XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

I need help quick!

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2012, 11:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need help quick!

There is a dealer that has an '04 Jaguar XJ8 for $10k and I have just about that much to spend. But I have to know the reliability factor. How much are they to repair the common problems (if any) but I love the car and I've heard such good things about it. Please guys help me!

Old 11-26-2012, 02:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,462 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Hi Christian

These are pretty good cars, but you do need to be aware that any parts peculiar to this XJ that you might need reflect the price when new if purchased at a Jaguar dealer. $10k will get you a lot of car, and it should have many miles left in it. Some people have taken these cars to over 150k miles, some over 200k, so they can run the Marathon for you provided they are maintained correctly.

Regarding parts, the aftermarket is always busy and hardworking for us poor secondhand Jaguar owners, so much is available on the internet at much less cost.

You really need to look around the X350 model forum to see what owners get up to, and what happens to the cars, but don't be put off. Most people will post because of a problem, those that are happy tend to just keep schtumm. FWFI I bought my 2003 in May 2010 at 30k miles and am now on nearly 65K with two holiday trips to Germany under its belt.

These cars are peculiar in that they have an air suspension system, and some people have had trouble, but not all. Main component which is not long lived is the air suspension compressor, but plenty at reasonable prices on the internet, and just this week we have had a chap join us who is making the compressor piston seal as a repair kit. The irony is that he is an Audi enthusiast, and these kits are for Audis, but the compressor is the same as the Jaguar one, made by Wabco.

I could go on and on with things to look for, but really, the main thing is to check the provenance of the car; has it been looked after ? has the owner done all the little jobs that come up ? etc So a test drive is a must, plus evidence of maintenance and servicing.

The following 2 users liked this post by Fraser Mitchell:
anindyam (11-27-2012), JimC64 (11-27-2012)
Old 11-26-2012, 10:16 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

Depending on the mileage, you'll want to make sure all the electronics work, climate controls hot/cold are good, and the suspension bushings front and rear are also still good. No use buying a car and having to do $1000 in control arm and sway bar bushings and end links... and check the tie rod ends too.

Old 11-27-2012, 10:19 AM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Christian Barnes

I too purchased a 2004 XJ8 in February of this year for about $10k. Mine is a VDP with 122k miles. It had 112k when I bought it. I love this car but I would reiterate what's been said about the bushings, etc. I replaced the front right lower control arm with a reconditioned one found on the internet. So far, my ownership experience has been good but I did recently have to replace the airbag cassette (clockspring) and that was a few hundred dollars. I have not yet had any suspension problems (knock on wood) and I just love to drive my Jag. Everyone comments on how nice my car is. Oh, by the way, my gas mileage is 19 around town and 28 on the highway. Have the car checked out by a professional and good luck.

Old 11-29-2012, 04:36 PM
Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

Coolant tank is another item that has been repaired by numerous owners, not expensive but something to check. Have you taken the car to a mechanic you trust? how many miles on the car? repairs tend to be pricy a dealers, will you be doing your own repairs or depending on others?

Old 12-11-2012, 12:07 PM

I own a black on black 04 xj8 bought it 3 months ago with 79k miles. This is one of the most rare and luxurious cars on the road new or old. I get compliments all over, from everyone and everywhere now and its an '04! Sounds like a good buy, just make sure under 85-90k miles, a good color[does make a difference], make sure in good condition, check all electronics, suspension, check carfax and pay attention to any repairs that may be listed, do not get a jag that has been in accident. I can guarantee you'll love this vehicle, rear wheel drive, 300-400hp, very fast, special vehicle, super luxurious esp w/ nav. it is expensive to maintain though. to put that in perspective: engine coolant usually costs $5-10 3.78 liters, I paid $36 for 2 liters of jaguar coolant.

Old 05-18-2013, 02:51 PM

Bringing up an old thread, but I was looking at buying an 04 as well and had the same question. I've been looking at cars around $10-12k with 50-70k miles, and wanted to ballpark annual maintenance costs (I would guess $1k a year with a contingency for one off hits?)

From what I've seen the sagging headliner and air suspension are the biggest issues, any other $1k+ issues I should know about?

Old 05-18-2013, 04:01 PM
Veteran Member

Its not so much the air suspension, which is pretty reliable. The air compressor is the part that wears out quickly, but now a member is selling piston seal kits that put things right and make the compressor last much longer (see member 'bagpipingandy') . He also makes seals for Audi and other makes using the same compressor.

Air springs are expensive and some US owners seem to suffer failures, whereas here in the (wet and cold) UK this is rare. Is it the damp, I ask myself ? For US owners, you can always buy rebuilt or new Arnott units.

The thing that I don't like is the short life of the suspension bushes with some replacements costing far too much. However, even here the aftermarket is active so costs are now much less. Most of the suspension is common with the S-type, apart from the air springs, of course.

There is a little issue called "the hunting syndrome" which occurs whilst the transmission oil is warming up,, and car is in a high gear on light throttle. The rev counter will show a 50-100 rev hunting as you drive along. It all disappears when hot. I have had three TCM reflashes to try to cure it but it's still there. Now I just put the tranny in '4' for a few miles if I'm tootling along a slow road.

Other thing is the rear brakes; they wear quicker than the fronts ! This is due to the car using the rear brakes instead of Jaguar installing an LSD.

Apart from this, most other things seem to be minor, but can sometimes be a bit of a nuisance. For instance, I had headlight flickering from the time I bought the car, only fixed late last year when a new lights switch was fitted on the steering column binnacle.

Old 05-19-2013, 04:29 AM

Thanks for the reply Fraser! I live in Portland, which is similarly rainy and humid but even still, the Arnott conversion for $1300+labor doesn't seem to be a bad option.

The minor niggles and quirks I actually don't mind so much, I've had my current car for seven years and it has its fair share of oddities but the big ticket items do worry me. I've read of a few people dropping $2k+ in their first month of ownership, which seems excessive. It's not that I can't afford to pay more than $1k a year in maintenance, it's more so that at that level, the appeal of the car to me slightly diminishes. (I'm an accountant, what can I say!)

Old 05-19-2013, 03:23 PM
Veteran Member

I forgot to mention the"filiform corrosion" syndrome. This is common to all aluminium bodied but also painted, transport equipment, rail, road, air. Aluminium with paint on it can suffer from corrosion starting at a site where the paint has a small, (even tiny) defect, air is excluded, but moisture is present. It creeps under the paint getting more water from the atmosphere via a process called 'osmosis'. It is unsightly, but that's about it, however depending on where it manifests itself, can be cheap or expensive to correct. Normal places are: -

- leading edge of trunk lid caused by crevice between lid and lip on lower screen seal. Cut that lip off to permanently cure problem as the lip does absolutely nothing !
- Creep-out from crevice above chrome number platelight plinth on trunk lid
- rear corners of doors front or rear, (not sure why this occurrs)
- Creep-out from rear screen seal by the D post. Expensive to fix properly as the screen has to come out.

SInce I had my corrosion fixed in 2010, problem has not returned.

Old 05-27-2013, 07:36 PM

Thank for all the information! I'm so torn, it's a beautiful, beautiful car but with my luck I'll get a lemon.

Old 05-28-2013, 04:41 AM
Veteran Member

but with my luck I'll get a lemon
Don't be so gloomy ! You can get a lemon with any used car, as so much depends on the first owner and how careful he/she was with the car - maintenance at correct intervals etc.

I've had my car now for three years and its running perfectly at the moment (knock on wood !!!). I have had to do a few jobs that I would rather I had not had to do, but I'm keeping the car for a few more years yet. Some people have these over 200k miles and going strong. There is a very strong after market for Jaguar parts, so you don't have to pay main dealer prices for the usual stuff.

Old 05-28-2013, 11:21 AM

I bought an 04 in March of 2012 with 43,000 in Portland, live in Walla Walla. It now has 65,000 and has been a wonderful car. Best driving, handling car i have owned. I do get an air Suspension Fault during cold weather, but the car always sits and handles fine. As Fraser says, it is probably the compressor, which I will tackle this summer. My fuel mileage has been incredible and I have had no other issues with the car, although I think my coolant tank might be leaking a little. Engine and transmission has performed flawlessly. I paid $13,000 for mine and added wheels and a navigation/bluetooth system.

Old 05-29-2013, 04:54 PM

hey, I also have a little coolant leaking from coolant tower, dealer wants $800... what do you plan to do with your coolant issue? I have just been refilling just a bit every so often... What are you doing to get by with this issue??? Thanks!