XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

iPod with FMRDS Pro

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 03:17 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default iPod with FMRDS Pro

Greetings. I have installed the FMRDS Pro for both satellite radio and iPhone use. It charges the iPhone (which has no internet connection and is dedicated to car music only) while also providing a crawl for the track playing on the display of the audio screen. This works beter than the ACM module pre-installed on the car. However, there is a big enough difference between the iPhone's volume and the FM signal that it is connected through. There are 4 FM signals that can be used in the initial FMRDS Pro installation and they are meant to be ones that don't have actual stations playing. But in Chicago area, they do play. And they are MUCH LOUDER! So I have to remember to lower the volume manually using the knob or turn off the audio completely before stopping or even pausing the iPhone's track or risk getting blasted out of my seat.

Anyone know of a work around or a way to boost the FM RDS Pro's or the iPhone's volume (which is controlled by the FMRDS Pro while playing in the car)?

deebo13q
2008 XJ8 XL

Old 05-15-2011, 03:55 PM
Received 256 Likes on 144 Posts
Default Sound Check

While I do not have any experience with the FMRDS product, I have had similar experience with ipod-bluetooth-to-stereo. The sound check option is what I have 'tweaked' for acceptable results.

You may want to check the Sound Check settings. See more here:
iTunes: About Sound Check

You may have already checked this suggestions on the ipod, if so, please disregard.

While using bluetooth-to-stereo, if I need a volume increase or decrease, I will scroll to the menu and adjust sound check option. Sometimes this does the trick, sometimes it has no effect based on the volume of the track.

Possibly, an EQ setting on the pod may help, too...

Question: did the FMRDS product have everything needed to connect 'inline' with the antenna, or did you need to source an adapter of some sort? I use an ipod FM transmitter in the car and your solution (hardwired) sounds like a better option.

Thanks-

Old 05-16-2011, 10:22 AM
Default FMRDS Pro with iPod/iPhone

Thanks for link. I did not have Sound Check on and have reset that.
This is the link for the FMRDS USB Pro:
DICE Electronics LLC - DRIVE | LIVE | ACCESSORIZE -Support It's an automatic pdf download. It shows exacty what the components are and that's what I have plus the mount for the iPhone.
I had considered imposing an EQ that boosts volume on all of my playlists and re-synching them but the FMRDS Pro manual says on p2 to turn EQ off.
I will try the Sound Check setting but I think what I really need is another FM setting which is free of a broadcast signal.

deebo13q
XJ8 2008

Old 05-16-2011, 08:29 PM
Received 256 Likes on 144 Posts

deebo

thanks for the link...

mag

Old 05-19-2011, 10:12 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question

Hi deebo13q,
I'm considering installing an inline antenna FM adapter in my '07 XJ8 - were there any issues with the installation?
Where did you take the power from (always live or switched 12V...)?
Did you put the ipod cable in the center console or somewhere else?
How does the RDS work - are you happy with how it's integrated?

Lot's of questions :-) Thanks for any answers!

Rgds,
Mike

Originally Posted by deebo13q
Greetings. I have installed the FMRDS Pro for both satellite radio and iPhone use. It charges the iPhone (which has no internet connection and is dedicated to car music only) while also providing a crawl for the track playing on the display of the audio screen. This works beter than the ACM module pre-installed on the car. However, there is a big enough difference between the iPhone's volume and the FM signal that it is connected through. There are 4 FM signals that can be used in the initial FMRDS Pro installation and they are meant to be ones that don't have actual stations playing. But in Chicago area, they do play. And they are MUCH LOUDER! So I have to remember to lower the volume manually using the knob or turn off the audio completely before stopping or even pausing the iPhone's track or risk getting blasted out of my seat.

Anyone know of a work around or a way to boost the FM RDS Pro's or the iPhone's volume (which is controlled by the FMRDS Pro while playing in the car)?

deebo13q
2008 XJ8 XL

Old 05-19-2011, 03:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 483 Likes on 404 Posts

Any installation instructions? I'm not sure I understand exactly what it's supposed to do.

Old 05-20-2011, 11:44 AM
Default iPod with FMRDS Pro

I took my Jag to Showtime Audio in Chicago for the installation. Every area has this type of car service that is far more knowledgeable than the dealer in matters audio. These guys could have set me up to with an MP3 jack in my 98 Jag where the dealer told me it couldn't be done. So I had the casette business for years.

There were no issues with installation - one day's work. I cannot say with authority where the power comes from but I believe it is the radio's power because it's one or the other but always live. The unit has an infra red button that goes next to the top left of the nav screen and is used to switch on the system with a small remote that comes with it (yes, another remote).Press the Jag's Audio button and you get the array of FM stations. One is dedicated to FMRDS Pro (88.7 in my case). If the iPod is playing and you press Pause, it toggles to 88.7 and that's where it get loud. But if you navigate to another song or playlist, it remains in the iPod mode. I'm getting used to it, love the crawl since I don't always recall the artists names of the tracks I download. The crawl is not fast but it's readable whereas the iPod is not without taking your eyes off the road. Advancing a track or navigating to another playlist has to be done on the iPod, not the nav screen but it's close to the driver's right hand.

The iPod cable comes from the ACM, moves through the center console and emerges into the bottom of the mount next to top right side of the nav screen. So there is no visible cable. I will get a photo up next posting.

I have not subscribed to Sirius radio yet but it plays in pre-subscription mode.

deebo13q
2008 Jag XJ8 XL

The following users liked this post:
diverguy (05-22-2011)
Old 05-25-2011, 03:03 PM
Default FMRDS Pro with iPhone/iPod

Here is a view of the iPhone playing. You can see that 88.7 is the FM signal in use. The round item at the far left ( left of the climate button but cut off) is the infra red eye for the FMRDS Pro remote but I haven't yet changed it back to the ACM (as for CD playing or using the USB connection there to upgrade the firmware).

deebo13q
XJ8 XL 2008

Attached Thumbnails iPod with FMRDS Pro-iphonemount.jpg