XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

I think I made a mistake buying XJ8

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 11:03 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I suggest you immediately go out and buy a second car just like the one you currently own. That will increase the probability (by about 20%) that either one will start, run and get you where you are going.

Twotone

Old 02-24-2010, 07:54 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you lose $2K on the sale you have lost enough to cover the suspension repair and a throttle body (the two most common repairs)--just saying not to react too emotionally. You should probably have the suspension fixed before trying to sell the car or it will show up again at the worst possible time (Murphy has a sense of humor).

Old 02-24-2010, 09:32 AM
Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Clifsmith
While I absolutely love my car, I am terrified of it breaking down. I must admit I got caught up in the prestige of owning the car and it really is a sweet car, plus I got it for wholesale. I will not be able to afford the ridiculous prices the dealer charges for parts and attorney level rates for service. What a joke. It is running fine and is as smooth as silk, but I am a poor man driving a rich mans car. I am mechanical and can do a lot of things myself, but this is a highly complex car that requires many specialty tools to repair. When it breaks down, you can almost bet, I won't be able to diagnose and or repair. Every time I drive this thing I pray that it won't break. Now that the novelty has worn off and reality has set in, I think I am going to sell it. Just not for me from that aspect. I will get something simpler and japanese.

I heard that Toyota and Lexus are really good vehicles....there's a company that stands behind it's product and is concerned about customer safety. NOT....a bunch of liars that knew there was a problem in the first place but instead choose to ignore it $$$$ while people paid the ultimate price for owning one of their vehicles. I hope you can handle the potential high price of owning a Toyota.....

Last edited by tommyd; 02-24-2010 at 09:48 AM.
Old 02-24-2010, 10:12 AM

You can count on a Toyota/Lexus to take you to the scene of the accident without breaking down.

Old 02-24-2010, 10:13 AM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

which I paid $12,900 for with 83k miles for a 2004 xj8 with Nav),
What could you have bought new for 12K? Nothing. With that budget, you could only afford something used. All used cars are 'used' meaning that they're closer to the point in time when parts wearing out than new cars.

Part of the logic when buying used is budgeting for making repairs for worn out parts sooner than for a new car- ie it's not just a matter of paying for the car at purchase and you're 'done'.

Buying a new econo box might cost 20K or more and mid size sedan would be 25K or more, so you were already 8-13K to the good as you drove off the lot.

Spending the mtce. money now is part of the game.

I'm still up at least 10K on my car after 4 yrs of ownership.

Old 02-24-2010, 12:17 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikey
What could you have bought new for 12K? Nothing. With that budget, you could only afford something used. All used cars are 'used' meaning that they're closer to the point in time when parts wearing out than new cars.

Part of the logic when buying used is budgeting for making repairs for worn out parts sooner than for a new car- ie it's not just a matter of paying for the car at purchase and you're 'done'.

Buying a new econo box might cost 20K or more and mid size sedan would be 25K or more, so you were already 8-13K to the good as you drove off the lot.

Spending the mtce. money now is part of the game.

I'm still up at least 10K on my car after 4 yrs of ownership.

Before my Jag, I have always and I mean always owned Japanese cars. I have never had unexpected major repairs with any of them, and most of them I had no repairs at all other than typical brakes, struts, etc. I have never "budgeted" money for repairs since I never had the need. That is what I am used to thinking. I will never budget money for unexpected repairs. I usually buy used cars just out of warranty period, since that is the best time to buy price wise for the newest possible vehicle. I figure I can get close to what I paid for the Jag and can get a nice reliable, SIMPLE EASY TO FIX, vehicle. There are a ton of Accords and camry's out there for that price. I might even go to a CRV (100% from japan). The more American a car is the crappier it is. True Japanese vehicles are hands down the most reliable (low cost to own) cars on the market.

Old 02-24-2010, 12:46 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

True Japanese vehicles are hands down the most reliable (low cost to own) cars on the market.
You're kdding right? You're in for a real treat I imagine.

Keep the flames down guys (my crystal ball is on fire)

Old 02-24-2010, 01:50 PM

Japanese cars are the cheapest to own? The more American a car is the crappier it is?

Not so good with the statistics are you?

If that is what you really believe, enjoy your mobile toaster. It is worth mentioning that the most common failure item on our Jags is the Throttle Position Sensor which is made by Denso (Toyota), I guess the more Japanese they make our cars the crappier they are.

BTW--if you are not budgeting for unexpected expenses or can't then you may want to take a look at your spending habits as stuff happens, no matter what you drive.

Old 02-24-2010, 02:34 PM
Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Before my Jag, I have always and I mean always owned Japanese cars. I have never had unexpected major repairs with any of them, and most of them I had no repairs at all other than typical brakes, struts, etc. I have never "budgeted" money for repairs since I never had the need. That is what I am used to thinking. I will never budget money for unexpected repairs. I usually buy used cars just out of warranty period, since that is the best time to buy price wise for the newest possible vehicle. I figure I can get close to what I paid for the Jag and can get a nice reliable, SIMPLE EASY TO FIX, vehicle. There are a ton of Accords and camry's out there for that price. I might even go to a CRV (100% from japan). The more American a car is the crappier it is. True Japanese vehicles are hands down the most reliable (low cost to own) cars on the market.
I had your back till this post. That is the most absolutely absurd comment. It is this believe that causes the American Manufacturers to be in the ground. I dont generalize as makes you ignorant and oblivious to things. If you had good luck with a particular model then horray but dont start to generalize. Jaguars have made very good cars, Pick up a 95 XJ and jack up the miles that car is a tank. All manufacturers have problem cars it just happens that the S-Type and this particular XJ are simply crap. Toyota has also make a handfull of crappy cars. So has Honda, Look up Oddessey trans problems. Do your research and dont generalize. May the best car win............

Old 02-24-2010, 03:14 PM

I have never "budgeted" money for repairs since I never had the need. That is what I am used to thinking. I will never budget money for unexpected repairs.
I've edited out the comments about US vs Japanese car comments as you're already getting a good flaming over those. It appears that my example of buying a high end luxury car for 12K and leaving an equal amount aside for mtce over the years versus blowing 25K all at once for a new 'blah' car and having nothing in reserve doesn't appeal to you.

If you never budget for repairs, what will you do when your car does go 'bang, clunk, screech'. They all do, sooner or later.

Old 02-24-2010, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by h20boy
(my crystal ball is on fire)

Ooooo, that's got to smart, no?

Old 02-24-2010, 03:45 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The OP has a valid point.
Years ago I went to buy a new Buick for a family car and drove off instead in a 2 year old Maserati BiTurbo - same price, same warranty - with 6,000 miles on it.
I "Italianized" it (un-EPA-DOTed) and it was a screaming little box.
Repairs were an absurdity, however. The warranty company went broke and I essentially dumped it. Basically gave it away.
The attitude of the *******s at Maserati was "if you can't afford repairs then you are too poor to drive a Maserati."
Jaguars are what I call toy-cars. Novelties. Rich folks buy what they want and us wanna-bees buy their used toys for pennies on the dollar. We don't have $80 to $100K to spend on a car. Or maybe just frugal enough to realize we can buy that same car - like new with warranty - in a few years saving months or a year's income doing so.
But if we are wise, we will treat it as our novelty car, not our necessary daily driver.
My wife has a toy car too, a 1970 Mini with a 92 motor and ac. Its been in the shop 2 weeks (again) now. Her daily driver? A 2004 Ford Ranger XLT stepside 4X4 with 100K plus miles on it. Because we have 5 vehicles, 2 of which are toys we are never grounded and our toys last longer and cost less to keep going. ALL 5 cost far less to buy than 1 new Jag would - and my 05KXR is superior to most Jags still or about anything new out there.

HERE IS THE REALITY...

Jaguars also are very limited production cars - meaning mechanics, people-in-the-know, new parts and even used parts are through the celling. For example, on parts someone is selling the 3 grill pieces for an 02 XK8 for $500 - off the $1200 dealer price.
I just bought a new (aftermarket) front bumper, grill, grill screen and logo for our old Ford Ranger for $just at $300 for all - including shipping.
It's a stepside (sport side), red, some kid has it before me so a loud exhaust, decent wheels, tires, and raise up a bit. Paid $2500 for it - gone 30,000+ miles with zero repairs (until I hit a pole at 5 mph zoning out while messing with putting away my laptop). Then it was a $300 do-it-yourself body repair. A couple years ago, I had a new V6 put into a 4X4 ranger by the dealer for just over $4K, including a 75K warranty on it.
BUT, no matter what I did to those Rangers or even bought a new one for $30K plus, they could never, ever equal a nice old Jag.

Jags are expensive cars. IF you need a car for utility (go to work, school, grocery store, kids to school), I suggest buying an American econ-to-midsize car. They're usually good to at least 150,000 miles and you can find them all over for around $2000-3000 with a clean body and interior in the 100K mile range.
Or maybe a little pickup.
Make THAT your daily driver. Drive IT to work. Put the miles on it. Run that one into the ground.
Then you have the utility... and you have your showboat Jaguar.
I DON'T daily drive my 05 XKR I just bought. Why? Costs of wear and tear. I drive on of three 3 old pickups we have (single cab ranger, 4X4 XL ranger and a chevy dually). I bought them cheap and I'll drive them into the ground - unless a repair is worth more than the value and then I'll junk it.

Unless you can sling money at a novelty car, it can't be your daily car. But nothing stops you from having 2 cars and that makes the most sense. A cheap, reliable car (I suggest American and common for easy of repairs and cheap parts), and then your special occasions car.

I do the same with boats. I run around in an old bass pro I bought for $3K, not my 100 mph picklefork.

So I guess I fully agree with your concerns. But I disagree that you can't afford to own and drive a Jaguar. Rather, I think you can't afford a Jaguar as your daily driver. You wouldn't pick between a Harley and a car. Instead, you'd take a lesser car to have the Harley too. Look at your Jag that way. It's like a motorcycle or boat. Then you can both have your utility car and Jaguar - meaning you can be "RICH" even though you're not. NICE.

That is the biggest plus of used, clean super costly cars. I can park next to an new $50,000 Escalade, or any other $40-60K new luxury car - and everyone looks at my $30K Jag and figures I'm the guy with the money. Same with a clean '98 XK8 for $10K. Same for your Jaguar. Park it next to an new Chrysler 300C hemi? Everyone figures your the winner even economically. That's their VALUE. Not as a practical daily driver. Rich people don't pour the miles on them anyway, it's poor people who do. Rich people buy them as toys.

You don't wear your finest clothes to work nor just have one shirt and pants. Why have just one vehicle? So instead of a $25,000 Toyo or whatever, why not a $3000 econo or midsized box or little pickup and your Jaguar too? I believe that is absolutely the most bang for the buck for us "not rich" guys. If you truly are "poor" get rid of the Jag while it's still working even if at a large lose. Hard to sell a broken car you can't afford to fix.

I suspect that a poll asking if their Jaguar is their ONLY vehicle, most will answer no. They're not that kind of car. Neither is a Ferrari or Lambo.

Last edited by dfwx; 02-24-2010 at 04:07 PM.
Old 02-24-2010, 03:55 PM

"My crystal ball is on fire"

I got that once in college from a waitress on the Cape, a topical cream will clear that burning right up.

Old 02-24-2010, 04:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,451 Likes on 1,949 Posts

Let's hope the brakes work on your new Toyota !

Old 02-24-2010, 04:34 PM
Veteran member

Rich people don't pour the miles on them anyway, it's poor people who do. Rich people buy them as toys.
Com'on man, now that's another generalization you should be careful of making.

I suppose I'm right there in the middle...neither rich, nor poor because I can (and do) drive mine as a daily vehicle, rain/shine/snow. I do, however, keep some funds aside for repairs...like my recent $350 power steering leak. When this thing is paid off, If I put aside a couple hundred dollars a month for repairs, I'll be way ahead in the long run, and hopefully if the mechanical gods are merciful, won't need all of it and have a little nestegg for deposit on a 2nd car.

Its not THAT much more expensive to drive/own one of these cars, like any other 7 year old vehicle. Sure, jags air compressor idea didn't hold up so well...that's why its not in the 2010 XJ. They're learning, and adapting at all times. It just took them 5 years to realize it wasn't a good, lasting suspension system.

Old 02-24-2010, 04:36 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

All I was doing was expressing my opinion based on which cars IN MY EXPERIENCE I have had good luck with and my budget concerns with my continued ownership of the jaguar. All your flaming is uncalled for and childish. Good luck your forum.

Old 02-24-2010, 04:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,451 Likes on 1,949 Posts

Come on Clif, don't get upset, some people can be a bit inflammatory. I wonder how many friends they have got around them.

You are driving a car that is bound to cost more to run and own than a run-of-the-mill box. Mercs, BMWs, and Audis all suffer faults and the parts costs are very high. Even Lexus are not infallible.

I ran an XJ6 for 14 years and it cost me more than Jaguar spent building the thing. Lovely ride, but you have to bite the costs bullet every so often, I'm afraid. My previous car was a Mazda Xedos 9 (= Millenia in the US) - Totally, absolutely, reliable for me, but when I looked on the Mazda owners US website, some horrendous problems were reported. I now have a Rovr 75 (what the hell's that, you say ?). Again reliability very good, just wear-and-tear items so far.

Old 02-24-2010, 04:59 PM
Banned
Received 256 Likes on 218 Posts

I had a lot of sympathy for Clif, and I guess I still do, but this whole "poor man" whine bit is so ------what? I don't even know. Might even be unAmerican. Where's John Wayne when you need him. Cowboy up Clif. It ain't that bad.
Somebody make Clif an offer on his car before he hurts himself.

Old 02-24-2010, 05:05 PM

If you make an uninformed and provocative statement, you should anticipate a reaction.
Especially from those of us who have worked for US automakers like myself (10 years at Ford).

Old 02-24-2010, 05:46 PM
Veteran member

Clif, the guys are just giving you some razzin about your comment, again...saw it coming. To be honest, the flames were rather tame, compared to alot of forum debates i've witnessed.

If you're admitting you didn't realilze what might happen (besides the recent air suspension fault, nothing has), and want to avoid it from possibly happening, then get out. All we're saying is that if its not the suspension on your XJ, it may be the something else entirely on any used car (and could be just as expensive).

If I were you, I'd keep it. But that's just me. If you would like some more support, for whatever decision you choose to make, please let us know.

We're not here to bash you, promise.

Quick Reply: I think I made a mistake buying XJ8