XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Improve Approach Side Mirror Light to LED on X358 With Ease

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2014, 01:12 AM
Received 254 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Improve Approach Side Mirror Light to LED on X358 With Ease

I never cared for the very dull yellowish light that the stock 5W wedge filament bulb was putting out under the side mirrors on my X358 for the Approach Lights. Using a LED bulb upgrades the light to where the light is a bright white color that is very close to the whiteness of the HID head lights so they both complement each other much better. This upgrade really gives the car a "today" look. The LED bulb I used was a Warm White 10 LED 5630 wedge type (purchased on Ebay for $5.00 for four of them with free shipping from Hong Kong ). The pictures don't do it justuce but if you look you will see the old buld is very dull and yellow. The other picture shows the new bulb which is much more brighter (picture does not show its true brightness due to the camera flash) but you can see it is much closer to the headlights in color. One could use other LED options also.

The good news is that starting in June of 2007 through 2009 the X358 side mirrors were enhanced to have a directional indicator built into them. Because of this redesign, the Approach Light under the side mirror was also improved. Note that the X350's (Prior to June 2007) also had an Approach Light but the light was sealed inside the light holder and one would have to crack the plastic lens off if one wanted to upgrade the bulb to LED, a doable but rather tricky exercise as another member had posted a how to on.

The X358 Approach Light was modified to where the wedge bulb is now in a rubber socket that simply pushes into the Approach Light housing!!! This means changing the bulb is a much simpler exercise. The only trick is getting the Approach Light Housing out of the side mirror so the bulb can be changed. Here I discovered two short cut methods. The Jaguar Manual suggests to remove the mirror by pulling on it until it pops off, so with the mirror removed you can get inside and push the clip to the Approach Light to release it out. I have found two shortcuts that do not require the removal of the mirror (which I prefer). One, the tricky one, is to use your fingers to pull slightly down and out the bottom black portion of the side mirror housing at the seam and the bottom section will separate a little by about 1/4 of an inch (don't pull harder to get more of an opening or you may crack something), with a small flash light you can see the Approach Light's clip and with a small but long screw driver you can push the tab in to release the Approach Light down and out of the side mirror (see my picture of the Approach Light Housing removed and you will see the tab I am referring to). Second, the better approach, is to make a simple tool that will allow you to push the Approach Light tab. See my pictures on the simple tool. It is a thin piece of metal with a slight curve to it that you can then put it through the small rectangular access slot and push the Approach Light Tab. All you have to do is use the driver side mirror controller to angle the mirror to the upper most position so you can get access to this small rectangular hole (see picture). A small screw driver does not work to push the Approach Light tab as you can not get enough of a downward angle when inside the small rectangular hole to get to the bottom of the Approach Light Tab to push it in as the mirror is in the way. With the special hand made tool that is angled simply solved that issue. Push the special tool through the regtangular slot and push the Approach Light tab to relase the light housing down. To reinstall, simply put the Approach Light housing up into the side mirror on a angle so the fixed tab on the back of the Approch Light housing goes in first and then simply push the front side of the Light housing up and the tab will click the light housing into place.

Anyways, you can decide how you want to get to the Approach Light Tab to release the Approach Light, but the good news is that once the Approach Light is out, changing the bulb is easy.

Attached Thumbnails Improve Approach Side Mirror Light to LED on X358 With Ease-1-new-approach-puddle-light-warm-white-10-5630-led-bulb.jpg   Improve Approach Side Mirror Light to LED on X358 With Ease-2-old-approach-puddle-light-5w-filament-bulb.jpg   Improve Approach Side Mirror Light to LED on X358 With Ease-3-x358-review-mirror-directional-indicator-light.jpg   Improve Approach Side Mirror Light to LED on X358 With Ease-4-x358-review-mirror-directional-indicator-light-showing-approach-light-under-neith.jpg   Improve Approach Side Mirror Light to LED on X358 With Ease-5-pulling-down-bottom-cover-access.jpg  

Improve Approach Side Mirror Light to LED on X358 With Ease-6-pulling-down-bottom-cover-access-quarter-inch.jpg   Improve Approach Side Mirror Light to LED on X358 With Ease-7-home-made-tool-remove-approach-light-front-view-tool.jpg   Improve Approach Side Mirror Light to LED on X358 With Ease-8-home-made-tool-remove-approach-light-side-view-tool.jpg   Improve Approach Side Mirror Light to LED on X358 With Ease-9-tilt-mirror-up-see-rectangular-slot-access-push-out-puddle-light.jpg   Improve Approach Side Mirror Light to LED on X358 With Ease-10-home-made-tool-remove-approach-light.jpg  

Improve Approach Side Mirror Light to LED on X358 With Ease-11-approach-puddle-light-removed.jpg   Improve Approach Side Mirror Light to LED on X358 With Ease-12-approach-puddle-light-bulb-pulled-light-holder.jpg   Improve Approach Side Mirror Light to LED on X358 With Ease-13-approach-puddle-light-bulb-removed.jpg   Improve Approach Side Mirror Light to LED on X358 With Ease-14-approach-puddle-light-led-bulb-warm-white-10-5630-led.jpg   Improve Approach Side Mirror Light to LED on X358 With Ease-warm-white-10-5630-led.jpg  

Improve Approach Side Mirror Light to LED on X358 With Ease-15-approach-puddle-light-led-bulb-warm-white-10-5630-led-light.jpg  

Last edited by lcmjaguar; 07-13-2014 at 01:40 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by lcmjaguar:
anindyam (07-13-2014), Marc Gai (03-26-2018), PrinceRandom (04-11-2022)