XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Information overload on installing 2020 era radio in X350

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2020, 03:07 PM
Received 70 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Information overload on installing 2020 era radio in X350

So, like many others, I bought a X350 (2004 XJ6) and discovered the radio lacks the Aux input that allows a $20 Bluetooth interface with an Android phone for hands free, Google Maps and music. My particular car has a CD changer in the rear (optical cable), but is not the touch screen or the premium sound system.

As I look online to find a solution, I get hit with information overload as some have replaced older units with newer ones that gives them music but not hands free, some with steering controls, others not. Some have gone to extraordinary lengths, ordering wiring looms and sourcing parts from around the world. Others send their units off to a shop in the US, others to a shop in the UK to have BlueTooth or Aux soldered in. Then there is the one where they say "I took it to Best Buy and they set it up so it all works". Argh! What did Best Buy do?

I did buy the FM Radio Bluetooth interface from Amazon, which arrived amazingly fast (I'm in NZ) but the sound quality is disappointing.

It would seem the moderate solution to remove the 2004 radio system and replace it with a 2020-era DIN 2 radio that includes:
  • Hands Free Phone that mutes music while in use
  • Music from the Android phone
  • Music from an AM-FM radio in the device, not the phone
  • GPS map on the display built into the radio, or GPS display driven from the Android phone using Google Maps
  • Rear view camera - two choices here... in reverse only, or serve as a digital rear view mirror (my wing mirrors are flat and the car is big)
    • Note: If this is a problem, one can get a digital rear-view mirror that operates independently of the radio system
  • Nice if it interfaces with the steering wheel controls
  • Nice if it interfaces with the existing microphone (if it exists, mine is the basic car thus may have the wires, but unlikely to have the mic)
  • Possibly replace speakers, either because they are not compatible, or because they are getting old and tired, or they were weak to begin with
  • Standard: A nice music system, but this is not an audiophile wanting concert hall sound or a punk wanting to boombox the neighbourhood.
Question 1: Is the optical cable radio system linked into the climate control in a way that radio removal means climate control functions are disabled? If so are there workarounds?

Question 2: If not, what is involved in removing and replacing the radio with a 2020 radio?
  • This question includes the physical removal and the gotcha things to watch out for, including wiring and stuff easy to break like plastic tabs
  • Is there a wire loom kit like there are with cars like Honda and Toyota?
  • If not, is there a wiring diagram that shows the many speaker wires, and if so, where do I find this?
  • Are the steering wheel controls generic so they can interface with the radio, and, if so is this limited to radio make/models that do this?
  • Does anyone make a piano black bezel to fill the gaps, or is this something I would have to fabricate?

Question 3: What DIN 2 radio most closely matches the conservative look of the Jag?

I appreciate answers from forum members who actually did the change and were happy with it. Then once I have done it, I will write up a detailed 2020 instruction set worthy of a sticky.

Thanks

Old 12-15-2020, 07:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 171 Likes on 127 Posts

Now I dont think you are going to get an overload here on this. Best advice id you have the navigation option is Jagdroid. I intentionally bought my xjr without navigation as it doesnt also control heat/ac etc just in case. From my understanding you also cant just easily buy the ac/heat control panel and plug it in.

Look up jagdroid and see if that something youde like. People are happy with it

Old 12-15-2020, 11:24 PM

Do I understand that because my X350 does not have navigation (or a touch screen), the radio unit does not control the heat/ac and therefore can be removed and replaced with a new 2020 DIN 2 feature rich radio without complication?

In the old days, one could pull a radio out and replace it with a Sony, Pioneer, etc because it was DIN size. If an X350 does not have navigation or a touch screen (but does have the CD changer in the boot) can it all be removed without affecting climate control?

Old 12-16-2020, 02:04 PM

Ben from Jagdroid kindly replied with the following information:

"As far as I'm aware you can replace the radio unit and keep the climate system above it intact. However it would make your CD stacker no longer work as it relies on the fibre optic link from the original radio to operate."

If I was in the UK, I would gladly use his services, but as international post seems to have become a thing of the past it seems more sensible to buy a radio locally and put it in myself in a day.

Now to learn about wire loom kits. Anyone know about what is compatible?
And a bezel.

Old 12-18-2020, 06:19 PM
Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

The climate control should be just fine, its a separate unit. There will be an issue finding a front face plate to accommodate the double DIN radio. You may find a link on this website where the owners made their own faceplate and painted gloss black. I had considered doing this conversion on my 2004 XJR. 6 years later of owning the car I have not. There is an interface kit for the steering wheel remote. I have been told the wired rear cameras are best and most dependable although they are not fun to install. Running a wire the length of the car is a chore. I did install one of these units on another vehicle. $100 radio with GPS and blue tooth plus $50 for the camera. Really fantastic. Not a high power radio, but if that's what you want for another $100 you should be able to get a fine unit. Good luck

Rye Jag

Old 12-18-2020, 08:17 PM
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

This was a simple install of a Kenwood dvd player in my 2004 xj8. Used an S-Type installation kit and harness. Worked great but there is a small 1/4" gap on each side of the faceplate as the S-Type has a narrower center console. Doesn't bother me too much. Looks clean enough and the increase in sound quality was pretty huge. But I'm going to replace it with a model that has HD radio in a few weeks. FYI, the door speakers are 6 3/4" but with adaptors 6" to 7" will work depending on the depth. I was just looking for better sound quality, not the latest gizmo's. The standard (non-premium) radio isn't really very good.

Old 12-19-2020, 08:52 AM
Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

Genec

Looks good, I did not realize the S type faceplate was an option. Do you have a better photo so I could see the gap you refer too? all in the shadow on the photo you sent. Did you install the back up camera as well, an option on the Kenwood?

RyeJag

Old 12-19-2020, 01:54 PM
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by ryejag
Genec

Looks good, I did not realize the S type faceplate was an option. Do you have a better photo so I could see the gap you refer too? all in the shadow on the photo you sent. Did you install the back up camera as well, an option on the Kenwood?

RyeJag
Only thing with the S-Type kit is you have to paint it gloss black as the S-Type has a dark grey interior. I used a spray paint can that was designed for use on plastic. Then a few coasts of clear-coat for protection.

I will take another picture later today but the first one I already posted shows the gap pretty clearly. Look on the left side between the console and the faceplate. And no, I didn't install a backup camera. I will when I replace the radio when it warms a bit. My 61 year old bones don't like the cold outside air so much anymore! And cd's sound wonderful.