XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Jag Mad Dave

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2024, 06:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jag Mad Dave

Hi every one hope you are all ok .Can any one help me please ?? As i am at my wits end. A few Months ago i hit a pot hole from hell it was so bad that all the electric went of for a split second .A few days later i drove my Jaguar x358 2.7tdi to the local shops when i come out it went bang on the underneath of the passenger side .Had it brought home and my self and a mechanic friend looked at it .It was hard to start and we noticed when it did start that diesel was pouring through the exhaust and into the turbo it was funning out like a very badly leaking tap .We had the injectors tested at a hefty price and they were cleaned and were all ok ,We put them back in but it still leaked and was still hard to start ....Now here is the thing when we disconnect injectors 5&6 the leaking stops ? and the car starts on the turn of the key .Yes it runs on 4 pots .But as i say when pots 5 & 6 are connected it starts leaking again badly very badly .There is no water in the oil and the oil pressure and water pressure was fine before it broke down .I also have this car serviced every year Has any one have any idea what is wrong the car has 150000 on the clock and as i say its a 2.7tdi x358 2008 model .Thank you

Old 05-08-2024, 01:15 PM
Received 199 Likes on 179 Posts

Injectors themselves are tolerant of high Gee-forces or they'd not survive being pulled and installed with slide-hammers. Your major suspect should be the control side - any linkage, wiring, control module & connectors ... looking for displacement or damage from impact, most especially if the impact threw the mill up by enough to tear already-old motor mounts,......

.. and disturb nasty particulates as had been lying idle for years hoping for a new day-job as "jammers"... or have the controls put an injector into wide-open mode and LEAVE it there.

Meanwhile, I'd already have a full set of filters and no fewer than two new injectors inbound. "Tolerant" is not the same as "Immortal." Why mess? Best-case you'll have a pair of spares.

You'll be wanting to look at motor & transmission mounts, wheels, tire sidewalls, and suspension as diligently as Grant took Richmond, too..

At least it didn't launch you into Low-Earth Orbit, so you were probably not near Pittsburgh, PA or "Agony" County roads?

Last edited by Thermite; 05-08-2024 at 01:51 PM.
Old 05-09-2024, 05:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,944 Likes on 769 Posts

If you have access to an oscilloscope, it might pay to check that the injector drive signal waveforms and amplitudes look the same on 5 and 6 compared to those present on 1 through to 4.
I suspect that the drive signals are non-existent on those two injectors, basically you will probably find they are being slammed hard on.

The pothole encounter that glitched your electronics could have spiked the ECM and possibly damaged these two injector drivers creating a "walking wounded" situation that they possibly then fully failed a short time afterwards.
If you have bad drive signals to these two injectors (or just turned hard on), then the ECM likely needs to be sent for repair to have the output driver devices checked and replaced and also verify that any pre-driver circuitry devices have not also been damaged. Sounds bad but likely just a couple of output Fets have shorted out...slamming their associated injectors hard on.

The following users liked this post:
Thermite (05-09-2024)
Old 05-09-2024, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by h2o2steam
If you have access to an oscilloscope,
'Scopes - or meters with at least bar-graphs - are too cheap nowadays @ under US$ 40 a go, to NOT have one.

Can't "see" electricity without one, so I'm full 70 years WITH ...never fewer than two, Dumont & EICO to Fluke & Quad-trace computerized Rigol.

Understanding the math & physics can wait.

What you get "right out of the box" is in-your-face comparison, good vs bad or surprise vs expected.

Yah wuddn' try to do oral or proctological surgery without a decent set of hammers, corkscrews, and screwdrivers wudja?

Get thee a 'scope! Knowledge is power.

Part of how one avoids unwanted surgery to yer softer bits done by greedy third-parties with their rusty vise-grips whilst digging yerazz for gold.

Last edited by Thermite; 05-09-2024 at 07:33 AM.
Old 05-09-2024, 03:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,944 Likes on 769 Posts

Yes, basic low frequency scopes are pretty attainable these days, built into large screened multimeters or even basic Arudino kits.
Just need something that will handle 0-20 volt input and can trace a square wave that is likely at idle to only be about 200Hz.
Even the most basic scopes/combo meters can handle that.

Old 05-09-2024, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by h2o2steam
Yes, basic low frequency scopes are pretty attainable these days, built into large screened multimeters or even basic Arudino kits.
Just need something that will handle 0-20 volt input and can trace a square wave that is likely at idle to only be about 200Hz.
Even the most basic scopes/combo meters can handle that.
Shock modulation signal is 400 Hz.

Theres' an old 10 or 20 MHz B&K Dynascan up in the shop/annex attic with a genuine "hollow state" CRT tube can do it with bandwidth to spare.

Weighs more than the dual-trace 50 MHz Fluke Scopemeter or the quad-trace 100 MHz Rigol.

On which count, I'll prolly add one of those few-ounces-light $40-$60 hand-helds to further reduce underhood risk and hassle.

Very, very, very long time since I had anything to do with 1 & 10 GHz Forward-Propagation-Tropospheric-Scatter over-the-horizon military comms systems. Massive waste of resources, given how fast "satellites happened".

Last edited by Thermite; 05-09-2024 at 04:07 PM.