles that the cameras "think" have gone through a red light illegally. You do not even know it happened, and then you get a ticket in the mail for a lot of money. It is impossible to challenge the ticket because they have photos of your car. The problem is that these cameras send tickets to people that legally stopped and then turned right on red, perfectly legally. They also ticket people that stop, albeit an inch over the line in the street.

These cameras cause accidents. People are now slamming on their brakes when the lights turn yellow, out of fear of tickets. The new radar detectors have a GPS module that knows when your car is approaching a red light camera. You update the detector's database every so often by plugging the GPS module into your computer. This improves safety because you know that people might be slamming on their brakes at the upcoming intersection. You also know that you cannot turn (even legally) at the red light, because it will probably send you a ticket.

Old 06-19-2010, 01:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Ah thanks for the info. Over here in Europe a red traffic light means stop, do not move at all. (no filtering right turns either).

So you go directly from Green to Red, with no Amber in between to let you know that you are going to have to stop in the next few seconds or so?

I realized today that from where I live my nearest set of traffic lights is about 15 miles away!

Last edited by Translator; 06-19-2010 at 03:20 PM. Reason: missing i
Old 06-30-2010, 01:45 PM
Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

Buy a test light from your local auto parts store and you should be easily able to find the power source you're looking for.

I wrote up a wiring doc for the V-1 in my XK, do a search in the Audio/Electronics section, if that might help get you started.