XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Icarsoftmax scanner Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2024, 06:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 172 Likes on 128 Posts
Default Icarsoftmax scanner Questions

A buddy of mine gave me an icarsoft Max scanner. Till now I been using a wifi hookup to the obdII port with an app on my phone since my sdd stopped working years ago. Now I know Icarsoft has specific Jaguar scanners however I thought maybe this would work. So far it doesnt seem to support much for my 2004 XJR. Anyone have experience with this device?

Also my wifi app works great but when I had the car inspected last week the shop had an issue with communicating with the EEC for the OBDII inspection. Maybe Im having that issue now? Is that a common problem? Never had that issue before
\

Thanks!

Old 09-20-2024, 05:11 PM
Veteran Member

noone? :{

Old 09-21-2024, 02:41 AM
Received 236 Likes on 194 Posts

HI SlowpokexX,

this is a preliminary response only.

I have a SV8 since about 6 years , and the first scanner I bought is an iCarsoft i930, specific to Jaguar, that I nowadays keep in the car for emergency purposes. As this one (in my case) is not able to read everything, expecially not the ECU, I upgraded to SDD.
To me, the i930 is useful for detecting most of the DTCs, but for calibrating the suspension, etc., I use SDD.

Recently, after longish comparisons with different makes, I also bought an iCarsoft Max BT because I needed a scanner capable of scanning different cars from different makes.
At a first glance, the capabilities are the same as the with the i930, but I have only tried it out only once on the Jag and as such have not much experience yet.
I can update when I play a bit more with it and get more experience.

Best regards,

Thomas

Old 09-23-2024, 07:15 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Thomas-S.
HI SlowpokexX,

this is a preliminary response only.

I have a SV8 since about 6 years , and the first scanner I bought is an iCarsoft i930, specific to Jaguar, that I nowadays keep in the car for emergency purposes. As this one (in my case) is not able to read everything, expecially not the ECU, I upgraded to SDD.
To me, the i930 is useful for detecting most of the DTCs, but for calibrating the suspension, etc., I use SDD.

Recently, after longish comparisons with different makes, I also bought an iCarsoft Max BT because I needed a scanner capable of scanning different cars from different makes.
At a first glance, the capabilities are the same as the with the i930, but I have only tried it out only once on the Jag and as such have not much experience yet.
I can update when I play a bit more with it and get more experience.

Best regards,

Thomas
Thanks so much. My computer with SDD on it started acting up and I couldn't get the SDD going again a few years back. Being I own several modern jaguars that was a bummer but I never really needed to go to deep into things. I figured maybe this would work well as I also have several other vehicles. Interestingly they sell Porsche and Jaguar specific scanners but maybe that means nothing. Back to the SDD. DO you have a good source I can purchase a version for? I'll pick up a new laptop as well(will it only run on older windows as my other did?) Im trying to figure out issues with my adaptive cruise control and parking sensors. Honestly Id just turn off the ACC if its a sensor issue and the parking sensors, well they all seem to tick but the system isnt working. SDD should be able to give me the information I need to further explore.

Old 09-23-2024, 03:23 PM
Received 236 Likes on 194 Posts

iCarsoft sells different specific scanners, they make sense if you only need one for a specific brand as they are much cheaper than the multibrand scanners.

In any case, normally none of these scanners would have the same capabilities as the original software. This statement definitely applies to Jaguar.

regarding SDD (or IDS), I have V131 that I bought years ago, and after a long search I also found V125 (I think viathis forum), which actually is my preferred choice when scanning my car and modifiying settings because I find it more intuitive to use than the V131. I also managed to reflash the FEM, which I was not able to with V131.

Interface wise, I use an original VCM and not a mongoose, and since I started using it I did not have any problems anymore.

As I use dedicated laptops for the softwares, I do not have any problem running them with Windows XP .As far as I know, IDS/SDD does not run on newer operaring systems.

Best regards,

Thomas

Old 09-24-2024, 08:37 PM
Received 249 Likes on 189 Posts

If by "support much," you mean programming, the scanners generally don't program, only read. From what I see about that one it should give you visibility into just about everything in the car, but you can't adjust anything other than clearing codes.

Once you learn what you're looking at, they're great for troubleshooting, but if you're wanting to change some behaviors of the car, it won't do it.