XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

It's Official, My Car Attracts Accidents

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 12:27 PM
Received 133 Likes on 81 Posts
Default It's Official, My Car Attracts Accidents

So, as some of you may know, due to a hail storm and something falling off a truck infront of me, over the last year, I have had to respray my car and replace both front and rear bumpers (along with all their accessories and undertrays). Now, this wasn't all bad since I do my own work and get paid by my insurance to do it. So this resulted in my SV8 getting an nice Black Cherry respray and the X358 bumper conversion at no cost (actually made money) I couldn't really complain. But at some point, as much as I do enjoy doing this kind of stuff, I just want a break! Well, no luck for me.

I got to my car last week and say a note on the window (first bad sign). I figured someone had hit the car and left a note. But it was worse. The note was from a guy that said he watched someone back into my car and the as soon as the realized they hit it, tear off. Great, a hit and run. I checked the damage, not too bad. Basically a repaint of the rear bumper and quarter on the passenger side. If whoever had done it just stepped up and admitted it, I probably would have just told them don't worry, I'll fix it. I respect people who admit their mistakes. But this person didn't do that. So far, you're probably thinking sad ending to a story, but it isn't! The guy who saw it left his number and told me to call him. Upon talking to him, he said not to worry, he watched the whole thing, got the plate number and took pictures of it happening. Thank goodness for responsible people! He also said it was such a nice car it hurt him to see someone do that.

Long story short, back and forth with insurance, police, and the witness, they got the person who hit me and slapped them with full responsibility. Yay! No deductible for me! Also, fixing this will net me another $500. All in all, a good ending, but I really do want a break on fixing this, especially when nothing is a result of my wrong doings!

Old 05-16-2016, 11:56 PM
Received 102 Likes on 65 Posts

Did the guy get arrested? I hope they charge him with hit and run.

Old 05-17-2016, 12:53 AM
Received 150 Likes on 120 Posts

Wow. I know you were like "You got to be farkin kidding me!".. But good that you had a witness that actually cared enough to help.

I had this happen to me in my RRSa few months ago, & while a witness left a note, they didn't leave a number, take pics or anything like that. They did get the plate #, but it was a wash in terms of me getting anything. So I'm glad you were able to...

Old 05-17-2016, 02:35 PM
Received 133 Likes on 81 Posts

I don't think they'll get arrested or even charged since they basically fessed up once they found out someone saw them. Usually here when someone hits and runs and it's just minor damage as long as they come clean about it nothing really comes from it. Their insurance rates and license do go up a bit though, but that's about it. Now, if someone is hurt and you leave the scene, then things can get more serious.

Ya, really glad I had a witness that knew what to do! It made this really easy since when my insurance sent the letter out to the other driver to report the accident, it helps when they can say they have a witness. I think most people confess once they find they've been caught red handed.

Old 05-17-2016, 02:36 PM
Received 134 Likes on 82 Posts

Sorry to hear!