XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Installed R1 Concepts rotors XJR

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2013, 11:12 PM
Received 255 Likes on 143 Posts

The only noise from my slotted and drilled rotors are from corrosion buildup if parked a few days in high humidity. But then, that also causes my other vehicle's OEM rotors to make noise also.

Old 02-04-2014, 05:22 PM
Received 122 Likes on 52 Posts

Hey all, thought I would give a little update. I finally got around to doing my rear brakes as well.

The R1 rear rotors look to be of the same quality as the fronts. The fitment was very good. And I replace the service brake pads and E-brake pads while I was here.

And the car seems to have fixed the spongy pedal on its own. One day while braking the pedal stiffened up and is now a high firm pedal again. I guess there was a tiny air bubble in the master from when I bleed the brakes and it finally burped out by itself. I was told that when pumping the pedal to bleed the brakes you may need to wait more like a minute between pumps for the master to recover instead of 5 sec like the manual says. I was going to try to bleed again, but it looks like it fixed itself.

Attached Thumbnails Installed R1 Concepts rotors XJR-2014-02-03-16.27.30.jpg  
Old 02-05-2014, 07:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 325 Likes on 198 Posts

Definitely slick looking rotors!

Any one knows whether the drilled/slotted rotors can be turned on a brake lathe? I have heard both sides - yes, if you go super slow on the lathe and no, they cannot be turned. Any experience out there?

Old 02-06-2014, 03:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 737 Likes on 465 Posts

I have a spare set of R1 Drilled and Slotted rotors for the XJR that im not going to use

I was going to put them on Ebay anyway soon as soon as I get around to get another set of R1 slotted (not drilled)

Any Aussies that want them PM me the freight is too much otherwise. I'll let them go for the price I paid less the freight which is more then the rotors due to the weight

Changed my mind for performance reasons
IE slotted is better than slotted and drilled for the track. On the strrrt does not matter so you may as well go for the "cool" factor

Cheers
34by151

Old 03-07-2015, 09:21 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ebc black dash for xjr x350

Hi everyone, I wanted to share my experience. I was looking to buy new rotors for quite some time, as the OEM rotors were burned up on the first trip to the German autobahn. So I have been doing some reasearch, and found out that BREMBO do not produce or produced rotors for the XJR. At least that is what I concluded after searching on BREMBO website. You can get brembo for the XJ V8, which are 320mm, but for the XJR. The only brembo on the car must be the pads and the calipers. I have made a special order with EBC, and it took 12 weeks for the delivery to UK. I was looking very much forward to fitting them, and so I had my Jag dealer do the job. I drove for several months here in UK, breaking them in, no hard braking at all, but I have noticed a slight vibration in the steering wheel, when braking from 80 mph. It goes away again around 40-50 mph. I have rather new Kumhos on, and wheels are in balance, and I got new ball joints and upper control arms. But when I finally got on the German autobahn again last week, when braking from 90-100mph steering wheel is shaking, and it feels like almost brand new rotors are already warped and destroyed. What was really weird, is when I had to do a really hard stop from around 145 mph, there was no shaking, no vibration and the car stopped very good, but when I apply the brakes no so hard, I get a vibration. I am very sad, that I waited so long for them, and this is the result. The rotors had a black coating, but it was gone after the first brake. I fitted brand new BREMBO original pads. Can it be that some of this black coating is burnt to the pads, and make them uneven? I am just so upset that I am probably looking and new rotors again. IN this case I would like to ask any one of you, how is the experience in terms of performance with the R1 concepts? thanks in advance

Old 03-10-2015, 07:47 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

I'd turn the front rotors only. Get a good shop to do it though.

Old 03-10-2015, 11:56 PM
Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Lagonia
Definitely slick looking rotors!

Any one knows whether the drilled/slotted rotors can be turned on a brake lathe? I have heard both sides - yes, if you go super slow on the lathe and no, they cannot be turned. Any experience out there?

Wheelers Dealers turned them on a Porsche. Check out the vid below.

The following users liked this post:
nycturbovr6 (03-17-2015)
Old 03-11-2015, 05:06 AM
doc
Received 202 Likes on 169 Posts

I emailed them no reply so I went with the Stop-Tech premium drilled and slotted they replied next day shipped at same time

I have used the Stop-tech premium drilled and slotted on my wife's Jeep 08 GC after 100,000 kilometres they hardly have a lip on them and the Akebono pads are half worn and the bonus the wheels are clean decided to go the same route with the XJ8
I liked the idea of the R1 rotors but when they don't reply what can you do

Old 03-11-2015, 05:20 AM
doc

Originally Posted by XJRLondon2004
Hi everyone, I wanted to share my experience. I was looking to buy new rotors for quite some time, as the OEM rotors were burned up on the first trip to the German autobahn. So I have been doing some reasearch, and found out that BREMBO do not produce or produced rotors for the XJR. At least that is what I concluded after searching on BREMBO website. You can get brembo for the XJ V8, which are 320mm, but for the XJR. The only brembo on the car must be the pads and the calipers. I have made a special order with EBC, and it took 12 weeks for the delivery to UK. I was looking very much forward to fitting them, and so I had my Jag dealer do the job. I drove for several months here in UK, breaking them in, no hard braking at all, but I have noticed a slight vibration in the steering wheel, when braking from 80 mph. It goes away again around 40-50 mph. I have rather new Kumhos on, and wheels are in balance, and I got new ball joints and upper control arms. But when I finally got on the German autobahn again last week, when braking from 90-100mph steering wheel is shaking, and it feels like almost brand new rotors are already warped and destroyed. What was really weird, is when I had to do a really hard stop from around 145 mph, there was no shaking, no vibration and the car stopped very good, but when I apply the brakes no so hard, I get a vibration. I am very sad, that I waited so long for them, and this is the result. The rotors had a black coating, but it was gone after the first brake. I fitted brand new BREMBO original pads. Can it be that some of this black coating is burnt to the pads, and make them uneven? I am just so upset that I am probably looking and new rotors again. IN this case I would like to ask any one of you, how is the experience in terms of performance with the R1 concepts? thanks in advance
Next time you get rotors look for CRYO rotors or get the rotors you order cryoed

When I had the XJR6 one of the guys on the forum had his rotors cryoed he also took his car to the Nurburgring and did a lot of high speed work on the autobahns the rotors lasted longer than any previous rotors he did go through a few sets of pads though

I just bought the Stoptech sport stop drilled and slotted premium rotors for my new XJ8

I was going to get them cryoed as Stoptech offer this service Cryogenic Treated Rotors but decided with the speeding laws here in Australia pretty bad and basically no points left on my licence my speeding days are over at least my really high speed ones anyway so didn't bother getting my new rotors done

Old 03-11-2015, 05:24 AM
Received 4,454 Likes on 2,426 Posts

If you're not in the US then the best way to buy R1 Concepts rotors is from thier eBay store, the shipping is handled by the eBay Global Shipping Program and much much cheaper than what R1 offer from their website ($80 vs. $500 or thereabouts).

Front, Rear items in R1 Concepts Ultimate Brake Store store on eBay!

The R1 ebay store has the R1 own brand, as well as StopTech (Sport Stop and Power Slot) and they also have EBC Redstuff pads, which was news to me.

Check out the S-Type R listings as well as XJR.

Old 03-11-2015, 05:52 AM
doc

Originally Posted by Cambo351
If you're not in the US then the best way to buy R1 Concepts rotors is from thier eBay store, the shipping is handled by the eBay Global Shipping Program and much much cheaper than what R1 offer from their website ($80 vs. $500 or thereabouts).

Front, Rear items in R1 Concepts Ultimate Brake Store store on eBay!

The R1 ebay store has the R1 own brand, as well as StopTech (Sport Stop and Power Slot) and they also have EBC Redstuff pads, which was news to me.

Check out the S-Type R listings as well as XJR.
Thanks Cam bit late now I have ordered the Stoptechs would have liked to try the R1,s
(did you get you car sorted)

Old 03-11-2015, 06:39 AM

R1, Centric, Stoptech, Powerstop, Powerslot, they all seem to be the same "high carbon" rotors with "black electro coating" so I reckon they are all from the same foundry to begin with. Just different machining... note they say "machined in the USA"

I bought plain Centric "high carbon" rotors for the Land Rover and they look to be same same as R1's...

Nothing sorted yet, been OS for the last 2 weeks but I ordered a pair of fuel pumps...

Old 03-12-2015, 07:09 PM
Received 255 Likes on 143 Posts

The Brembo website shows Brembo makes the rotors for 1990s - 2003 and 2005 - 2009 XJRs. They seemed to have missed 2004?
Here are part numbers from the 04 to 09 Jaguar Parts book, 04 and 05 has the same part numbers.....

Attached Thumbnails Installed R1 Concepts rotors XJR-04-09-brake.png  

Last edited by reyesl; 03-13-2015 at 02:17 AM.
Old 03-13-2015, 12:11 AM

The problem is the model year naming, since the US is different to the rest of the world.

The R models with these particular "Brembo" brakes are;

S-Type R, 2002.5MY to 2005MY (ROW), 2003MY-2005MY (USA)
XJR, 2003.5MY to 2005MY (UK/EU), 2004MY to 2005MY (USA)

But Brembo never made the rotors/pads on these cars, only the calipers.

Old 03-17-2015, 06:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great looking brakes! Did you get the calipers from R1 as well? I'm looking to upgrade my 07 XK to a high performance brake. Yours look awesome!

Old 03-18-2015, 11:14 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Cambo351
R1, Centric, Stoptech, Powerstop, Powerslot, they all seem to be the same "high carbon" rotors with "black electro coating" so I reckon they are all from the same foundry to begin with. Just different machining... note they say "machined in the USA"

I bought plain Centric "high carbon" rotors for the Land Rover and they look to be same same as R1's...

Nothing sorted yet, been OS for the last 2 weeks but I ordered a pair of fuel pumps...

R1 Brake Concepts is close to my office. What they do is buy the rotor blanks and machine them in house on their CNC machines. I watched this process and they machine the slotting, the cross drilling and the bolt pattern. And yes, you are correct, they use Centric and Stoptech blanks.
I have been using them on my XJR for five years now and am on my third set of rotors front and rear.
I feel that the cross drilled and slotted premium rotors work best with the OEM brake pads (R1 Concepts also sells the OEM pads). The metallic or ceramic pads require a harder effort on the brake pedal for the same stopping performance. The OEM brake pads emit more brake dust, but they are quieter and easier to modulate IMHO.

Old 03-19-2015, 08:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,108 Likes on 764 Posts

Does R1 also balance the rotors when they do the machining?

I had a problem with Centric rotors where a couple of them had not been balanced no caused a vibration.

Old 03-24-2015, 10:05 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ccfulton
Does R1 also balance the rotors when they do the machining?

I had a problem with Centric rotors where a couple of them had not been balanced no caused a vibration.

Yes, R1 balances the rotors and they even give you a one year warranty on the rotors! If they warp or are out of balance, or any other problem, they will replace them.