XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

I think I made a mistake buying XJ8

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 03:32 AM
Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
I wonder if a 2006-2007 XJ with <40k miles will be less expensive to maintain/repair per mile than my 1997 Lexus LS400 with 130k miles. My guess is it will cost more than the LS...
My friend was quoted SGD$16,000 (approx USD$11,000) for the replacement of the driver's electronic seat due to lumbar support inflation failure for his Lexus GS300 at 4.75 years of age. Apparently they don't do individual component repair for the seat. Fortunately it was still just within the 5 year warranty period. Other than that, his car and the service was great within the warranty period. I suppose a Jag's electronic seat would cost more than that.... but I certainly wouldn't pay that kind of money to replace the seat....

Old 10-25-2010, 03:39 AM

Originally Posted by gdcont
Hey Shaguar_fan are you looking at a new or used Volvo? I've worked on Volvo's at the dealership level 25+ years. I've owned Jaguars for the last 10 years a '94, '97 and now a 2004 XJ8. Volvo's are just as trouble some as any Jag and just as complicated in some systems as Jags. And when parked side by side the Jag is more distinctive to most people. Just MHO George.
When I was trying to decide whether the buy my used XJR, I was comparing with a newer Volvo V70R (I like wagons), for 2/3 the price of the Jag. My Volvo friends said to buy the Jag as it was cheap (by Singapore standards, relative to the original cost of the car.... the depreciation of a Jag here is phenomenal. I'm told even the thieves don't want to steal them as they're hard to get rid of) and I could always get a Volvo anytime later, but XJR's are hard to come by. Now my problem is what to do after the the XJR in 4 year's time.... as it's so much nicer to drive than my wife's 350CLS... so it would be hard to go back to a Benz, Audi or BMW...

Old 10-25-2010, 08:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 483 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by klfong
My friend was quoted SGD$16,000 (approx USD$11,000) for the replacement of the driver's electronic seat due to lumbar support inflation failure for his Lexus GS300 at 4.75 years of age. Apparently they don't do individual component repair for the seat. Fortunately it was still just within the 5 year warranty period. Other than that, his car and the service was great within the warranty period. I suppose a Jag's electronic seat would cost more than that.... but I certainly wouldn't pay that kind of money to replace the seat....
I dunno, I'm talking more about just the frequency of repair and what components are failing. I did have to do quite a bit of suspension work on my Lexus when I got it a couple years ago at 90k miles to get it up to snuff, but now it rides fantastic. However, it was already 12 years old at the time. Now it's about 14 years old. Hopefully a 4-5 year old Jaguar with less than half the miles will require fewer repairs...

Old 10-25-2010, 12:02 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I understand your concerns. However, all cars Mercedes, Lexus, Audi, BMW, all cost money to take care of and/or repair.

I have a older Porsche, 2 lexus, and the Jag. I bought each used but not abused and paid less than 25% of what they were new. I depends what you want to drive and what you feel your worth.

You have to be smart and find a good indepedent shop and buy parts smart. For instance you can buy the Jaguar front air suspension for $399.00 each with a lifetime warranty. Arnottindustries.com. or you can go to the dealer and spend $1,200 dollars. You gotta be smart.

Jaguar has one of the best motors in the world and the tranny is world class as well. You just have to take care of them.

It like having a beautiful wife or girl friend. They normally don't want to go to Mac Donalds for Dinner. The pretty 1/2 carat ring just wont satsify them. They take a little more money to keep happy but they are so worth the ride

The following users liked this post:
mitch.thompson (01-03-2011)
Old 10-25-2010, 12:09 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is a great thread of ideas but like I have heard from others, I bought a Jaguar because it was a Jaguar. A jaguar is not a car, its a piece of craftsmanship and I even can say it has a soul of its own. Be nice with your Jag and it will give it back to you. What can I say, I really love my 2005 XJR, the power, the looks, the ride. Im even thinking of getting installed the twinscrew supercharge on it which would give me an extra 100hp extra!!!!!! After two years as a daily driver (including winter in the province of Quebec), nothing to say, really reliable.

Serge

Old 10-25-2010, 12:16 PM
jjd
Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

stick it out. if you enjoy it, keep it.

Old 10-25-2010, 01:13 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by 97Jaguarxj6
I understand your concerns. However, all cars Mercedes, Lexus, Audi, BMW, all cost money to take care of and/or repair.

I have a older Porsche, 2 lexus, and the Jag. I bought each used but not abused and paid less than 25% of what they were new. I depends what you want to drive and what you feel your worth.

You have to be smart and find a good indepedent shop and buy parts smart. For instance you can buy the Jaguar front air suspension for $399.00 each with a lifetime warranty. Arnottindustries.com. or you can go to the dealer and spend $1,200 dollars. You gotta be smart.

Jaguar has one of the best motors in the world and the tranny is world class as well. You just have to take care of them.

It like having a beautiful wife or girl friend. They normally don't want to go to Mac Donalds for Dinner. The pretty 1/2 carat ring just wont satsify them. They take a little more money to keep happy but they are so worth the ride
Have you heard anything bad about those Arnott parts? I've heard some bad things about their Lexus upper control arm replacements.

Also, are most independent repair shops going to be able to do air suspensions on Jaguars?

Old 10-26-2010, 09:21 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't know much about the arnott parts. Only that the dealer installed them and they have lifetime warranties.

Old 10-26-2010, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by SergeXJR
This is a great thread of ideas but like I have heard from others, I bought a Jaguar because it was a Jaguar. A jaguar is not a car, its a piece of craftsmanship and I even can say it has a soul of its own. Be nice with your Jag and it will give it back to you. What can I say, I really love my 2005 XJR, the power, the looks, the ride. Im even thinking of getting installed the twinscrew supercharge on it which would give me an extra 100hp extra!!!!!! After two years as a daily driver (including winter in the province of Quebec), nothing to say, really reliable.

Serge
Is that the Eurotoys twinscrew system or from someone else? Have you already done the smaller s/c pulley?

Old 11-19-2010, 11:27 PM
Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

RE the maserati prospect, there's a guy in town here with an 05 spyder he got new and claims his volvo is far less reliable than the maser after almost 50k on it. Just fyi. They do need clutches and pumps routinely. Can you tell I want one too?

Old 11-21-2010, 07:51 AM
guy
Veteran Member
Received 1,117 Likes on 786 Posts

I must attest that my experience shows many of these negative comments flawed.
My 2000 S type 4.0 sport runs flawlessy. And without a doubt the CATS suspension was a necessary purchase.
As for my 2004 XJR, WHAT A CAR! I've had it since '05 and am now up to a whopping 140,000 km.
Sure, I had to replace the rear shocks,
Brembo disks and pads 'are a commodity',
And for some reason, the Z rated tires seem to wear out, albeit evenly, prematurely. ;-)

But I don't care. I have the nicest looking, best riding, 'sleeper' on the road.
And when you spend this kind of money... do you really want to drive what everyone else does??

So good in fact, that I prefer to drive to Manhattan and Boston as opposed to fly from Ottawa.

My learned words of wisdom are:
K&N filters.
Change the oil, synthetic only, every 5000.
Change ALL the other fluids on a regular basis. I choose 50K. (That 000 km, my friends to the south)
Annually adjust the alignment.
And at the first pulse in the brakes, replace them.

An FYI, this is my preferred 'Year round' car...

When I'm in the Boston area, Woburn Jaguar has always treated me fairly and as 'a valued customer'.

Old 11-21-2010, 02:24 PM
Received 69 Likes on 57 Posts

Great thread and forum.

I bought my Jaguar for the love, passion, and beauty of the car, the heritage and racing pedigree of the brand, the smell of the leather, and the beautiful interior wood surround. I also think it's really neat that my jaguar is all aluminum. Every once in a while I flick my fingers on the side of the body or hood just to hear the sound of the aluminum panels. I also love the thought that I could enjoy a bottle of Grey Poupon and Crackers on the fold-down wood picnic trays in the rear. How cool is that!

My Jaguar is therapy for me. I am an engineer by trade and I spend my whole day thinking analytically. When I come home from work I feel blessed that I can drive and enjoy something that is really beautiful.

When I originally purchased my Jaguar, I can't say that average annual maintenance cost of ownership and things like that were ever on the short list. I bought it because I fell in love with it. If repairs are expected, than so be it.

Regards,
- Michael

Old 12-03-2010, 04:28 PM
Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by BrownRobin
I bought my Jaguar for the love, passion, and beauty of the car, the heritage and racing pedigree of the brand, the smell of the leather, and the beautiful interior wood surround.

So, here's the deal: My wife has always wanted a Jaguar. In 2000 I bought her a 1993 XJ6 VDP in Kingfisher Blue with factory wire wheels and 50K miles on it for like 12 grand. Absolutely gorgeous car. She did have to tolerate hearing me say nasty things about it many times after working on it, and $1,000 to have the fuel pump replaced was a stiff drink. But, when it came time to replace it (80K miles later), we still wanted something with a "leaper" on it. Why? Comfort, ride, and curb appeal. There's just nothing like a Jaguar. Got a 2005 XJ8L with 40K miles for about 25% of the sticker price. Yup, a front shock went out at about 43K, but I knew it would happen sooner or later and had a pretty good idea what it would cost. (By the way, it hasn't been mentioned in this thread, but the Select Edition warranty does not cover shocks.) But whatever those air-shocks do is pure magic. This is without a doubt the most comfortable car I've ever been in. And I was so impressed with its performance that when I wanted a new car for myself, I started looking for a nice XK8 convertible. Found a beautiful 2006 low-miler at a great price. I know I'll need to pay a premium for maintenance and upkeep, but for under $50,000 I definately have the most impressive driveway in the neighborhood. The neighbors only have Porches, BMWs and Benzes. Yawn.

Just remember: If you're going to "arrive", you simply must arrive in a Jaguar.

Old 12-03-2010, 07:13 PM
Veteran Member

For me, I love the style and the looks. It definitely says "I've arrived" when you pull up to any business/store/restaurant. It has a lot of character, but I really think it is kinda lacking in build quality and refinement. Ride quality is not very good for a fullsize luxury car. But you can't beat the class and the charm it has.

Old 12-30-2010, 05:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Great thread and discussion

Just worked my way through the 6 pages of comments posted. I am also one of the lucky ones with very few problems over the years with the Jaguars I owned:
89 Vandenplas XJ8 - Door Handles sticky, replaced air shocks with standard, no other problems. Sold with 152K miles
93 XJ6 - No problems, sold with 92K
96 XJ8 - No problems. Sold with 82K.
99 XK8 - Convertible Top Servos replaced, sold at 94K
2003 XJR - No problems, sold at 75K
2006 XJ8L - No problems, still driving.

I really love these cars and will keep buying them. I do baby them somewhat and am pretty handy with minor tightening of things, etc. But mechanically, I have found nothing better. As an owner of Mercedes, Hummer, Pontiac, Cadillac, and others where there are rattles, silly things break or need repair such as windshield wipers, interior trim, etc, I am hard pressed to make a comparison with my Cats.........my advice, if you want a great ride...GO JAG!

Tim

Old 01-02-2011, 09:24 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

We are the proud owners of a 2001 Jaguar XJ8 Vanden Plas...currently 122k miles on the clock..have owned the car 6 years now with NO issue what-so-ever (usual oil changes and tires and a thermostat).....until today. It seems there is a "rattle" coming from the front top end of the engine..mates we ALL know what that is. I find anything in life can have it's problems...I think these cars receive far too much bad press than what is reality. Once one drives of these wonderful machines you are hooked. My simple advice would be. Join your local Jaguar club, stay current on these blogs. Network on parts sources. I always come here when I want to know something about my car. You are not driving something that was mass produced..you have joined the ranks of true enthusiast. People that are devoted to the Marquee. Just enjoy the ride.. remember toyota, honda and the like all break down too! CHEERS mate and thanks for sharing your story!

Old 05-09-2011, 12:27 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Kind of a dumb philosophy. So you buy a piece of crap and drive that around all day while your fancy boat and car sit parked? Then why have it to begin with if you arent going to use it? To stare at it in the parking spot? Thats a dumb philosophy and a stupid assessment on this thread. If i buy something weather it be 100$ or 100000$ it better do what the hell it is advertised to do and it better do it reliably. This is a 100000 car and 100000 dollar cars are not supposed to break down or be novelty items . In fact being that the car is so expensive it tells me that the greatest and lastest that the company has to offer in thrown into this vehicle and if the vehicle turns out to be a piece a **** then thats a problem with the company and the team itself. I just got out of a 1999 mercedes benz sl500 which i purchased with 125000 miles on the clock. I drove it for 3 years and sold it with 159000 miles on the clock . I live in brooklyn ny and it was my only and daily driver. In 3 years all i did was change a battery a pully and a window seal for the hardtop.. Thats it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I expect a car that cost 100000 when new to act like one and not like a alfa romeo milano i once owned which was the biggest piece a **** i ever drove in my 35 years on this planet.....
Originally Posted by dfwx
the op has a valid point.
Years ago i went to buy a new buick for a family car and drove off instead in a 2 year old maserati biturbo - same price, same warranty - with 6,000 miles on it.
I "italianized" it (un-epa-doted) and it was a screaming little box.
Repairs were an absurdity, however. The warranty company went broke and i essentially dumped it. Basically gave it away.
The attitude of the *******s at maserati was "if you can't afford repairs then you are too poor to drive a maserati."
jaguars are what i call toy-cars. Novelties. Rich folks buy what they want and us wanna-bees buy their used toys for pennies on the dollar. We don't have $80 to $100k to spend on a car. Or maybe just frugal enough to realize we can buy that same car - like new with warranty - in a few years saving months or a year's income doing so.
But if we are wise, we will treat it as our novelty car, not our necessary daily driver.
My wife has a toy car too, a 1970 mini with a 92 motor and ac. Its been in the shop 2 weeks (again) now. Her daily driver? A 2004 ford ranger xlt stepside 4x4 with 100k plus miles on it. Because we have 5 vehicles, 2 of which are toys we are never grounded and our toys last longer and cost less to keep going. All 5 cost far less to buy than 1 new jag would - and my 05kxr is superior to most jags still or about anything new out there.

Here is the reality...

Jaguars also are very limited production cars - meaning mechanics, people-in-the-know, new parts and even used parts are through the celling. For example, on parts someone is selling the 3 grill pieces for an 02 xk8 for $500 - off the $1200 dealer price.
I just bought a new (aftermarket) front bumper, grill, grill screen and logo for our old ford ranger for $just at $300 for all - including shipping.
It's a stepside (sport side), red, some kid has it before me so a loud exhaust, decent wheels, tires, and raise up a bit. Paid $2500 for it - gone 30,000+ miles with zero repairs (until i hit a pole at 5 mph zoning out while messing with putting away my laptop). Then it was a $300 do-it-yourself body repair. A couple years ago, i had a new v6 put into a 4x4 ranger by the dealer for just over $4k, including a 75k warranty on it.
But, no matter what i did to those rangers or even bought a new one for $30k plus, they could never, ever equal a nice old jag.

Jags are expensive cars. If you need a car for utility (go to work, school, grocery store, kids to school), i suggest buying an american econ-to-midsize car. They're usually good to at least 150,000 miles and you can find them all over for around $2000-3000 with a clean body and interior in the 100k mile range.
Or maybe a little pickup.
Make that your daily driver. Drive it to work. Put the miles on it. Run that one into the ground.
Then you have the utility... And you have your showboat jaguar.
I don't daily drive my 05 xkr i just bought. Why? Costs of wear and tear. I drive on of three 3 old pickups we have (single cab ranger, 4x4 xl ranger and a chevy dually). I bought them cheap and i'll drive them into the ground - unless a repair is worth more than the value and then i'll junk it.

Unless you can sling money at a novelty car, it can't be your daily car. But nothing stops you from having 2 cars and that makes the most sense. A cheap, reliable car (i suggest american and common for easy of repairs and cheap parts), and then your special occasions car.

I do the same with boats. I run around in an old bass pro i bought for $3k, not my 100 mph picklefork.

So i guess i fully agree with your concerns. but i disagree that you can't afford to own and drive a jaguar. Rather, i think you can't afford a jaguar as your daily driver. You wouldn't pick between a harley and a car. Instead, you'd take a lesser car to have the harley too. Look at your jag that way. It's like a motorcycle or boat. Then you can both have your utility car and jaguar - meaning you can be "rich" even though you're not. Nice.

that is the biggest plus of used, clean super costly cars. I can park next to an new $50,000 escalade, or any other $40-60k new luxury car - and everyone looks at my $30k jag and figures i'm the guy with the money. Same with a clean '98 xk8 for $10k. Same for your jaguar. Park it next to an new chrysler 300c hemi? Everyone figures your the winner even economically. That's their value. Not as a practical daily driver. Rich people don't pour the miles on them anyway, it's poor people who do. Rich people buy them as toys.

You don't wear your finest clothes to work nor just have one shirt and pants. Why have just one vehicle? So instead of a $25,000 toyo or whatever, why not a $3000 econo or midsized box or little pickup and your jaguar too? I believe that is absolutely the most bang for the buck for us "not rich" guys. If you truly are "poor" get rid of the jag while it's still working even if at a large lose. Hard to sell a broken car you can't afford to fix.

i suspect that a poll asking if their jaguar is their only vehicle, most will answer no. They're not that kind of car. Neither is a ferrari or lambo.

Old 05-09-2011, 09:53 AM
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Jsedita74
Kind of a dumb philosophy. So you buy a piece of crap and drive that around all day while your fancy boat and car sit parked? Then why have it to begin with if you arent going to use it? To stare at it in the parking spot? Thats a dumb philosophy and a stupid assessment on this thread. If i buy something weather it be 100$ or 100000$ it better do what the hell it is advertised to do and it better do it reliably. This is a 100000 car and 100000 dollar cars are not supposed to break down or be novelty items . In fact being that the car is so expensive it tells me that the greatest and lastest that the company has to offer in thrown into this vehicle and if the vehicle turns out to be a piece a **** then thats a problem with the company and the team itself. t.....
kind of ironic that some one would come into an enthusist's forum for a particular brand and bad mouth what they are very fond of.
if one wants reliable transportation from point A to B and does not mind boredom I suggest buying Asian.

Also, I think your language needs some refinement.

Old 05-09-2011, 10:54 AM
Veteran Member

Jsedita74, It's not a dumb assessment! I want to own a Jag. I don't want to drive it into the ground!

Having another daily driver keeps the miles down on the Jag, keeps it looking nicer, saves me lots of money on repairs and depreciation, and doesn't take away AT ALL from the pride of owning a Jaguar!

How the heck do you think people can own all these classic Porsches and Ferraris, etc.? You think they really daily drive them? I bet many of them never even see rain! Get real!

Old 05-09-2011, 12:17 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

dude im in the process of picking up myself a Jaguar and I must tell you . STOP COMPARING JAGUAR TO PORSCHE AND FERRARI BECAUSE JAGUAR IS NOWHERE NEAR THE MARQUEE THOSE 2 COMPANIES ARE. THIS IS NOT AN EXOTIC !!!!! IT IS A LUXURY CAR SUCH AS MERCEDES BMW AND AUDI. AND LUXURY CARS MY FRIEND ARENT SUPPOSED TO BE DRIVEN LIKE YOUR DRIVING ON EGGSHELLS. AS A LONG TIME BMW AND MERCEDES OWNER I CAN TELL YOU THAT MERCEDES IS PRETTY SOLID AND ALTHOUGH BMWS WILL BREAK SWITCHES AND TRIM PIECES HERE AND THERE NOTHING DRIVES LIKE A BIMMER. THE REASON FOR ME BUYING A JAGUAR IS BECAUSE OF ITS BEAUTY ORIGINALITY AND ITS RARENESS IN A WORLD BOGGED DOWN W BIMMERS AND BENZS. AGAIN JAGUARS ARE BEAUTIFUL AND I LOOK FORWARD TO PICKING MINE UP ON THURSDAY BUT YOU GUYS ARE A BIT CRAZY LOLOLOLOL
Originally Posted by amcdonal86
Jsedita74, It's not a dumb assessment! I want to own a Jag. I don't want to drive it into the ground!

Having another daily driver keeps the miles down on the Jag, keeps it looking nicer, saves me lots of money on repairs and depreciation, and doesn't take away AT ALL from the pride of owning a Jaguar!

How the heck do you think people can own all these classic Porsches and Ferraris, etc.? You think they really daily drive them? I bet many of them never even see rain! Get real!

Quick Reply: I think I made a mistake buying XJ8