XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

iCarsoft II Error Code Reset

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2019, 11:02 AM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default iCarsoft II Error Code Reset

After completing a transmission pan and filter change and fill, fuel filter replacement and oil change I reconnected the battery and attempted to start the engine for a brief run before rechecking the trans fluid. It started and ran very briefly before I shut it down. When I tried to restart later, it would only fire randomly but wouldn't start. FAST FORWARD, I purchased the latest Jag/Rover iCarsoft to see what is going on. There are EC's everywhere. I assume this has to do with the battery being disconnected. As background, all this started after the car kept going into restricted performance mode on night while what seemed like gas starvation after a robust use of the throttle for a short while.
Is it OK to clear all the codes for a "reset" after the battery is reconnected? Would this situation cause the engine to simply not start?

Old 12-28-2019, 12:09 PM
Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

Hi,
of course a low battery will cause some issues. Even if there is enough performance to turn the starter, while spinning it draws enough current to branch off other consumers.
And yes, it is o.k to clear all the codes after connecting the battery, but the codes are not able to cause starting failures.
So, if i may have a guess: are you sure that the fuel filter is correctly mounted, for i.e. in the right flow direction? Maybe a lack of fuel supply is causing your problem.

Fritz

Old 12-28-2019, 12:26 PM

I thought about the fuel filter and even though I was sure I checked the direction a couple of times, It will be worth pulling the underpanel again to check. Thanks for your comments!

Old 12-28-2019, 02:43 PM

Fritz, I was really hopeful the filter was the simple fix. It was correct but it looks like the fuel pump never energized the line. I guess that could be the problem with the starvation symptoms.

Old 12-29-2019, 07:54 AM
Received 115 Likes on 72 Posts

Once you reset codes and restart, any codes reappeared will direct you to the issue. Reset codes does not fix anything. The scanner provides option to select rear ECU, which related to fuel system. Also, switch scanner to live mode and check fuel pressure.

Post error codes that return, we might able to help with diagnose.

Old 12-30-2019, 03:44 PM

Annamiata, After a reset and an attempt to start the engine I got the same results, an occasional fire but it wouldn't start. I checked the voltage with the tester and got 12.26 on the 11 month old battery. I couldn't get a pressure reading but I am still learning all the testing capabilities of the iCarsoft II. I was able to read the following error codes:U1262 Communications bus fault.

U1134 Invalid or missing message for ignition switch/starter

B1352 Key-in circuit failure.
There may be a couple of other nuances that are helpful to know. When I changed the fuel filter I thought the system would have pressure. Fuel ran out of the line and filter but it didn't "spurt". Should the system register fuel pressure without the engine running?
Regarding the key issue, since I have owned the car (+/- 3 years, 35K miles) I have noticed that sometime if my knee bumps the key while in the ignition, I will get a park brake warning light that will stay on until I turn the car off and restart.

I don't know if I've given anyone enough information to help but I hope so! Thanks in advance for any insight.