XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Inspected and test drove 48K mi. 2004 XJ8

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2015, 11:51 AM
Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts
Talking Inspected and test drove 48K mi. 2004 XJ8

at local Jaguar dealership. Platinum silver and Charcoal. Equipped just right for my preferences, premium sound cd player and changer with no nav, 18X8 dynamic alloys

Vehicle front sat low parked so, "vehicle too low" and test drive, "air suspension fault" were no surprise for known issues on this car.

Noticed the full spare tire well was wet on bottom when I went to grab loose tow bar and put it with jack assembly. Salesman didn't know if and where any rubber plugs in trunk area. I'm thinking rusty petrol steel support strap issue contributory factor.

Brake pedal was soft on test drive. Rotors looked clean.

Open recalls for #J004 OBDII and J012 Underfloor brake pipe.

Car drove like a dream, no drivetrain noise, no noises at all inside or out of cabin. I put all four windows down, opened sunroof and turned on climate control for the test ride. Acceleration on kickdown was smooth and quiet. Car went straight when braking and with hands off wheel.

Told them to fix the fault light issues, find out why trunk is wet and tell me why pedal is so soft. Salesman agreed to have shop look at and fix then give me a price on car. Shop will also run the VIN for me to check the service history which CarFax showed as decent; but, CarFax can only be used for so far in negotiation. Salesman ran the Direct Dealer Warranty - Vehicle Details for me already.

Need to search for claimed field actions I130Q, I120Q, R513C AND I999E.

NY lemon law for used car should cover 60 days/ 3000mis since too old for extended warranty.

I left a refundable $500 deposit to secure right to vehicle upon service department advisory on message center faults and aforementioned issues.

Asking more than I think it is worth. I figure it is a $10-$11K car if all is properly working and functioning. With trade in they have it there.

Dealer and service department have long time stellar reputation, so, I might just go for it if repairs are made, issues taken care of/explained and price is fair. Their offer on my well maintained and serviced 149K mi 06 GTO M6/18" for trade was more than reasonable.

This will tide me over until I find "the" 2003 XJR.

Wish me luck!

Old 10-11-2015, 04:04 PM
Received 48 Likes on 40 Posts

Good Luck! And I love that Caddy you have! I still want one from when my mother denied me one when I was 18!

Old 10-12-2015, 10:18 AM
Received 224 Likes on 125 Posts

If they are going to fix the CEL faults, I would ask them for a before and after print off from SDD.
You know the issues with these cars, so if you think the price is right, and it meets all your needs then go get it.

Old 10-15-2015, 08:41 PM
Received 116 Likes on 72 Posts

JimMLiny

That's lot $$ for 2004 with air suspension code. Do your research before you take a dive. I bought a 2004 XJ-8 with $47K miles, in Long Island, in November last year with no fault for a whole lot less than $10 to $11K. Good luck

Old 10-16-2015, 08:45 AM
Received 78 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by annamiata
JimMLiny

That's lot $$ for 2004 with air suspension code. Do your research before you take a dive. I bought a 2004 XJ-8 with $47K miles, in Long Island, in November last year with no fault for a whole lot less than $10 to $11K. Good luck
I agree....... was just waiting for someone else to say it. In the end you buy what you feel is car that checks all the right boxes. If the items in question can be rectified and your happy with the price none of our comments matter but..... here in AZ that's a ton of money for a 40K+ mile, 04.

Old 10-16-2015, 10:57 AM
Received 116 Likes on 72 Posts

There is one on EBay seller is near you XJ8 with 48K miles.
Jaguar XJ8 L Sedan 4 Door | eBay

Not affiliated

Old 10-17-2015, 05:22 PM
Smile

Originally Posted by trosty
If they are going to fix the CEL faults, I would ask them for a before and after print off from SDD.
You know the issues with these cars, so if you think the price is right, and it meets all your needs then go get it.

Which I did.

Interestingly enough, I just received email from salesman informing me car is back in service, after repair of air suspension fault by replacing two front shocks and new brake job on all four corners to correct soft pedal response on test drive, to "finish up the potential water leak through the trunk" per TSB I emailed him.

Salesman states when he brought car into service the tech told him, "there is nothing to print since the suspension was in default due to leaked out shocks". He has requested I give him a way to make the tech understand what I am asking for.

I thought I was pretty clear, SDD print out upon arrival to service, SDD print out before vehicle leaves service. I also requested copies of the internal ROs to verify repairs.

I think the tap dance has begun but will give them a chance due to their reputation and longevity through hard times in modern times and olden days.

Might have to do a drive-by Lee Myles transmission shop in Roslyn tomorrow just for the heck of it and make a pit stop if they are open.

Thanks annamiata for the "heads-up"!

Old 10-24-2015, 10:28 AM

Salesman just contacted me. Car is out of service with all issues cured. We will meet on Monday to review SDD report, ROs, one more test drive then negotiate final price. I'll bring an iCarsoft LRJ OBD-II scanner to hook up for verification of no faults and read data stream. Just had an inspection done on a 2003 XJR that takes a nice picture so I will have options come Monday.

Last edited by JimMLiny; 10-24-2015 at 11:40 AM. Reason: wrong model number
Old 10-24-2015, 01:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 203 Posts
Default Go for it

Originally Posted by JimMLiny
Salesman just contacted me. Car is out of service with all issues cured. We will meet on Monday to review SDD report, ROs, one more test drive then negotiate final price. I'll bring an iCarsoft LRJ OBD-II scanner to hook up for verification of no faults and read data stream. Just had an inspection done on a 2003 XJR that takes a nice picture so I will have options come Monday.
Inspect the rubber suspension parts to see if they are solid. If they look good and the SDD is clean, go for it.
With two new struts, a brake job, and good cosmetics it is worth 10K in my opinion. Should go to 100K without a lot of issues.

Old 10-26-2015, 08:28 PM

03 didn't check out as well as I had hoped so closed negotiation on 2004. With new front shocks, new brakes and water-in-trunk TSB addressed for less than $10K delivered after trade in, taxes, registration and fees. I offered $6K, his counter was reasonable. I like that it is from legit Jaguar dealer. Now just have to get over there, switch plates and drive it away. Bogged down with work and out-of-state travel so not easy peasy at this point.

Old 10-31-2015, 09:02 PM

Salesman delivered it to my home today, he switched plates with GTO and vrroomed off rowing through 1 to 3 like a champ for a fun ride back to dealership.

No faults, stopped by 28 year master tech from Jaguar's independent shop this morning before delivery to go over Direct Dealer Warranty - Vehicle Details and SDD reports along and internal ROs which listed nice stuff done prior to delivery - replace side marker and lens, replace dimmer switch, replace and paint fuel flap door, oil and filter change, wiper blade change, reprogram existing ECM using ISD/SDD for J004 recall, program and cut new transponder and valet keys to go along with original transponder key.

Well done Jaguar of Great Neck/Roslyn and big thanks and kudos to Kev at R.V.C. Auto Repair locally who I will be seeing Monday to order the coldest starting amp battery to replace the Dec 2013 one in vehicle to get that out of way.

Old 10-31-2015, 11:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,249 Likes on 2,377 Posts

Here's hoping to many years of the best ride you'll ever own.

Old 11-06-2015, 05:25 PM

Did a 250 mile round trip for business and what a delight it was being on road. Throttle response is much better than expected. An old friend is fond of saying, "expect nothing; and, you will rarely be disappointed".

Thought I had my first issue as the exterior temperature on climate control stopped showing today when I took her out. Went to check electrical connector to the ambient air temperature sensor under the passenger front fender and sensor was gone, connector connects to air.

Who friggin swipes one of these things for crying out loud. Connector looks like a solid connection is made so it didn't just fall out.

From what I can tell searching here and vendors it is part number LJA7605AB, right?

I know what I am doing this weekend to her besides new battery. Current battery is dated December 2013 so I am not taking any chances. Car will be parked outside in apartment parking lot so I think I will change it out every year in middle of fall before winter hits.

Old 11-06-2015, 05:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,249 Likes on 2,377 Posts

We have the benefit of an electronic Parts catalog from the x308 forum.

You can get it here:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...uctions-48194/

The following users liked this post:
JimMLiny (11-06-2015)
Old 11-06-2015, 08:40 PM

Excellent resource. Same diagram I used to figure part # which this resource confirms. Thanks a bunch.

Now if I can just figure how that sensor walked away without triggering alarm my mind will be at ease. Will have to figure out my Drew Tech purchase sooner than later to see what shows up on scan. Ambient air thermistor fault has to show up at a minimum.