XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Intercooler Pump wiring diagram?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2015, 03:27 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Intercooler Pump wiring diagram?

During a recent radiator replacement on my 2005 XJR, I found that the two wires that lead to my intercooler pump have been pulled from the plug. I suspect that some slack had developed and the wires caught on something.

The wires from the pump that lead up to the male/female plug are intact and still attached to the pump. These wires are red & black and white & black. The plug still has both pieces snapped together. There are two wires that appear to have been pulled from the back side of the plug; one is solid white and the other is solid black. Can anyone tell me if the white wire should be hooked up to the black & white pump wire, or should it go to the red & black pump wire?

The next step will be to source a replacement air mass meter hose (the plastic accordion hose) since a recent lean code reared its ugly head and my mechanic suspects that hose, or possibly a throttle body gasket, are causing the code.

Thanks!

Old 02-15-2015, 06:13 PM
Received 12,932 Likes on 6,463 Posts

Originally Posted by Portfoliolio
These wires are red & black and white & black. The plug still has both pieces snapped together. There are two wires that appear to have been pulled from the back side of the plug; one is solid white and the other is solid black. Can anyone tell me if the white wire should be hooked up to the black & white pump wire, or should it go to the red & black pump wire?

Hi Portfoliolio,

You can download the 2005 Electrical Guide here:

http://www.jagrepair.com/images/Elec...al%20Guide.pdf

If you can post a photo of the wires and connectors, I'll be happy to compare the same connector on '04 XJR to see if I can help you match up the wires.

The next step will be to source a replacement air mass meter hose (the plastic accordion hose) since a recent lean code reared its ugly head and my mechanic suspects that hose, or possibly a throttle body gasket, are causing the code.
Your mechanic may be able to perform a smoke test to confirm the location of the leak so you don't waste money on parts you don't need. To view parts diagrams and look up part numbers, you can download the Jaguar Electronic Parts Catalog (EPC) and install it on your computer. See this thread:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...uctions-48194/

If you do need to order new parts, check with forum sponsors SNG Barratt, Jagbits and Welsh Enterprises, who offer discounts to forum members, and also check with my long-time suppliers Coventry West (coventrywest.com) and jaguarmerriamparts.com, the Jaguar dealer in Merriam, Kansas who sells OE Jaguar parts at discount prices.

Cheers,

Don

Last edited by Don B; 02-17-2015 at 10:18 AM.
The following users liked this post:
AD2014 (02-16-2015)
Old 02-15-2015, 06:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,006 Likes on 4,113 Posts

About as full an answer you can get there from Don, nice one Don

The following 2 users liked this post by JimC64:
AD2014 (02-16-2015), Don B (02-15-2015)
Old 02-16-2015, 03:47 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

That PDF is an invaluable guide. Thank You! On page 66/67 it shows the intercooler pump and labels the wires as "B (Black)" and "NG (Brown & Green)". This is connector CP2. Detail of the harness end of things is shown on page 51 and the connector is labelled 'CP1' with the same 'B' & 'NG' colored wires. The problem is that none of the actual wires are Brown & Green. They are solid black and solid white from the clip or plug back into the harness, and black & red and black & white from the clip (plug) forward into the pump itself. To my knowledge, this is the original pump. I'll attempt to post a pick of what I'm working with, but the weather isn't cooperating with that today.

As far as the smoke test, the mechanic ran one but did not say that it confirmed his suspicions. He stood by his "those codes are usually caused by the air mass meter hose and throttle body gaskets". He reset the check engine light and it has not come back on... although he says it probably will return soon at idle. This light came on after the filter box and the rest of the air intake was removed and then re-installed during a new radiator installation. It did not go away after five cycles of the engine running from parked to normal running temp, and then back to full cool down. I suspect that the wires could have been pulled from the intercooler clip when the radiator was removed.

Old 02-16-2015, 04:02 PM
Received 12,932 Likes on 6,463 Posts

Originally Posted by Portfoliolio
That PDF is an invaluable guide. Thank You! On page 66/67 it shows the intercooler pump and labels the wires as "B (Black)" and "NG (Brown & Green)". This is connector CP2. Detail of the harness end of things is shown on page 51 and the connector is labelled 'CP1' with the same 'B' & 'NG' colored wires. The problem is that none of the actual wires are Brown & Green. They are solid black and solid white from the clip or plug back into the harness, and black & red and black & white from the clip (plug) forward into the pump itself.
You might look at the Electrical Guides for the 2004 and 2006 model years just to see if perhaps the wiring colors in one of those guides match your car (some parts changes don't align perfectly with model year breaks).

As far as the smoke test, the mechanic ran one but did not say that it confirmed his suspicions. He stood by his "those codes are usually caused by the air mass meter hose and throttle body gaskets".
It might be worth disconnecting and then carefully refitting your air intake pipes between the air filter housing and metal air duct on top of the supercharger. It may just be that one of the hose clamps was not repositioned in exactly the same position, or one of the pipes may be squashed from an overtighened clamp, creating an air leak. You might also pull the MAFS (just two screws) and check its seal to be sure it wasn't pinched or dislocated.

Cheers,

Don