XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Installing bluetooth...Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 10:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 261 Likes on 183 Posts
Default Installing bluetooth...Question

I have installed the Bluetooth module in the trunk and am getting a "Config B" message in the message center, and both the red and yellow lights above the message center are flashing.

Does this mean that the option now has to be configured/added with dealer software, etc?

Also, I have a lead that has a loop attached to it, that has a tag labled "REAR ICE/DB005". The plug fits into the bluetooth module. This appears to be a power connector - can this be used in the bluetooth module? When I plug this in I get the config B message in the message center.

EDIT: I installed the small BT module in the center console - that was easy, just pluged it in and put in below the controls in the rear air vent/accessories area.

Also, I have a connector similar to the Rear ICE/DB005 that has a yellow tag labeled "BT INLINE". It is not long enough to the reach the BT phone module, and I am not sure in the BT Inline means Bluetooth.

EDIT: Premium ICE connector must be for the voice module.

TIA

Last edited by rscultho; 06-17-2012 at 11:57 AM.
Old 06-17-2012, 11:58 AM
Received 4,464 Likes on 2,427 Posts

A few things spring to mind;

Did you already have a phone installed in the car? If so you have to remove the existing phone module & swap it with the new one.

The order of the modules on the fiber optic network is important, i think you'll be in the wrong order if you take the Rear Entertainment slot. Correct order is;
Head Unit --> CD Changer --> Phone --> Voice --> Rear Media --> Nav --> Amp --> Head Unit
Just ignore the ones you don't have. I think there should be a connector marked Phone already.

The wiring harness to the center console needs to have 8 pins in the connector, if you've only got 5 pins (like most pre-06 cars) then there's a bit of work to add the missing wires to the loom.

Last edited by Cambo; 06-17-2012 at 01:00 PM. Reason: Ooops...forgot the nav in the order...
The following users liked this post:
rscultho (06-17-2012)
Old 06-17-2012, 12:50 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Cambo351
A few things spring to mind;

Did you already have a phone installed in the car? If so you have to remove the existing phone module & swap it with the new one.

The order of the modules on the fiber optic network is important, i think you'll be in the wrong order if you take the Rear Entertainment slot. Correct order is;
Head Unit --> CD Changer --> Phone --> Voice --> Rear Media --> Amp --> Head Unit
Just ignore the ones you don't have. I think there should be a connector marked Phone already.

The wiring harness to the center console needs to have 8 pins in the connector, if you've only got 5 pins (like most pre-06 cars) then there's a bit of work to add the missing wires to the loom.
Did not have a problem connecting small bluetooth module in center console. It pplugged right in.

All of the connectors have yellow tags with the component name they are attached to. If I follow the side of the fiber optic cable using the yellow tags attached as "into" connections, I currently I have the cable routed to the following units in this order:

Amp , DVD unit, CD changer, and then that goes to a connector that has a loop that has a yellow tag marked "Premium ICE/DB005"

I don't have a cable marked "Phone". But I do have a cable connector that isn't being used marked "BT Inline".

Interesting, if I plug the optic cable marked for Premium ICE into the phone module, the phone becomes available in the display in the dash, and it comes up as "Discover Me". But, in the message center, a message is displayed "Config B" and the two lights right above the message center (Yellow, and Red) flash rapidly. The Red light you normally see when you have a door or the trunk or whatever open. There is a yellow light just to the left of that red light.

I've attached a picture. You can see the loop to the right in the 1st photo. I know you can't make out order there. The second photo shows the "BT Inline connector" in the upper left, and the connector in the lower right all the components are attached to...

Attached Thumbnails Installing bluetooth...Question-fibercable.jpg   Installing bluetooth...Question-fibercable_2.jpg  

Last edited by rscultho; 06-17-2012 at 12:54 PM.
Old 06-17-2012, 01:04 PM

So the car never had a phone in it previously???

Originally Posted by rscultho
Did not have a problem connecting small bluetooth module in center console. It pplugged right in.
Yes it'll plug right in, but if it's missing pins then you have no connection.
You have to really count how many pins are in that connector.

All of the connectors have yellow tags with the component name they are attached to. If I follow the side of the fiber optic cable using the yellow tags attached as "into" connections, I currently I have the cable routed to the following units in this order:

Amp , DVD unit, CD changer, and then that goes to a connector that has a loop that has a yellow tag marked "Premium ICE/DB005"

I don't have a cable marked "Phone". But I do have a cable connector that isn't being used marked "BT Inline".

Interesting, if I plug the optic cable marked for Premium ICE into the phone module, the phone becomes available in the display in the dash, and it comes up as "Discover Me". But, in the message center, a message is displayed "Config B" and the two lights right above the message center (Yellow, and Red) flash rapidly. The Red light you normally see when you have a door or the trunk or whatever open. There is a yellow light just to the left of that red light.
OK have a look at the order again. Prem ICE is "amp".

I've attached a picture. You can see the loop to the right in the 1st photo. I know you can't make out order there. The second photo shows the "BT Inline connector" in the upper left, and the connector in the lower right all the components are attached to...
BT Inline is unrelated, don't worry about it.

OK it can be that your fiber optic cable was missing the phone connector.
In this case you will need to shuffle the connections around to get the modules in the correct order.

But still check that connector under the armrest if it has 5 or 8 pins in it.

rscultho (06-17-2012)
Old 06-17-2012, 01:19 PM
Veteran Member

So the car never had a phone in it previously???

Oh, and there was no original phone in the car.

Yes it'll plug right in, but if it's missing pins then you have no connection.
You have to really count how many pins are in that connector.

OK have a look at the order again. Prem ICE is "amp".

BT Inline is unrelated, don't worry about it.

OK it can be that your fiber optic cable was missing the phone connector.
In this case you will need to shuffle the connections around to get the modules in the correct order.

But still check that connector under the armrest if it has 5 or 8 pins in it.
I checked the small Bluetooth connector in the center console, male end in the console - two rows of 5 pins, second pin from left on bottom row was missing/not there. Female connector part (on small bluetooth unit) had 10 receptors, 2nd from left was blank, which appears to match the connector in the console.

I will look at the order of the units in the back.

Is there any possibiity of screwing anything up if they are connected in the wrong order?

Last edited by rscultho; 06-17-2012 at 01:21 PM.
Old 06-17-2012, 01:35 PM

You lucky devil, mine's only got 5 pins & i'm going to have a hell of a job with the retrofit. Got all the parts but no time to pull the car apart (going to do the ACM at the same time)

No you won't damage anything by having them in the wrong order, it just won't work!

rscultho (06-17-2012)
Old 06-17-2012, 01:40 PM
Veteran Member

Head Unit --> CD Changer --> Phone --> Voice --> Rear Media --> Nav --> Amp --> Head Unit
Ok, so I traced the fiber cable and the orginal order is:

HU - CD Changer - Premium ICE connector which has the loop (basically a no-op connector) - Nav, Amp - HU

So if I plug the connector in to the phone module that is marked Premium ICE the phone module should be in the correct order.

I started the car again, and selected the phone option, and the display comes up in the head unit. There is a signal meter in the display, showing 5 bars of signal strength - I'm assuming this is the bluetooth signal strength. But the message center displays the "Config B", and the red and yellow lights flash.

The message center seems to be the only issue remaining. Don't know what the message means.

Old 06-17-2012, 01:42 PM
Veteran Member

You lucky devil, mine's only got 5 pins & i'm going to have a hell of a job with the retrofit. Got all the parts but no time to pull the car apart (going to do the ACM at the same time)

No you won't damage anything by having them in the wrong order, it just won't work!
By the way, I am gonna send you enough funds for for your favorite beverage - send your address to me in a PM. And you cannot say no!

Old 06-17-2012, 02:07 PM
Old 06-17-2012, 02:19 PM
Veteran Member

Appreciate the info. When i disconnect the phone from the loop the message goes away, so this has something to do with configuring something.

I know a guy locally that has been working on Jags for over 25 years. I'll put it to him and post what I find.

I areally appreciate all the help! Hopefully I can find out what this is and help evryone out with it.

Old 06-17-2012, 02:21 PM

Worst case you need someone with a WDS/IDS/SDD diagnostic kit to re-flash the modules.

Old 06-17-2012, 07:10 PM
Veteran Member

I found a Config B error listing in TOPIx - SSM8121

But I can't access it - apparently it requires a subscription

Old 06-17-2012, 07:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,490 Likes on 908 Posts

It looks like a trip to the dealer might be in order (see attached)

Attached Files
rscultho (06-18-2012)
Old 06-17-2012, 08:14 PM
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Worst case you need someone with a WDS/IDS/SDD diagnostic kit to re-flash the modules.
This is getting interesting. I'm sitting on the edge of my chair!

Old 06-18-2012, 01:59 AM

Originally Posted by u102768
Yep that confirms it, the phone module needs programming with a WDS/IDS/SDD...

Funny, it must be something unique to North American spec cars, cause there have been dozens and dozens of bluetooth retrofits done in Europe without issue...my X-Type for example, never had a phone fitted, and was even missing the wiring loom, it just worked...

Old 06-18-2012, 02:48 AM
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Yep that confirms it, the phone module needs programming with a WDS/IDS/SDD...

Funny, it must be something unique to North American spec cars, cause there have been dozens and dozens of bluetooth retrofits done in Europe without issue...my X-Type for example, never had a phone fitted, and was even missing the wiring loom, it just worked...
So let me ask you this, with your new found tooling would you be able to "flash the module"?

Old 06-18-2012, 03:18 AM

The software could do it yes. It's the same kit as the dealers have.
But I can't do it, have you noticed my location? Not exactly round the corner...

Old 06-18-2012, 06:36 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by u102768
Thanks so very much for posting this. I have to go to the dealer this afternoon and I iwll ask them about doing this. If it is this simple then that will be great.

The only other issue that I *may* have is the microphone. I discovered in another thread that since I don't have the voice module installed I will need to "bridge" the voice connector in order to get the microphone to function properly. In the other thread a part number is listed that will plug into teh connector to bridge the microphone and allow it to function properly. Gaudin Jaguar parts lists it as a lead link for ~$26.

Also, I cannot find the manual for the phone in the XJ - specifically for 2005. I searched TOPIx but can't find it anywhere. If anybody has a PDF I'd appreciate a copy. It has the code to use to pair your phone with the Bluetooth unit (I need that code).

Old 06-18-2012, 07:39 AM

Actually there is more to it than that.

For whatever reason, the standard mic in the roof console is very quiet when used with the Bluetooth system. It worked fine with the built-in GSM phone, but there were so many complaints about the mic volume that Jag issued a TSB for the first cars that came out with Bluetooth and an external microphone had to be fitted. These mics became standard fit after that. Download the TSB HERE

They look like this;

Part numbers are;

C2C29785SEL = Champagne
C2C29785LFJ = Nimbus Grey
C2C29785LHJ = Dove
C2C29785AGD = Oatmeal

In regards to the Bridge, it's basically a blanking plug that connects into the Voice connector, to complete the circuits for the voice, here is a picture, grey connector top of the shot

As you can see it's just a mating connector with a couple of loops in it!
I'm pretty sure you can figure out which wires need terminating from the wiring diagrams & that pic. Or buy it from Gaudin hell $26 aint the end of the world.

And finally, you can download the manual for the Bluetooth here jaguar.bttlxe.com - /xtype/Bluetooth-Latest/ it's the same for X-Type, S-Type & X350 XJ

The following 2 users liked this post by Cambo:
rscultho (06-18-2012), u102768 (06-18-2012)
Old 06-18-2012, 07:55 AM
Veteran Member

Yea, I installed an external microphone. I did not have a microphone in the roof console.

I will look over the diagram and see if I can figure the connections out. To be clean I may just order the connector blank/bridge from Gaudin.

Thanks for the link to the manual!!!

We should create a permanent thread for this Bluetooth info!

Actually there is more to it than that.

For whatever reason, the standard mic in the roof console is very quiet when used with the Bluetooth system. It worked fine with the built-in GSM phone, but there were so many complaints about the mic volume that Jag issued a TSB for the first cars that came out with Bluetooth and an external microphone had to be fitted. These mics became standard fit after that. Download the TSB HERE

They look like this;

Part numbers are;

C2C29785SEL = Champagne
C2C29785LFJ = Nimbus Grey
C2C29785LHJ = Dove
C2C29785AGD = Oatmeal

In regards to the Bridge, it's basically a blanking plug that connects into the Voice connector, to complete the circuits for the voice, here is a picture, grey connector top of the shot

As you can see it's just a mating connector with a couple of loops in it!
I'm pretty sure you can figure out which wires need terminating from the wiring diagrams & that pic. Or buy it from Gaudin hell $26 aint the end of the world.

And finally, you can download the manual for the Bluetooth here jaguar.bttlxe.com - /xtype/Bluetooth-Latest/ it's the same for X-Type, S-Type & X350 XJ

Quick Reply: Installing bluetooth...Question