XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

I think I made a mistake buying XJ8

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 03:20 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I am not trying to insult you or the marquee . I just find it a bit absurd that a vehicle that cost 100000$ and is supposed to be in direct competition w the likes of BMW Mercedes Benz and Audi on a world level is considered a vehicle in which you recommend a SECOND car. That's just silly . So you pay 100 grand for a car in which you never drive but you drive around a beater all day!!!!! Lololol that's crazy! Good luck in your beater ! Smdh

Old 05-09-2011, 03:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 483 Likes on 404 Posts

Time for a chill pill!

I'm not saying everyone needs to avoid daily driving their Jag, but a lot of people drive a lot of miles to get to work. Why would I daily drive my Jaguar 50 miles a day only to be stuck in traffic the entire time, get no enjoyment out of it, have to spend a lot of extra time keeping it clean, do extra repairs, etc., when I could just keep my nice car at home most of the time and get a commuter car, saving me more money overall and giving me more driving options?

I see people who daily drive their luxury and sports cars and some of them look like morons. Cars are constantly covered with bird crap and pollen, wheels are black with brake dust, door dings and scrapes everywhere. I mean come on! Do you think people are really going to be impressed? Why do people insist on treating your fine luxury cars (BMW, Mercedes, etc.) as transportation appliances, which by the way, is exactly what commuter cars are for?

Now you may be brave enough to use a Jag a daily driver. I was initially. But after a couple of high dollar repairs, I was scared straight. And I am better for it in almost every way!

Last edited by amcdonal86; 05-09-2011 at 03:25 PM.
Old 05-09-2011, 03:26 PM
Veteran Member

P.S. It's funny that you say "it's no Porsche or Ferrari" then go on to say how expensive Jags are as an argument for why you should drive them every day.

Old 05-09-2011, 04:20 PM
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Jsedita74
STOP COMPARING JAGUAR TO PORSCHE AND FERRARI BECAUSE JAGUAR IS NOWHERE NEAR THE MARQUEE THOSE 2 COMPANIES ARE. THIS IS NOT AN EXOTIC !!!!!
Evidently you have never owned or driven a Porsche or Ferrari. They are just something some save for special times such as wanting to take a spin through town or countryside.

Over the years I have owned many Benzes and drove them daily as well as Corvettes. But my Jaguars, Porsche and ex-Ferrari are special, timeless styling and handling. I enjoy driving them on special occasions and it has nothing to do with money. It has to do with individual preferences. I don't always eat in 5 star restaurants but on special occasions I do.
Some may eat in them all the time. Same as owners driving their Jaguars for daily driving, it is really their preference and their business.

If a driver wants cheap point A to B transportation buy Asian and eat at McDonald's. We don't judge them as fools and we should not be judged as fools either.

Old 05-09-2011, 04:30 PM

a porsche or ferrari are not everyday cars . they are not practical. they are small 2 seaters w no trunks . where as a jaguar is a 4 door luxury saloon whos SOLE PURPOSE is to take people from point a to point b in the UTMOST LUXURY as the company has to offer. So once again your theory makes no sense. Look keep telling yourself what ever it is that makes you feel better when your putting along in your piece a crap car while you DREAM about driving the one sitting parked that cost you 100000$ !!!!! the bottom line is that the xjr is supposed to be a car you can drive everyday with the best of luxury where as a ferrari is not meant to be driven everyday as it is a sports car .... Heck even the Porsche can be used as a daily driver if one dared without one having to worry about a suspension compressor giving out causing one to crash and total his car like the gentleman in this forum in which I read that horry story earlier today... Im supposed to pick up this car on thursday and now im thinking of backing out of the deal to be quite honest .....

Old 05-09-2011, 04:56 PM
Veteran Member

Daily drive your Jag. Many people on this forum do! It's a free country. Stop moaning about people who do otherwise. (You are the one who accused dfwx of being STUPID for suggesting that driving a Jaguar less often makes it more affordable for most people, which was the original context of dfwx's post!)

Last edited by amcdonal86; 05-09-2011 at 04:59 PM.
Old 05-09-2011, 04:59 PM
Veteran Member

By the way, I made the Porsche/Ferrari comparison not to say that Jags are exotic, but rather to make the point that if you don't drive it a lot, even people with relatively modest incomes can own fine automobiles that would ordinarily seem out of reach. It's a very simple concept!

Old 05-09-2011, 05:37 PM
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Jsedita74 holds his own opinions in remarkably high regard; that's in contradistinction to his remarkably low regard for the opinions of others. Do you suppose he seriously expects other forum members will be eager to help him? If he joined in order to learn, let us hope he does.

Old 05-09-2011, 05:46 PM

I am not trying to insult anyone I'm just trying to express my opinion. Yes I am very eager to learn as much as I can as I have only been able to admire this marquee from afar and have always been intrigued by British engineering. I just feel like it should be a bit more reliable then the horror stories I have read of late. Like I said purchasing a second car and paying a second insurance in NYC does just not make fiscal sense thats allsense

Old 05-09-2011, 06:27 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jsedita74
I am not trying to insult anyone I'm just trying to express my opinion. Yes I am very eager to learn as much as I can as I have only been able to admire this marquee from afar and have always been intrigued by British engineering. I just feel like it should be a bit more reliable then the horror stories I have read of late. Like I said purchasing a second car and paying a second insurance in NYC does just not make fiscal sense thats allsense
You live in NYC, that's why it doesn't make sense. Heck, even having one car doesnt make sense. I live near dc, I am already saving over$ 200 a month in repairs and gas, even with the extra car payment. My insurance didn't go up one penny. Also that figure doesn't include saved depreciation cost.

Then again, I can see where you're coming from. If you're going to own a car in NYC, you damn well better drive it!

Last edited by amcdonal86; 05-09-2011 at 06:49 PM.
Old 05-09-2011, 07:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,010 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  19.3 KB

Please note - Opinions of all whether for or against are welcome if put in a reasonable manner.

Ok, so some other marques may be less interesting / appealing to us, but calling them POS or crap isn't really necessary!
Calling any other member stupid / foolish and or flaming them for whatever reason isn't acceptable.

Please bear this in mind for future posts as this post in particular will be being watched due to the intense feelings evoked because of the nature of the topic.

Thanks

The following 2 users liked this post by JimC64:
2002XK8Orlando (05-09-2011), amcdonal86 (05-09-2011)
Old 05-09-2011, 10:34 PM
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
...I'm not saying everyone needs to avoid daily driving their Jag, but a lot of people drive a lot of miles to get to work. Why would I daily drive my Jaguar 50 miles a day only to be stuck in traffic the entire time, get no enjoyment out of it, have to spend a lot of extra time keeping it clean, do extra repairs, etc., when I could just keep my nice car at home most of the time and get a commuter car, saving me more money overall and giving me more driving options?
I disagree... I drive 92 miles a day in my XJR and I have driven many different cars, none truly classified as a commuter like the general econoboxes, but I have come to the conclusion that the value of these vehicles put you in the position to be able to drive a truly enjoyable car. When you are in a car for two to four hours a day, either in stop and go or moving, it is much more enjoyable to be in the comfort of a truly fine automobile. That could be any of the better European makes, take your pick, but for me it was the Jaguar. If you are worried about the cost of maintenance, then that is something you measure prior to purchase, then simply put something in savings to cover that cost and enjoy your vehicle. Any car can cost a tremendous amount as a resale vehicle, and you just have to set your priorities and pick a vehicle that meets those priorities whatever they may be.

I see people who daily drive their luxury and sports cars and some of them look like morons. Cars are constantly covered with bird crap and pollen, wheels are black with brake dust, door dings and scrapes everywhere. I mean come on! Do you think people are really going to be impressed? Why do people insist on treating your fine luxury cars (BMW, Mercedes, etc.) as transportation appliances, which by the way, is exactly what commuter cars are for?
Anyone can keep a car clean and presentable regardless of the mileage put on it, it just takes more work. Again, it is a personal choice to take care of it or not. You are one that seems to cherish the vehicle and treat it with due respect by limiting your use. If I were to buy this car new or nearly new, I would be more like you and have another lower priced, nice luxury car for the commuter, but that is just the point. You can pick up an XJR like mine for under $10,000, or you can buy a used Accord for the same amount. For me there is simply no comparison and I would never own an Accord no matter what I paid for it. At this price, the depreciation will be the same as the commuter car, but I will enjoy every minute I sit behind the wheel as opposed to hating every minute of it!

Now you may be brave enough to use a Jag a daily driver. I was initially. But after a couple of high dollar repairs, I was scared straight. And I am better for it in almost every way!
The cost of maintenance has to always be factored into the purchase of a vehicle no matter what it is. If you feel it might be more for a Jaguar, or any other vehicle, then you have to either self insure or buy an extended warranty. In the end, simply weigh that factor into the buying decision, then get the vehicle that fits the parameters you have set.

It is funny to see how worked up people get over this subject. There are so many opinions and that is just it... they are opinions. None are more right than another, they are just ones personal opinion. Everyone has to do what they feel is right, and if they have chosen a vehicle that doesn't fit their needs, then they should sell it and buy what does fit. Admit it was a mistake for them, and move on. It doesn't make the car good or bad, it was simply a bad decision for that individual.

The following users liked this post:
JimC64 (05-10-2011)
Old 05-10-2011, 01:15 AM

I think I need to apologize if I offended anyone as that was not my intention at all. I just may have worded it a bit unprofessionally and I apologize to anyone I may have offended.
I hope to learn many things about this marquee as I am just amazed at how I have never noticed its beauty and gracefulness before. ! I have trully started falling in love with this vehicle and quirks and all I am willing to try and happily own one and develop a relationship with my new vehicle.

There are many things I wish to learn from an engineering aspect. I am not a technician but I AM an afficionado of automobiles. I have a total soft spot in my heart for Alfa Romeo no matter the problems but unfortunately here in America owning one is impossible. I have always been a BMW fan as I have owned 3 in my 35 years on earth. I had a new 1993 328is in college and then a 1999 540i and then a 2007 335 of which the 2007 was the most fun to drive of them all but I feel that BMW has fell off miserably with their line of vehicles.

There interiors never change and there styling is ehhhh at best. Mercedes is a pretty rock solid automobile I am convinced as my dad has owned a slew of them and his current s500 is just amazing but they are kinda boring cars to me.
The Jaguar is just something that looks like it was designed by real people and not a bunch of corporate jackasses who are only concerned with the bottom line. Ive done a ton of research on here thus far and will continue to do so. I love to read and I love to learn so with or without your help I will continue to do so. Again I apologize for my rants and hope that the gentleman w the problems holds on to his car and works the net for info as I will be doing.

I already found a website that has a lifetime warranty at a great price If I should get the suspension problems. I hope to find a place that has similiar numbers on a compressor just in case. I was willing to drive an Alfa Romeo when I was 16 as a daily driver and Im sure the way I drive now and mainatain my vehicles I should be ok. Im excited to take on this big CAT and im ready to see what British Engineering has to offer.

Thank you for your time....

JimC64 (05-10-2011)
Old 05-10-2011, 04:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 200 Posts

A couple of things you need to remember. Some of you are buying used cars, simply. Many are buying them used for 5 or more years. It just stands to reason that there are going to be issues with used cars and expensive out of warranty costs. The labor is not much more than most domestic(USA) cars, but Jaguar seems to think their parts are more valuable than sperm and eggs to an infertile couple!! I have an older Rolls Royce and parts for it are not much out of line in cost for new Jaguar parts. A lot of Jaguar dealers add premiums to their over the counter parts(of course not Nalley Jaguar!) and that is ashame and an insult to Jaguar Cars.

Another issue is that here we hear mostly from people that have problems with their cars and are looking for help. We seldom hear from those that haven't experienced the failures we hear about here. I have an 04 XJ8 that has been one of the most reliable cars I have ever owned. Only major issue I have had with it was the clock spring had to be replaced (under warranty). I recently replaced the brakes all around with aftermarket parts to get rid of the squeek and brake dust. There was nothing really wrong with them than an irritation to me. So when you hear about a problem on a few cars here, don't think that it is going to happen to every Jaguar on the road.

Sure there are going to be some common issues that happen when the cars age, but that is just part of owning an older car. When I bought my 01 XKR three years ago, I expected to put some cash into it. First year, I put about $2K into it and now it is a very reliable car. I keep up the maintenance in them and they serve me well. Any car needs to be driven regularly to keep things lubricated. I'll be in my 01 XKR tomorrow driving 350 miles home without a thought of reliability.

JimC64 (09-12-2011)
Old 05-10-2011, 09:16 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by MidlifeXJR
I disagree... I drive 92 miles a day in my XJR and I have driven many different cars, none truly classified as a commuter like the general econoboxes, but I have come to the conclusion that the value of these vehicles put you in the position to be able to drive a truly enjoyable car. When you are in a car for two to four hours a day, either in stop and go or moving, it is much more enjoyable to be in the comfort of a truly fine automobile. That could be any of the better European makes, take your pick, but for me it was the Jaguar. If you are worried about the cost of maintenance, then that is something you measure prior to purchase, then simply put something in savings to cover that cost and enjoy your vehicle. Any car can cost a tremendous amount as a resale vehicle, and you just have to set your priorities and pick a vehicle that meets those priorities whatever they may be.
Agree to disagree. I don't find myself any less happy just because I don't drive my Jaguar every single day anymore. I find it liberating, in a way, because I don't need to rely on it for commuting transportation. If something does go wrong, which it inevitably will, I won't be rushed to take it to a dealership and get ripped a new butthole! But then again, my point was never to say that my way is the only way to think about something--I was just defending people who DO think like me. I separate driving into two categories: pleasure driving, and forced driving (commuting). I don't care what I'm driving, sitting in traffic is not fun and isn't made any better by having 300 horses under the hood that are asleep (in your case, probably closer to 400!). I think I actually want to try to get rid of my X350 and buy a classic Series III XJ (I would LOVE this one Jaguar : XJ | eBay) and maybe a nice classic sports car (German, perhaps?) of some kind! Again, as long as I don't put too many miles on them, I won't have to have all the headaches!

Old 05-13-2011, 08:50 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Call me crazy, but when I'm looking for a used car (I'm looking for an '04-'06 SV8 or XJR currently), I prefer to find a car that's driven regularly and maintained rigorously. I've gone through several marques and that philosophy has never let me down. I'm drive a Ferrari 550 that I put 20,000 miles on in two years. I've replaced the battery and a power steering hose. Buddies with low mileage "garage queens" inevitably seem to have more problems. I've had fantastic reliability from two previous XJRs which is why I'm coming back for an SV8 or XJR. I buys cars to drive them,... daily.
Just my 02.

Old 05-14-2011, 05:51 PM
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by MotoAir
Call me crazy, but when I'm looking for a used car (I'm looking for an '04-'06 SV8 or XJR currently), I prefer to find a car that's driven regularly and maintained rigorously. I've gone through several marques and that philosophy has never let me down. I'm drive a Ferrari 550 that I put 20,000 miles on in two years. I've replaced the battery and a power steering hose. Buddies with low mileage "garage queens" inevitably seem to have more problems. I've had fantastic reliability from two previous XJRs which is why I'm coming back for an SV8 or XJR. I buys cars to drive them,... daily.
Just my 02.
I tend to agree..cars driven regularly usually have much less problems than the garage queens. That's been my experience as well although YMMV

Old 05-18-2011, 12:02 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile Daily Driver

Not to beat a completely decomposed horse...but. I have driven a long line of crappy(my opinion) commuter cars that were beaters just to get back and forth to work and keep the miles off of the "family" main transportation. Once I got to a point in my life that I could drive what I wanted I started with an FX35 then a few years later went with my long time love, a used 2007 xj8. These last two cars were not purchased to impress anyone but me and they do everytime I start the engine. I look forward to the drive into work and home everyday by enjoying the feeling of being in and operating a high quality vehicle. I can honestly say I get a little depressed driving the rental loaner when I get the car serviced. It feels a little like taking the bus or subway. My Dad retired from Ford and I looked at a lincoln or a maxed out taurus with employee discount before buying the XJ but could not justify paying 10k more for a new ford than a slightly used Jag with SE warranty. With that savings I can afford quite a few repairs and still get to drive a top of the line sedan. It doesnt matter if I am cruising down the highway or sitting in bumper to bumper traffic, every mile is more enjoyable sitting in my Jag than any other car I have owned.
Happy Motoring

JimC64 (09-12-2011)
Old 05-18-2011, 01:36 PM

Kudos to you sir!!!!! That is basically the point I was trying to make !!! Problem is I get all emotional and don't know how to be politically correct... I am actually on my way to picking up my car right now!!! I'm on my drive down to Atlanta from Brooklyn NY ... A 12 hr trip 1 way!!!! So far on the way there w my dads Mercedes s500 has been pretty damn amazing so far and although I am totally dreading the ride back to NY I am actually excited to see what this jaguar is all about. I'll post pictures asap as we are about 45 minutes away now.

Old 05-18-2011, 02:17 PM
Veteran Member

There is no question that driving the Jag is wonderful. But after commuting with it every single day for 4 months, it got really boring. I got "used" to the car and it no longer seemed very special to me. I began to question why I was even paying a car payment just to drive a car that I was getting bored with. Maybe you guys don't get this feeling of boredom/complacency often, but then you guys probably don't have the "itch" like some people do (see that other thread in the off-topic section).

Enter Honda Insight. It does a fine job getting me to and from work, and actually rides just as well as the Jaguar oddly enough. Also has crucial features such as an AUX input. Of course it is noisier and (surprisingly) doesn't handle very well, not to mention excruciatingly show, but it has its own set of benefits such as low operating costs. Now I love the Jag again and can appreciate it fully for what it is. I am glad I still have the Jag, though, because without it, I would FOR SURE have the same feeling of boredom with the Insight.

You have to admit, after driving the same car for months, even years, it is not nearly as exciting as the first time you took it out on the open road, or even laid eyes on it and put your name on the title. This is the same for ANY car. My Miata (sold it a few years ago) was one of my favorite cars and was a BLAST to drive. However, after driving it every day for 3 years, the fun wore off and gave way to irritation to noises, creaks, rattling sounds, NVH, etc. However, whenever I went on a vacation or something and ended up driving a rental car for a week, coming back to the Miata was like shaking hands with an old friend. The car seemed new and fresh to me. I felt the same exhilaration, to a smaller degree, that I felt when I first took one out for a spin.

This is the concept that has helped form my current fleet. It's about balance. The frugality of my daily driver balances the opulence of the Jaguar. The lackluster of my daily driver balances the brilliance and charm of the Jaguar. The dependability of my daily driver balances the mechanical unpredictability/excitement of my Jaguar. I don't think I would want a fleet of just luxury cars--just like I wouldn't want a fleet of all economy cars (or all sports cars, for that matter).

Please, somebody tell me I'm not crazy!

Last edited by amcdonal86; 05-18-2011 at 02:21 PM.

Quick Reply: I think I made a mistake buying XJ8