XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Instructions on how to repair your adjustable pedals

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2017, 10:38 AM
Received 26 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Instructions on how to repair your adjustable pedals

Had a chance to install a new gear on an XJ8 so I thought I'd write up how to do it.

1. remove the cover under the dash that covers the pedals up. (this car had it removed already)

2. Remove the four bolts holding the steering column cover on.

3. Remove the two T-20 Torx bolts that hold the black cover on the brake pedal assembly.

4. Grasp the cover, gently pull it off revealing the gears inside. There is a black wave washer that may or may not fall off. Save this washer as it will be used later.

5. The center of the shaft has a small nub on it that secures the washer in front of the gear. This nub must be ground off in order to remove the gear. You can use a file or a rotary grinder to remove just enough metal to expose the washer and center shaft.

6. Grab the gear and twist it counter clockwise, as it pushes against the washer it will tighten up, you may wish to use a rag to keep your hand from getting sore but keep twisting the gear it will push the washer off and then you can remove the gear.

7. Put a dab of grease on the inside and outside of the gear, install the gear onto the shaft.

8. Set the steel cap (provided with the gear) onto the end of the shaft, smack it with a hammer to install it.

9. Smear some grease onto the flat face of the gear, then place the wave washer from earlier into grease.

10. Now snap the black plastic cover back onto the assembly.

11. Re install the two T-20 bolts

12. Re install the steering column cover and the dust shield from below.

DONE!

The following 6 users liked this post by Curless Auto:
Datsports (08-10-2017), dukeflyer (03-14-2020), Jakes XJR (08-08-2017), Jaroslav Záruba (12-27-2023), rsa760041 (08-14-2017), Wingrider (01-03-2024) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-08-2017, 10:39 AM

I'd love to post pics.... I can't....

Old 08-09-2017, 08:18 PM
Received 87 Likes on 71 Posts

Re steps 8 and 9, does the wave washer go under the steel cap? If not, what holds it in place?

The following users liked this post:
sukhoy1972 (01-17-2024)
Old 08-10-2017, 08:20 AM

[QUOTE=Boomer from Boston;1737768]Re steps 8 and 9, does the wave washer go under the steel cap? If not, what holds it in place?[/Q

Here's the photos...

Attached Thumbnails Instructions on how to repair your adjustable pedals-shaguar-001.jpg   Instructions on how to repair your adjustable pedals-shaguar-002.jpg   Instructions on how to repair your adjustable pedals-shaguar-003.jpg   Instructions on how to repair your adjustable pedals-shaguar-005.jpg   Instructions on how to repair your adjustable pedals-shaguar-008.jpg  

Instructions on how to repair your adjustable pedals-shaguar-009.jpg   Instructions on how to repair your adjustable pedals-shaguar-010.jpg   Instructions on how to repair your adjustable pedals-shaguar-011.jpg  
The following 7 users liked this post by Curless Auto:
Datsports (08-10-2017), dukeflyer (03-14-2020), gramick (04-18-2020), hafren (08-15-2017), Jaroslav Záruba (12-27-2023), rsa760041 (08-14-2017), sukhoy1972 (01-17-2024) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-16-2020, 11:41 AM
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I have got the great new gear from Chris and try to install it.
Tried to grind off the center so the washer comes off. No success. I have the feeling I have taken off enough material that the axle is flat with the washer, but still no way I can remove the washer and replace the plastic gear with the shiny new metal one. Am I too careful and have to grind down more?

At least I managed to free up the seized up gear temporarily so I can turn the gear manually and even with the motor. But what happens is that only the brake pedal is moving, not the throttle. They should be interconnected, right?

anyone has an idea what is going on here?
thanks for your help.

Eberhard

Old 04-16-2020, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by dukeflyer
I have got the great new gear from Chris and try to install it.
Tried to grind off the center so the washer comes off. No success. I have the feeling I have taken off enough material that the axle is flat with the washer, but still no way I can remove the washer and replace the plastic gear with the shiny new metal one. Am I too careful and have to grind down more?

At least I managed to free up the seized up gear temporarily so I can turn the gear manually and even with the motor. But what happens is that only the brake pedal is moving, not the throttle. They should be interconnected, right?

anyone has an idea what is going on here?
thanks for your help.

Eberhard
Hi there, can you see the outline of the center shaft on the face of the washer you just ground down? It will be about half the size of the washer face in the center? Try this, grab a good pair of leather work gloves, grab that stock gear and twist it like you are trying to take it off... once it gets really hard to twist.... twist harder... you should be able to use the gear to remove the washer if you have ground it down enough...

Old 04-16-2020, 11:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 798 Likes on 670 Posts

No, the gear needs to be twisted off after you get the surface flat.
He refers to it as walking it off, (the washer) by twisting the gear counter clock wise,
I used a pair of channel locks, a pair of large pliers would also work.
Chris Curless said he uses a glove when he does one.
He has some instructions, with pictures on facebook.
Take your time, follow the instructions, & your pedal adjustment will soon be working.

Jaroslav Záruba (12-27-2023)
Old 04-16-2020, 11:54 AM
Veteran Member

Nice one Chris, beat me by two min's

Old 04-16-2020, 01:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 483 Likes on 370 Posts

The pedals on my '06 STR move only about a 1/4" Does this sound like a gear issue? If so, where do I get one?

Old 04-16-2020, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by Curless Auto
Hi there, can you see the outline of the center shaft on the face of the washer you just ground down? It will be about half the size of the washer face in the center? Try this, grab a good pair of leather work gloves, grab that stock gear and twist it like you are trying to take it off... once it gets really hard to twist.... twist harder... you should be able to use the gear to remove the washer if you have ground it down enough...

Thanks Chris, I can see at least a groove half the center of the shaft. Perhaps I will habe to ground Dow a bit more but I amnhaving the feeling I am already flat with the washer. Will try to make a foto tomorrow. Tried to turn th wahre with channel locks but no success. Perhaps I am just too careful. Would a gear puller work?

Old 04-16-2020, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by Wingrider
No, the gear needs to be twisted off after you get the surface flat.
He refers to it as walking it off, (the washer) by twisting the gear counter clock wise,
I used a pair of channel locks, a pair of large pliers would also work.
Chris Curless said he uses a glove when he does one.
He has some instructions, with pictures on facebook.
Take your time, follow the instructions, & your pedal adjustment will soon be working.

thanks for the help. I will post a foto tomorrow if I can’t get it sorted out with a bit more force.

what about the fact that only the brake pedal is moving? Is that also a problem that is solved with the new gear or do I have another problem here?

Old 04-16-2020, 02:57 PM
Veteran Member

They both should be moving, but the brake pedal is a lot closer, as well as a lot bigger, fools the eye

Old 04-18-2020, 10:24 AM

So here is a foto of how my assembly looks. At least no obvious damage to the gear.
What you see in the foto is the sanded down washer with no obvious sign of a Centre axle sticking out. Do I have to sand it down more?
i have also put a mirror to the side so you can see the washer sitting on top of the gear.

After some sticking I got the gear turning again but as I said: it will only elevate the brake pedal not the throttle. Made a little video, but I am not sure I can post it here.

any ideas?

Old 04-18-2020, 11:50 AM
Veteran Member

You appear to have plenty ground off, you can grind off too much
Keep on twisting that gear counter clockwise, use a glove, or a pair of channel locks, or large set of pliers.
Then the washer WILL walk off of the shaft, but a good bit resistance will be felt.
KEEP TWISTING that fu**ing gear!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-20-2020, 10:32 AM
Received 81 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Can I just replace the motor?

I no longer have the patience nor the back to get under my dash for extended periods of times. Old is old folks. Rather than the grinding, new gears and such, what should I un-bolt and replace? I see scores of motors for the pedals on the Internet. Am I pissing up a rope? Thanks.

Old 04-20-2020, 10:50 AM
Veteran Member

Having installed these gears on both my Jaguars.
IT IS NOT THAT HARD OF A JOB, GET BUSY !!!.
The gear IS a little difficult, to get hold of,to walk that washer off.
Keep at it, IT WILL COME OFF.
Follow the instructions, look at the pictures.

Old 04-20-2020, 11:01 AM

Without getting into my medical history for the last 69 years, I have a 4"scar on the lumbar area of my back. If I could contort my body enough to get under the dash I'd do it. I can fix most anything, In fact the 70 year old grandfather clock in which I replaced its movement is chiming right now; but I am not going to do this for obvious reasons.

The question is still: will replacing the pedal motor work?

Old 04-20-2020, 11:54 AM
Veteran Member

As a black friend who is no longer with us used to say; (To each his reach).
I also have the scar that you mention, on my neck, & lower back, with a few others.
I'm getting older now at 70, not near as fast, but i just have to keep at it, i'm poor in cash, rich in life.
It's a bitch getting old, getting to meet Dr's with such long list of titles after their names.
That all too often make nice incisions, to repair or remove malfunctioning parts.

Old 04-20-2020, 01:53 PM

I surely know what you mean. Knees, back, wrists, etc. I've had more incisions than a Thanksgiving turkey. I'm in the shop more than my 2004 XJ8. Keep on keepin' on, brother. We do what we can when we can.

Carry on and be safe.
--

Jaroslav Záruba (12-29-2023)
Old 12-29-2023, 11:56 AM
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by dukeflyer
So here is a foto of how my assembly looks. At least no obvious damage to the gear.
What you see in the foto is the sanded down washer with no obvious sign of a Centre axle sticking out. Do I have to sand it down more?
i have also put a mirror to the side so you can see the washer sitting on top of the gear.

After some sticking I got the gear turning again but as I said: it will only elevate the brake pedal not the throttle. Made a little video, but I am not sure I can post it here.

any ideas?

Yeah, I don't think the throttle pedal is supposed to be adjustable.

I am pretty much where you were those 3.5yrs ago with this last image from you: I ground away what stuck out through the bronze washer, I can also rotate the bronze washer using pliers, but I can't make it F-off even when pushing against it using the gear-cog.
A properly sized c-profile with a screw through it could probably pull that bronze btch off.
Well, tomorrow is another day though.

Last edited by Jaroslav Záruba; 12-29-2023 at 02:22 PM.

Quick Reply: Instructions on how to repair your adjustable pedals