XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Interested in 07/08 & Maybe '09 XJ8 VDP

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2013, 08:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interested in 07/08 & Maybe '09 XJ8 VDP

Hi All,
I currently own a '03 BMW 745Li and a long time member of bimmerfest.com. I am looking to "upgrade" to IMO a more reliable car. I've looked at and read up on the 07/08 & possibly 09 XJ8 VDP model. I know these cars can be expensive to maintain, but with proper on time maintenance you get better results. What should I look for when looking at these model years?

I've read suspension parts.. any oil leaks/coolant leaks, etc I should expect?
I saw a '07 VDP with 55,000 for $21,500. Is this a good price?
Dealer says they have all the service records. Your feedback is greatly appreciated and I look forward to being a contributing member of this forum.

Oh and once I get my JAG I'll change my Avatar pic..

Old 10-30-2013, 04:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,456 Likes on 1,952 Posts

Hi !

These cars are reliable but can suffer from premature wear of some components that are expected to eventually wear out, but not quite so quickly ! Suspension bushes are an example. I suggest you have a look through our forum to see what troubles people get.

Assuming it has been well looked after, the car will likely be as reliable as your BMW. However, like all up-market cars, the parts prices reflect the new car price, not the depreciated price most used-car owners pay. Having said that, there is a very active after-market in the faster moving stuff with prices commonly less than half the Jaguar price.

BTW if you want a comfortable ride, try an avoid the SC cars, as they have much harder springing. Also large diameter wheels and "rubber band" tyres give a harsh ride. Best to stick to 18" if you can.

Old 10-30-2013, 08:17 PM

Thanks Fraser for your reply. I was hoping someone could chime in on if the one for sale was a good deal. Some pics of it attached.

Attached Thumbnails Interested in 07/08 & Maybe '09 XJ8 VDP-image-3638066854.jpg   Interested in 07/08 & Maybe '09 XJ8 VDP-image-750386543.jpg   Interested in 07/08 & Maybe '09 XJ8 VDP-image-3293037518.jpg   Interested in 07/08 & Maybe '09 XJ8 VDP-image-2042503686.jpg  
Old 10-31-2013, 04:43 AM
Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

it appears to be white. Not popular over here unless you are in the wedding trade.

they have positioned the camera so you can't see the edge of the driver's seat bolster. The leather here may be worn.

it looks like it may be long wheelbase, which is very roomy in the back and does not have the hard suspension. However there is not a side-on view so you can't really see.

They have positioned the camera to avoid showing the back of the front seats headrests, so you can't see if it has TVs, so presumably not. It does not have the picnic tables and the rear seats do not have adjusters.

The photos don't tell you anything about the condition of the car.

It is of a mileage where some or all of the suspension bushes will be about due for replacement, and the brake disks (rotors). The 60k mile service is a major one.

Last edited by PigletJohn; 10-31-2013 at 04:46 AM.
Old 10-31-2013, 08:53 AM

John,
Thank you.. I appreciate your feedback. I will try to make it out there this week for a closer look. Thanks for the points of position of the camera, I will be researching what's involved in the 60k service.

Old 10-31-2013, 10:09 AM
Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

Is that a VDP or just an XJ?

It looks to me to be a long wheelbase XJ with upgraded seats and bright mirror covers, rather than a VDP. It is missing some of the standard VDP interior trim details including: boxwood inlay to the wood trim, seat trays, lambs wool rugs, wrapped upper dash. Also, it's missing the rear rugs/mats - which is more material if this was a VDP and you want to keep it original, as the lambs wool rugs are quite expensive.

Old 10-31-2013, 12:10 PM

Here's the link to it on eBay. He is a few hours from me..

Jaguar XJ8 XJ XJ8L VDP | eBay

Old 10-31-2013, 12:19 PM

Thanks Rhankey! I really need to find out what options are included in a VDP.

Old 10-31-2013, 01:15 PM
Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

The pictures in the listing are definitely that of an XJ8-L, not a VDP.

A VDP will include among other things, fold down picnic trays in the rear (excluding 2004), boxwood inlays in the doors and dash wood, wood surround for the buttons up by the rear view mirror, lambs wool rugs, covered dash.

In checking pictures of a few other 2007 XJ8-L's, it looks like the bright side mirror covers, mesh grill and seats with accent piping might have been standard features in the base XJ8 that year, whereas in previous years these features were used in various combinations to distinguish XJR, VDP and Super VDP models.

In addition to the missing rear mats/rugs, it looks like the drivers side rear brake light might be inoperative too.

Last edited by rhankey; 10-31-2013 at 01:21 PM.
Old 10-31-2013, 03:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,274 Likes on 699 Posts

I think the price of $21,500 is too high.

For comparison (and I know I got a great deal), the VDP I bought was less than 4 years old with 22K miles, still had a few months full warranty and I paid about $23K.

I don't believe the guys ad stating he has had offers of $21K.

At 55K miles this one is nearing the sweet spot for costly repairs. Within two years I would expect the need to sink a few thousand into it.

Ask for a copy of the service records since he says they are available. That will help determine a fair value for the car.

With service history unverified, and assuming it passes a PPI, I would think it has a market value of about 18K.

The ad says Gainesville but his phone number is Tampa area. If the car is in Tampa I could take a look at it for you.

Old 10-31-2013, 05:22 PM
Veteran Member

OK, I see what the others say, but it is the kind of car I would buy myself, assuming it has been maintained properly and drives well. Whether the price is right I can't say being UK based, but it doesn't look unreasonable.

White is always cooler in summer even if air con is fitted. I had a white Series 3 once, without air con, (it was only an option in 1980), and it never got really hot inside. Mind you, I do live in damp and cloudy England !!

So if the car looks right and drives right, it should be considered. However you would seem to have to drive a long way to find out. The USA is a big place !

Old 11-01-2013, 08:36 AM

RHankey,
Thank you for the clarification on VDP vs. non VDP. I appreciate it. I'm more interested in the VDP, but not a total deal breaker. However, with the knowledge and insight you gents have shared I might have some leverage in negotiating a better price.

Rothwell,
I spoke with the sales guy and seems to be an honest chap..but the service records will tell it all (I'm hoping). The showroom and the car from what he says is in Gainesville, as far as the number it's his cell phone. It normally takes me about 4 hours to get to Gville to see my sister that goes to UF so I was planning a trip there this weekend. But b/c of the big rival game my sister won't be home so I'm reconsidering it. I appreciate the offer of checking the car out for me, Thank you.

You gents are awesome, I will see if the car is still available next weekend if I don't see a VDP in the meantime.

Old 11-01-2013, 04:17 PM

I read the post where a member gave instructions on how to raise or lower the car. Can you raise/lower any XJ 8 with the diagnostic software (&cable) or just certain models?

Old 11-01-2013, 04:30 PM
Veteran Member

The air suspension has to be calibrated for height using WDS, so that the ASM knows what values to expect from the height sensors. This being so, it is clearly possible to "fool the ASM" into thinking it has the right height although you have actually calibrated it to sit a bit lower.

Old 11-01-2013, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by Fraser Mitchell
The air suspension has to be calibrated for height using WDS, so that the ASM knows what values to expect from the height sensors. This being so, it is clearly possible to "fool the ASM" into thinking it has the right height although you have actually calibrated it to sit a bit lower.
Thanks Fraser. Can this be done on the XJ8-L, VDP, and R Models? Or just a particular sub type?

Old 11-01-2013, 07:41 PM
Received 4,464 Likes on 2,427 Posts

All the X350's have air suspension (unless you get a B6 Armoured one )and the ride height can be adjusted with the factory diagnostic system. But dealers generally won't lower the car for you because it's not "by the book"

Depends on your budget of course, but my advice would be to get a VDP that's fully-loaded with all options, or look for a SuperV8. There are a lot of options that the basic XJ8 missed out on.

Old 11-01-2013, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by Cambo351
All the X350's have air suspension (unless you get a B6 Armoured one )and the ride height can be adjusted with the factory diagnostic system. But dealers generally won't lower the car for you because it's not "by the book" Depends on your budget of course, but my advice would be to get a VDP that's fully-loaded with all options, or look for a SuperV8. There are a lot of options that the basic XJ8 missed out on.
Thank you so much. I have my eyes open for a fully loaded VDP. I'll post here for advice and recommendations. In the meantime, I'll test drive a few, must add that I've never driven one.

Old 11-10-2013, 07:24 PM

I test drove a 2007 XJ8 L on Fri .. I have to say I wasn't really impressed and a bit disappointed.. Are there a notable performance differences between the XJ8 & VDP models? This particular car drove cushiony, soft, no tight handling..NAV seemed dated .. Overall, Felt worn at 51,000 miles, doors sounded and felt hard when closing. You could almost hear the latch engage on each open and close.. My search continues bc I truly like these cars...

Last edited by Panthera13; 11-10-2013 at 10:34 PM.
Old 11-11-2013, 11:10 AM
Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

the long wheelbase does not have a sport setting for the suspension.

Old 11-12-2013, 02:23 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

it appears to be white. Not popular over here unless you are in the wedding trade.

I take exception to the "wedding trade" comment. I get many compliments on the Onyx White color, although it was not my first choice... or second, or third, or fourth, or fifth...

Quick Reply: Interested in 07/08 & Maybe '09 XJ8 VDP