XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Intermittent Air Suspension Fault

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2015, 10:55 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Intermittent Air Suspension Fault

I know I am posting a new thread on a topic that has probably already been hit on I'm sure, if it has please direct me to that thread. I am pretty familiar with the XJ8 just not the air suspension I've been lucky and not had many issues. Here is my problem, I am getting a "Air suspension fault" intermittently there doesn't seem to be any change in ride feel or ride height. Tends to trigger at lower speeds. It's an 04 XJ8 Base model. Any ideas?

Old 05-28-2015, 04:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,451 Likes on 1,949 Posts

Have a search of the forum under "air suspension fault". However, from your description, (fault display, and yellow light, but car drives perfectly OK), I'd say your air compressor is starting to fail. The failure is caused by the compressor piston seal wearing out. This fault is normally accompanied by Fault Code C2303 (Reservoir Plausibility Error). The ASM checks how long the compressor takes to charge the reservoir. If a threshold time is exceeded a fault is logged, and you get the message display.

So...have you ever had the compressor replaced, and what miles on the car. Of course this fault code can indicate a leak too, but is normally the compressor. If you're a DIY man you can buy a seal kit from our member 'bagpipingandy' who makes them, and supplies owners of Jaguars, Mercs, and Audis, and any other car using this Wabco compressor. If you're not a DIY man, the compressors are widely available on the internet for a few hundred GBPs (£)

Jaguar XJ6 XJ8 XJR X350 Air Suspension Compressor Pump Seal Repair Kit | eBay

The following 2 users liked this post by Fraser Mitchell:
Don B (05-28-2015), ob_pirate (06-01-2015)
Old 05-28-2015, 04:21 PM

Definitely a DIY'r... I was hoping someone would hook me up with the link to the kit, regardless of whether it needs it or not now it's only a matter of time. The compressor hasn't been replaced it has 75,000. Shouldn't a leak cause the car to sag after sitting for a while? She is maintaining proper heights even parked overnight. I'll probably go have the dealership pull the codes for me tomorrow, ideally I would like to have the program for my computer to check for the codes myself. Any ideas of where I can procure that software?

Old 05-28-2015, 04:53 PM
Received 13,087 Likes on 6,519 Posts

Originally Posted by ob_pirate
Definitely a DIY'r... I was hoping someone would hook me up with the link to the kit, regardless of whether it needs it or not now it's only a matter of time. The compressor hasn't been replaced it has 75,000. Shouldn't a leak cause the car to sag after sitting for a while? She is maintaining proper heights even parked overnight. I'll probably go have the dealership pull the codes for me tomorrow, ideally I would like to have the program for my computer to check for the codes myself. Any ideas of where I can procure that software?
Hi ob_pirate,

Welcome to the Jaguar Forums! It's great to have you with us.

For the compressor piston ring kit, visit www.bagpipingandy.com

For mountains of information about the Jaguar dealer-level software and adapter cables (pros and cons), use the Advanced Search function (under TOOLS above) to search for "dealer scan tool," "SDD" and "Mongoose."

And since we're a friendly group, please visit the New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum and post an introduction so we can learn something about you and your Jaguar and give you a proper welcome.

Cheers,

Don

The following 3 users liked this post by Don B:
AD2014 (06-20-2015), Bagpipingandy (06-10-2015), ob_pirate (06-01-2015)
Old 06-01-2015, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by Fraser Mitchell
Have a search of the forum under "air suspension fault". However, from your description, (fault display, and yellow light, but car drives perfectly OK), I'd say your air compressor is starting to fail. The failure is caused by the compressor piston seal wearing out. This fault is normally accompanied by Fault Code C2303 (Reservoir Plausibility Error). The ASM checks how long the compressor takes to charge the reservoir. If a threshold time is exceeded a fault is logged, and you get the message display.

So...have you ever had the compressor replaced, and what miles on the car. Of course this fault code can indicate a leak too, but is normally the compressor. If you're a DIY man you can buy a seal kit from our member 'bagpipingandy' who makes them, and supplies owners of Jaguars, Mercs, and Audis, and any other car using this Wabco compressor. If you're not a DIY man, the compressors are widely available on the internet for a few hundred GBPs (£)

Jaguar XJ6 XJ8 XJR X350 Air Suspension Compressor Pump Seal Repair Kit | eBay
got the i930 scanner today and ironically enough the kit from bagpippingandy too and sure enough the code that is present is the C2303, I'll throw the kit in and see how it goes from there. Thanks for your quick response.

The following 2 users liked this post by ob_pirate:
Bagpipingandy (06-10-2015), Don B (06-01-2015)
Old 06-11-2015, 02:34 PM
Received 95 Likes on 85 Posts

I"m no expert, but when I ran into this issue on my previous x350, bagpipingandy's kit did the trick. Same symptoms you're experiencing, btw.

I *think* the only way you'll see a sagging is if the air compressor cannot inflate the shocks at all or if there's a leak. In your case, I would guess the compressor is trying to inflate within a certain set time period, and it cannot and will throw the error message. But it'll keep trying until it gets it where it needs to be. The reason for the error is so that you get a warning before something more catastrophic happens.