XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

I think I made a mistake buying XJ8

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 08:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 200 Posts

I have had my 04 XJ8 for 7 years and it is the first car I have had that I haven't gotten bored with within 3 years, Still not board and love driving it. Loved it so much, I bought an 01 XKR 3 years ago.

The following users liked this post:
Torrid (11-05-2015)
Old 05-18-2011, 10:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 483 Likes on 404 Posts

Last edited by amcdonal86; 05-18-2011 at 10:49 PM.
Old 05-19-2011, 04:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,451 Likes on 1,949 Posts

I find the best way to appreciate my Jaguar is to go out for an afternoon in my MG Midget. After a couple of hours of real DIN, VIBRATION and CRUDITY, the Jaguar seems like a magic carpet. Actually the Midget is fun, don't get me wrong, but it is so nice to get back into the luxury and opulence of the Jaguar.

Old 05-19-2011, 05:06 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Stick with it - enjoy the car. Network on the forum - lots of folks with extensive knowledge are eager to help. With some good technical tools along with this network, you can have your car repaired at a local shop with good honest and reasonably priced mechanics.

Old 07-10-2011, 09:35 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a 2003 XJ8. Does it have air bags?
Did jaguar start using air bags in 2004?
Do you folks know of any issues particular to 2003 XJ8's
All advice appreciated.
thanks
Gregg P.

Old 07-23-2011, 09:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will you provide the company you decided to obtain your extended warranty with??

Old 07-23-2011, 11:35 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by GreggP
I have a 2003 XJ8. Does it have air bags?
Did jaguar start using air bags in 2004?
Do you folks know of any issues particular to 2003 XJ8's
All advice appreciated.
thanks
Gregg P.
You mean air suspension? The air suspension started with the X350. That would be a 2004 model in the US, or a 2003 model in the UK, I think.

Old 07-24-2011, 02:24 PM

I just found this thread and forum doing research on the 04 XJ/XJR. Read the whole darned thing. Very helpful (in spots). Will be buying this week. Had a 99 XJ8 that the wife took in the divorce. I loved that car. No issues while I had it, other than she ran right into two feet of water once and scared the crap out of me. So I drained had it towed and changed the oil, and there wasn't a drop in the engine. Whew! Shortly thereafter I lost track of it. I saw an 04 XJR Friday the brought tears to my eyes. I had an H2 since I bought it new in 03 until last year. Bought by wife a beautiful little Mercedes CLK that she wouldn't drive, so I've been driving it. Wonderful little car, but it's kind of a "girls" car. I want a big boy car. Have a friend trying to talk me into a Mercedes SL500 or a CL500 of the same vintage, but I loved that Jag so much. I'm able to use USAA and they offer service contracts directly. I decided to get one and checked the prices on all the cars I was considering. The Jag policy is cheaper than the CL500, which tells me a lot. Though the SL500 policy is even cheaper than the Jag. But the SL is only a two seater and it is almost identical to my CLK so it won't put that spring in my step that the Jag will. Wish me luck. Thanks for all your candid and entertaining commentary. Hope to be seeing more of you.

Old 07-24-2011, 04:17 PM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Don't be too scared JHouse, these forums are always rife with horror stories, it's doesn't happen to everyone, to be realistic I'd expect the odd the problem, so keep a little cash stashed just in case,if nothing goes wrong you can use that cash for Upgrades! These cars are just fantastic to drive, it puts two smiles on my face every time I drive it, one for my happiness, and one of pity for all those poor suckers out there who aren't driving an XJR :-)

JHouse (07-24-2011)
Old 07-28-2011, 11:28 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
There is no question that driving the Jag is wonderful. But after commuting with it every single day for 4 months, it got really boring. I got "used" to the car and it no longer seemed very special to me. I began to question why I was even paying a car payment just to drive a car that I was getting bored with. Maybe you guys don't get this feeling of boredom/complacency often, but then you guys probably don't have the "itch" like some people do (see that other thread in the off-topic section).

Enter Honda Insight. It does a fine job getting me to and from work, and actually rides just as well as the Jaguar oddly enough. Also has crucial features such as an AUX input. Of course it is noisier and (surprisingly) doesn't handle very well, not to mention excruciatingly show, but it has its own set of benefits such as low operating costs. Now I love the Jag again and can appreciate it fully for what it is. I am glad I still have the Jag, though, because without it, I would FOR SURE have the same feeling of boredom with the Insight.

You have to admit, after driving the same car for months, even years, it is not nearly as exciting as the first time you took it out on the open road, or even laid eyes on it and put your name on the title. This is the same for ANY car. My Miata (sold it a few years ago) was one of my favorite cars and was a BLAST to drive. However, after driving it every day for 3 years, the fun wore off and gave way to irritation to noises, creaks, rattling sounds, NVH, etc. However, whenever I went on a vacation or something and ended up driving a rental car for a week, coming back to the Miata was like shaking hands with an old friend. The car seemed new and fresh to me. I felt the same exhilaration, to a smaller degree, that I felt when I first took one out for a spin.

This is the concept that has helped form my current fleet. It's about balance. The frugality of my daily driver balances the opulence of the Jaguar. The lackluster of my daily driver balances the brilliance and charm of the Jaguar. The dependability of my daily driver balances the mechanical unpredictability/excitement of my Jaguar. I don't think I would want a fleet of just luxury cars--just like I wouldn't want a fleet of all economy cars (or all sports cars, for that matter).

Please, somebody tell me I'm not crazy!
Well, just as an update. I have now had the Insight for about 4 months. I have reached a balance between my Insight/Jaguar usage, which ends up being commuting with the Insight 3-4 days a week and the Jaguar for the others. I also use the Insight to run mundane errands around town where I wouldn't have good parking for the Jaguar (I don't have any door dings in the Jag, yet!), but I try to use the Jag if the weather is nice. For a night on the town, I always use the Jag, which is probably the best use of the car!

I can now say for certain that not driving the Jag for 1500 miles every month has definitely taken a lot of the anxiety of maintaining/repairing a Jaguar off my back.

Old 07-28-2011, 01:29 PM
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
Well, just as an update. I have now had the Insight for about 4 months. I have reached a balance between my Insight/Jaguar usage, which ends up being commuting with the Insight 3-4 days a week and the Jaguar for the others. .
I envy your ability to drive an Asian car and switch back to a luxury European car.

Old 07-28-2011, 01:38 PM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I don't blame anyone wanting to drive a beater to work, but it's not for me, I bought my XJR to have the ultimate in luxury with blistering performance EVERY day, and I love it, I sit in total comfort at the end of a hard day and it's a pleasure, it comes at a price, but the day I don't want to drive the XJR is the day it's time for change.
I often have to drive run of the mill cars on business and sometimes I think one's pretty good, then I get back in my Jag and I realise it wasn't a patch on my own car and I appreciate it all over again.

JimC64 (09-12-2011)
Old 07-28-2011, 02:53 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Frank M
I envy your ability to drive an Asian car and switch back to a luxury European car.
Meh. I just can't afford to drive the Jag every day. It's a simple fact. (Heck, there is a backlog of maintenance items on my Jag that I haven't done yet and I only drive the Jag about 400 miles a month!) When I was driving the Jag every day, the cost to own and operate it was almost as expensive as my rent, which is already $1500/month!

I guess what everyone is not having a Jag at all is somehow more honorable and/or desirable than driving a Jag for 2 days a week.

What gives?

Another alternative I am considering is leasing a new XF. According to my calculations, it will be cheaper to own and operate than my 6 year old XJ and will have much less risk since throughout the entire lease period it will be under warranty.

Last edited by amcdonal86; 07-28-2011 at 03:04 PM.
Old 08-20-2011, 03:05 PM

well.. if u get ready to sell... e-mail me with pics and info... my 1998 xj8 L needs a sister.

Old 08-21-2011, 09:24 AM
Veteran Member

We will see what happens. I am in the midst of a potential career change that may pay extra $$$. I probably won't make any vehicle decisions until I hear back about that.

Old 08-21-2011, 10:26 AM
Received 448 Likes on 333 Posts
Default Air suspension conversion?

I had a Lincoln at one time that was a great car, but it too had air suspension issues that were very expensive to fix at the dealer or even DIY with OEM parts.

The aftermarket industry came up with a spring swap kit and some electronic bypass circuitry for around $500 that allowed you to convert it to normal coil spring suspension and bypass the sir ride failure messages from the computer.

I converted mine and it was a trouble free luxury car after that. I suspect that this is what will happen with the air ride Jags as they get older and the new owners realize that even if they fix the air ride now, it WILL FAIL again in the future.

See Suspension Kits & Parts Expert: Find Air Shocks, Struts & Lift Kits

You guys might want to email them and see if they have any plans for engineering a kit for your cars.

(I made sure my Jag had no air suspension when I bought it, LOL!)

Also, for me, Jag ruined the look of the XJ with the 2004 model. It looks like every other car out there.

Last edited by Vector; 08-22-2011 at 12:59 PM.
Old 09-18-2011, 08:48 PM

I feel your pain... I have the same dilema, I bought my own Jaguar two years ago, this car its older then yours (you know more crap will happen) 1999 XJ8 Vandenplas, It's a gorgeous car, and if my pockets were really deep or I was married to a Jag mech, I wouldn't worry so much. I'm not in either situation. Plus I have two other cars (VW, and Mazda)
It's always a sigh it started, and a sigh nothing "happened" and I'm always really glad when I pull back into my driveway.
I'm selling mine, I can't handle the ulser it's gonna give me if I keep it. I do like it though, just wish it would run better. Makes my 1993 old Lincoln look like a perfect car without expense.

Old 09-21-2011, 12:06 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by carmat731
I have to say the decision for owning a Jag was simple. I got a used XJ8 for $22k, with less than 30k miles. I figured that if I spend $10k in repairs it would cost about the same as a brand new loaded Honda Accord; but still less than a new and loaded up Nissan Maxima. IT'S A NO BRAINER!!!! This shouldn't even be a discussion. If you don't want expensive repairs then Honda has a really nice Civic for sale (they throw in the plastic interior, road noise, and Matchbox car like ride for nothing). No offense to Civic owners.
This guy gets it. Even better is if you can get one for under $10k that has been well taken care of with relatively low miles. The best car I've every owned was a 97 VDP I bought for $7300 with 75k miles. I had it 4 years, drove it 40k miles and spent a total of $1500 in repairs/maintenance. Oh, and when someone hit it and totaled it I got back $8500.

Find me another car as nice as a Jag that I could drive for 4 years that would cost me under $9k with all the maintenance included.