XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

IDS vs SDD

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2017, 11:45 AM
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Default IDS vs SDD

I currently have a genuine Rotunda VCM and JLR IDS 118.5. Is there anything that SDD does that IDS doesn't? Does SDD support 2004 XJ8s or will it revert to legacy IDS?

Old 12-06-2017, 04:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,256 Likes on 2,379 Posts

Last version of Genuine OEM software for our models was 125.2 or 3 I believe so it's hard to answer your question with certainty. Give this a read and see if it helps. I have version 125.2 or 3 and I pick which one I open. As to whether one does something the other can't, I haven't come across anything personally but a tech would know. I find IDS a tad more intuitive for me to use than SDD, but that's just me.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/x6...l+02_02_12.pdf

The following users liked this post:
electechbw (12-06-2017)
Old 12-08-2017, 02:37 PM

Thanks Sean. Everything I've found seems to indicate that SDD is for 2005+ model years anyway, so I guess I'll just be sticking with IDS.

Old 12-08-2017, 04:50 PM
Received 267 Likes on 200 Posts

SDD and IDS both work with my 2004 XJ Vanden Plas. I use a Mazda VCM and JLR IDS 118.5 and I use a Mongoose(clone) and JLR SDD 131.7. The VCM works better for me

electechbw (12-08-2017)
Old 12-08-2017, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by Six Rotors
SDD and IDS both work with my 2004 XJ Vanden Plas. I use a Mazda VCM and JLR IDS 118.5 and I use a Mongoose(clone) and JLR SDD 131.7. The VCM works better for me
So SDD 131.7 doesn't revert to legacy IDS on your 04 XJ?

Last edited by electechbw; 12-08-2017 at 06:57 PM. Reason: punctuation
Old 12-08-2017, 08:46 PM

No. The oldest 2004 XJ I have used it on was about G06935, and my car is G28590, both use SDD.
My 2004 S-Type did revert to IDS. Serial no was about M98700.

Last edited by Six Rotors; 12-08-2017 at 08:54 PM.
electechbw (12-09-2017)
Old 12-09-2017, 07:01 PM
Received 247 Likes on 177 Posts
Default SDD & 2004 XJ8's

Originally Posted by electechbw
Thanks Sean. Everything I've found seems to indicate that SDD is for 2005+ model years anyway, so I guess I'll just be sticking with IDS.

I bought my wife an '04 XJ8 some 5+ years ago and it has always responded to my V130 SDD software. My '99 XK8 reverts to the IDS but not the XJ.

electechbw (12-09-2017)
Old 02-17-2020, 08:30 AM
Received 117 Likes on 98 Posts

I asked Diagnostic Associates if their newest Jag VCI would talk to all of the modules on a pre 2005 X350. They indicated that it could do so. However it then comes down to the WDS/IDS/SDD software version that would recognize the new device to use the correct drivers. It may only be the newer versions, that do not include full legacy coverage back before 2005.
None of the versions that I have would recognize the original DaVina since the drivers were not included in the packages (125-131-142). I do have the drivers for the DaVina2 however they did not seem to be compatible with the original.
I believe this is also what happens with the Mongoose vs Mongoose Pro, though cannot verify that.
This may also be the problem why clones are iffy for programming, if the drivers they supply are not robust enough to cover all the bases. After all they cannot try them out on every version of Jaguar that we want to use them on!

Old 02-17-2020, 11:36 AM
Received 117 Likes on 98 Posts

This is the first time I have had anyone say they could actually use SDD without reverting to IDS for the 2004's. How new is your Mazda VCM? Do both versions of the software automatically recognize it? Or did you find the proper drivers for from another source?
As a matter of curiosity why do you indicate using the VCM for the older version and Mongoose clone for the newer if you believe the VCM works better?
So many questions! However I am having a hard time, coming up with a totally reliable diagnostic solution combination, that any help is appreciated. Living up the 401 from you, in Kingston, I am a long way from a Jaguar shop and always like to do my own work on the cars anyway.

Old 02-18-2020, 09:47 AM

I have not tried using the Mazda VCM with any software newer than JLR IDS 118.5. I cannot remember exactly how old it is but would probably be new when IDS was introduced. At the time Ford and all its subsidiary car brands were introduced to IDS more or less simultaneously. We got update discs for which included updates for Ford,Volvo,Mazda etc on the same disc.

Sean W (02-19-2020)
Old 02-18-2020, 12:59 PM
Received 226 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by OldKarz
This is the first time I have had anyone say they could actually use SDD without reverting to IDS for the 2004's. How new is your Mazda VCM? Do both versions of the software automatically recognize it? Or did you find the proper drivers for from another source?
As a matter of curiosity why do you indicate using the VCM for the older version and Mongoose clone for the newer if you believe the VCM works better?
So many questions! However I am having a hard time, coming up with a totally reliable diagnostic solution combination, that any help is appreciated. Living up the 401 from you, in Kingston, I am a long way from a Jaguar shop and always like to do my own work on the cars anyway.
Just another confirmation - I use SDD on my 2004 XJR and use a Ford Rotunda VCM - same as Mazda or Jaguar VCM - drivers are inbuilt to SDD which recognizes the VCM when loading.

Sean W (02-19-2020)
Old 04-13-2020, 01:32 PM
Received 82 Likes on 64 Posts
Default Not Reverting/ loading IDS

I've got an issue running 130 or 138 on my 2000 XJ8 X308 using an OEM VCM - which I know SDD does not support the X308.

When I open using SDD, then entering the VIN, SDD then shows to load IDS with a "Load IDS" script text or Cancel.
I do not get an automatic revert to IDS after entering the VIN. So when I click on the Load IDS text the IDS Screen flashes up briefly then a dialog box comes up and says loading IDS, but when the loading dialog box closes, IDS does not open even waiting for 20-30 minutes. Ideas? Java?
Same behavior for 130 and 138 versions.

I am running VirtualBox versions which both are working for SDD and the Rotunda VCM at least to the VCM and flashing version info.

Next I am trying v125 VM as I write this as it opens and loads, so next to test the VCM comms.

On both V130 and V138 SDD recognizes the VCM, says it is connected, I get the amber communication light flashing between the VCM and the laptop with power on RED and VCM Green but not any amber flashing between the ECM and VCM.
SDD shows the Rotunda VCM in the top row icon, I can flash the VCM with either virtual version successfully.

I'll do some screenshots in the mean time, but does anyone have any hints? I find nothing in the IDS/SDD manuals that indicate specific "revert" to IDS from SDD unless it is in a TSB somewhere.

Old 04-13-2020, 02:04 PM
Thumbs up IDS V125 VM connect success, now need ...

V125 connection to the ECM is successful, just need the access to the Module Config and key screens PW ...

How the heck did I ever get by without IDS!

Last edited by StagByTriumph; 04-13-2020 at 02:21 PM.
Old 07-17-2020, 10:50 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I just downloaded a copy of v125. Says it's a .ova file, so I assume it's a complete install in a VM. My question is what adapter to use for a 2004 XJ and this version of the JLR. All I'm going to currently do is read and clear codes. At the current time, I'd like to go with the least expensive option. I'll upgrade the VCI if/when I need to do anything more involved.

Thanks in advance!

Old 07-19-2020, 02:50 PM
Originally Posted by EuroCollector
I just downloaded a copy of v125. Says it's a .ova file, so I assume it's a complete install in a VM. My question is what adapter to use for a 2004 XJ and this version of the JLR. All I'm going to currently do is read and clear codes. At the current time, I'd like to go with the least expensive option. I'll upgrade the VCI if/when I need to do anything more involved.

Thanks in advance!
Yes, .ova is a fully configured virtual machine copied from a previous existing dealer setup. Most are date/time sensitive requiring you to set your PC clock and calendar to sometime before 1-1-2011. Then you really need to learn the IDS/SDD software and communication methods because it is not a simple "click to view and interpret codes" program. Your 2004 "may" revert to IDS or not when opening from SDD depending on the VIN.

However I strongly recommend if you simply want to read and reset codes, there are much easier devices, including a $20 (or less) Bluetooth OBDII adapter and a $6 app for your phone called Torque PRO.

I use Torque PRO for 90% of my repair diagnostics to read the codes until I got to the point of needing an ECM diagnostic to perform pinpoint tests, which my local dealer performs a full bumper-to-bumper diagnostic scan with pinpoint tests for $145 out the door with full parts list recommendation printout and diagnostics printouts. But they did have the car for a full two weeks.

For reading and resetting codes, IDS/SDD is far too cumbersome requires a far more expensive Vehicle Communication Module (VCM) with cables and a tablet/laptop/pc of a certain vintage and model to tick all the program check boxes with green checks, and is a full blown dealer diagnostic tool that you can get into trouble quickly if you do not understand how it is working / communicating and gathering data on your vehicle and what the functions do. Then selecting a VCM or VCI is another dilemma as not all will perform all functions, some are finnicky to get working on VM's and take some tweaking of the VM settings for the communications ports and drivers on both the VM and host machines.

It probably took me a month to learn what I needed, find the correct stuff, put them all together, sort out the settings and learn what the different versions actually do with VCM/VCI compatibility to which models and years.

I went the road of configuring a full dealer diagnostic setup because I had 3 XJ's in my driveway and then a couple of local friends needing some help and it was prudent to get into pinpoint testing to verify component failures or wiring issues or ECM issues before any questionable and expensive replacement - which takes a lot more time and effort than a few button presses on a cellphone app to list the codes, then reference the JTIS troubleshooting guides.

But then again for seeing what the latest MIL/Check Engine light is if it is not displayed on the Communication display on my 2005, I still use my cheap $0.99 OBDII adapter and Torque PRO because it is the quickest and cheapest - less than 5 minutes, where hooking my IDS/SDD to the diagnostics with a 30-40 amp 13.8VDC power supply as required by the servicing diagnostics and I am in the garage for 3-4 hours minimum.

If you want quick and cheap, go with TorquePro and a recommended Bluetooth OBDII adapter.

Cheers!

The following 2 users liked this post by StagByTriumph:
jackra_1 (07-19-2020), paydase (08-15-2020)
Old 07-19-2020, 09:01 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I do have Torque pro, but I need to read C codes. I'm pretty familiar with these apps, as I've had a decent amount of seat time with the BMW ISTA/INPA program which seems very similar from the screenshots I've seen. Believe me, if the little handheld I have would read chassis codes, I might've been inclined to reconsider. That said, I have factory programs for the rest of the stable, so I'd like the Jag, as well.

Old 08-15-2020, 11:12 AM
Default Davina Driver

Originally Posted by OldKarz
I asked Diagnostic Associates if their newest Jag VCI would talk to all of the modules on a pre 2005 X350. They indicated that it could do so. However it then comes down to the WDS/IDS/SDD software version that would recognize the new device to use the correct drivers. It may only be the newer versions, that do not include full legacy coverage back before 2005.
None of the versions that I have would recognize the original DaVina since the drivers were not included in the packages (125-131-142). I do have the drivers for the DaVina2 however they did not seem to be compatible with the original.
I believe this is also what happens with the Mongoose vs Mongoose Pro, though cannot verify that.
This may also be the problem why clones are iffy for programming, if the drivers they supply are not robust enough to cover all the bases. After all they cannot try them out on every version of Jaguar that we want to use them on!
I have been playing with my JLR SDD 131.7 and it does appear to have the Davina driver software in it. However it will not run in Windows XP unless you install Net 4.0. I have attached screen pics. My computers have Net 3.0.

Last edited by Six Rotors; 08-15-2020 at 11:13 AM. Reason: clarification