XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

J gate lever shifter stuck in Park..

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 12:53 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default J gate lever shifter stuck in Park..

XJ 350 Sovereign 2.7 diesel 2006

Just had a new gearbox, however before this was randomly getting a "Parking brake fault warning" coming up this would occur once a week at least and sometimes several times in a row but it would make no difference to the running and parking of the car.

Since a few days ago it's been up permanently. Started up the car today and the warning came up and I'm completely unable to shift the J gate lever out of Park or move the car, I've tried the following:

With the engine running, put your foot on the brake.
Release the parking brake.
Now gently and slightly pull the shifter back to R.
Do you hear a locking pin being extracted?
It did come up actually after I'd had the gearbox replaced and took it for a test drive with the mechanic with me, he said it could be a chipboard issue but nothing to worry about until the next service. Obviously given my current predicament he was wrong!

Anybody any ideas?

Old 02-23-2015, 02:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,461 Likes on 1,956 Posts

You can release the interlock by removing the cover on the transmission selector assembly. This doesn't cure the fault, just gets you running again so you can get to a repair shop.

Last edited by Don B; 02-23-2015 at 03:00 PM.
Old 02-23-2015, 03:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,559 Likes on 3,964 Posts

Could it be a failing battery? Would be #1 suspect on an S-Type.

Old 02-23-2015, 04:07 PM
Banned
Received 256 Likes on 218 Posts

Just a thought before you get any further involved: check the mechanical shift lever connection to the transmission on the right side. The fastener bolts have a habit if backing out causing this funny business.

Old 02-24-2015, 02:11 AM

Could it be a failing battery? Would be #1 suspect on an S-Type.
No it has a new battery and it's an X350.

Just a thought before you get any further involved: check the mechanical shift lever connection to the transmission on the right side. The fastener bolts have a habit if backing out causing this funny business.
Trouble is I don't have much of a mechanical hand when it comes to cars... Whereabouts do I find this? Is it under the car?

You can release the interlock by removing the cover on the transmission selector assembly. This doesn't cure the fault, just gets you running again so you can get to a repair shop.
Any idea or instruction of how I can get to it? Any photos on this forum etc.?

Trouble is I leave today and so won't be able to deal with the car and my mother needs to drive it!

Old 02-24-2015, 05:11 AM
Banned
Received 256 Likes on 218 Posts

Yes. Under the car approximately under the front passenger seat in a UK car. The check is not much of a stretch even for the most mechanically challenged of us.

Old 02-24-2015, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by tarhealcracker
Yes. Under the car approximately under the front passenger seat in a UK car. The check is not much of a stretch even for the most mechanically challenged of us.
Ok thanks I'll try it when I get back but that could be weeks now.

There is one thing to note we have noticed the fault appears on very damp or wet days, after a dry spell it appears to not occur or right itself. It's been raining heavily up in Lancashire so at the same time the problem escalated.

Thought I'd put it out there, maybe someone has some further ideas.

Old 02-24-2015, 09:16 PM
Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Acebars
XJ 350 Sovereign 2.7 diesel 2006

Just had a new gearbox, however before this was randomly getting a "Parking brake fault warning" coming up this would occur once a week at least and sometimes several times in a row but it would make no difference to the running and parking of the car.

Since a few days ago it's been up permanently. Started up the car today and the warning came up and I'm completely unable to shift the J gate lever out of Park or move the car, I've tried the following:

It did come up actually after I'd had the gearbox replaced and took it for a test drive with the mechanic with me, he said it could be a chipboard issue but nothing to worry about until the next service. Obviously given my current predicament he was wrong!

Anybody any ideas?
Mine was doing this / the warning would trigger while driving, then the next time I put it in park, it would not release. A simple cycle of the key always reset it though.

The symptoms went away once I replaced the rear brakes (pads and rotors) which were on their last legs (serious borrowed time), so you may want to check your rear pad thickness.

Lastly, as a triage fix, if your ebrake is working, and the car is left in a flat / level garage overnight or elsewhere, park the car in neutral and it will keep you going (at least IIRC the car starts in neutral). But only use the method in an emergency of course / if the ebrake is setting.

Cheers,

Jeff

Old 02-25-2015, 02:52 AM

Jeff thanks for the heads up will definitely check the rear pads.

Any idea how I can delicately remove the gear selector panel bezel? I was a bit hamfisted with the roof console, would have been nice if someone could have explained how to approach it.

i.e. how do I do this!