XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Interchangeable seats...X308 to X350

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2022, 01:47 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Interchangeable seats...X308 to X350

Hi folks,

It's nice to be back! I was last here about three years ago when I had to park my '99 XJ8 VDP. It ran beautifully, but it failed the MOT due to floor panels and rockers being rusted through. I just couldn't find anyone nearby who would do the job. They all seemed to think that a jag is an exotic car and that I would sue them if they didn't do a perfect job. I kept telling them, "It's sheet metal...if you screw it up, we can get more and try again!" Between you and me, I didn't really mean that. I was just desperate to manipulate someone with welding skills into taking on the job

I am seriously considering parting out my '99 VDP. What do you think? This would be the place to do it, I think.

It ran perfectly, except the transmission would sometimes not go into drive unless I moved the gear selector just the right way, and sometimes it would drive but not shift into 2nd gear. A wiggle or two and it would be fine. The cable needs to be adjusted. Other than that, it ran perfectly. I won't sell it "as is" for someone's 'project'. Too many projects never see the road again. That's a waste. I'd prefer to sell the pieces so several others can benefit. Maybe mine can get 2-3 others going. The engine is perfect. Radio, throttle body, calipers, wheels, bonnet, boot lid, doors, glass, carpeting, right headlight cluster, engine, transmission...when I am down to a frame, I'll have it taken to a local scrap metal dealer.

OK, that's the old. Now the new!

I just picked up a beautiful Midnight Black, 2005 XJ8 VDP. It has a few minor issues (park brake fault, a dented left rear panel above the turn signal light), but it's been well cared for overall. I originally thought that there might be a whole lot of parts that can be salvaged from my '99 and used in the '05. Nope...the X350 is totally different from an X308. If only I could get JEPC to display diagrams, I might have noticed that..lol.

However...what about the seats???? Hmmmmmm??? Can they be swapped? The seats in my '99 are soft-grained leather, sportier, sexier seats. They even have a semi wrap-around side bolster. They are a bit more awkward to get into and out of, but they are the most comfortable, solid car seats I've ever experienced. I want to swap them.

Now, here's where I rely upon your experience. Have any of you ever done it, or do you know if they are bolt-in replacements? I can't measure the seats in my '99. It is in storage some distance from me. If someone can confirm for me that they are swappable, I shall plan a road trip.

Thanks everyone.

By the way, has anyone ever looked into what components can be swapped? Maybe there is a list out there somewhere...not likely. I'm just thinking out loud.

Old 12-26-2022, 02:17 PM
Received 93 Likes on 71 Posts

I would say no as there are millions of computers involved in everything on the 350, including the seats. I dont think you will find anything is inter changeable between them apart from bolts. You will also find that x308 parts are significantly cheaper than the x350 parts. Door mirrors being a prime example.

Old 12-26-2022, 02:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 203 Posts
Default Good luck

I doubt the effort to install will be worth it. The bottoms and backs might be installable on the x350 bases.
Jaguar made several seats for x350 models. They are not drop in replacements either.
The simple job of swapping a VDP bottom for the worn XJR bottom took three attempts. Hardware was not interchangeable.