XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Jag sideswiped -- total loss values?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2023 | 10:58 AM
|
Veteran Member
Angry Jag sideswiped -- total loss values?

Was driving home on the interstate the other day when a pickup truck cut across multiple lanes to try and exit and sideswiped my car. Police report and all had been filed, pending filing with the at-fault driver's insurance. Car is damaged across entire driver's side, front fender, both doors, both bumpers, and rear quarter. The doors have minor dents and may be salvageable. The front fender would need to be replaced. Wheel is rubbing on the fender so it's not drivable as-is.

It is definitely reparable, but I'm assuming the insurance will call this a total loss due to the age and mileage. Wanted to get some feedback on what insurance will use to value these cars, because this was not your average '06 with 140k miles. I have 10 years of receipts showing maintenance better than most new XJs. Most recently including new air struts, replaced control arms, complete cooling system refresh (including OEM radiator), refinished rims, etc etc. Car has been garaged since new and was otherwise show quality. No sticky interior buttons, no failing headliner, no worn out leather.

Been advised to push back on insurance whatever their offer may be. I will do my due diligence and see what similar x350 values are if I were to buy a replacement. But even if I find a car with 30k miles or something, that may still need new struts, bushings, other age related repairs. How do you account for the value of those?

If insurance doesn't want to fix my car, are they obligated to replace with a comparable vehicle? Or is it based solely on blue book value?

Thanks,
Michael

Old 05-15-2023 | 02:46 AM

That's really sad, like "a family member lost". Doesn't look like much, but economic-wise it might be.

Insurance value depends on your insurance policy. In my country, the last few years they have not auto-depreciated the insured value, whereas before that they did to my chagrin.

I am insured for the same value as purchase price 5 years ago. More importantly, I can justify it by the usual means of comparison.

Old 05-15-2023 | 08:44 AM

Maintenance receipts and such mean absolutely nothing to the insurance companies. They have an accepted value for the car in their books, and that value is determined by the industry as a whole, not the specific company. If repairs exceed a certain percentage of that value, they will call it a total loss, and give you a check for their valued amount. That is the extent of their obligation; they don't owe you a car, they owe you what your car is worth. If the repair cost is below that threshold, whatever it is, your car gets fixed.

If they total it, you sign the title over to them and they haul it off for salvage. They'll auction it off to salvage dealers who'll disassemble it for usable parts. Alternatively, they may have a buy-back price which would be subtracted from your settlement check and you keep the car, as is. The insurance company still gets the title, which transfers back to you once you've had it inspected by the state DMV, and that title will say "SALVAGE" or "REBUILT," or whatever the term is that's used in your state.

I did that with my Miata after Hurricane Michael. The car was in the garage, but I lost part of the roof at that end of the house, and the garage ceiling fell in, as did the garage door. The car had numerous scrapes and dings and dents, and while the top was not pierced, a couple of the bows were bent. The adjuster said that without top roof damage I would have gotten three new body panels and a paint job. The cost of the new top put it over the repair worth and they totaled it. I bought it back for $1600, as there was nothing wrong with it mechanically, and I got a top frame from eBay and a brand new top from the aftermarket and fixed all that myself. I did have to take the car to the DMV for a roadworthiness inspection, which I did even before the top was repaired, and I got my "rebuilt" title within days.

A few days later, after extracting it from the garage:

And after cleanup and getting it inspected. One of the new dents is visible on the fender here. This is still the damaged top, which wouldn't fold correctly after the storm.

Your repairs are more significant than mine, and I was willing to accept the minor body damage I had because the car was still perfect, mechanically. In your situation, you should be prepared to receive a check and sign the car over, but htey might fix it; you never know until you go through the process.

Old 05-15-2023 | 11:43 AM

I just got my 09 Super V8 Portfolio back for some paint work today. Hood, trunk lid, RR door re-finish and re-spray and some other touch up work. $4500. A total repaint with no prior damage, $16000+. Though your car is in no way totaled in the mechanical sense, the body work will probably exceed the value of the car for insurance purposes. You might take the proceeds and shop for another. And there may be some companies like Hagerty who would insure your purchase for an agreed value. But, if the driver is at fault, their insurance will certainly try to get out from under the responsibility. Regular insurance companies could care less how well you've taken care of the car. Those of us who love these Jaguars get the short end of the stick in situations like this.
I hope I'm wrong and the insurance company will take care of you. But, don't be surprised if they don't.

Old 05-15-2023 | 12:08 PM
|
Veteran Member

Appreciate the responses. Talked to my agent this morning and also filed with the insured driver's company. Lesson learned on getting an agreed upon value policy if I have another car that's been restored and/or valued differently from the standard book value. Not going to be surprised that insurer will try to get out easy/cheaply.

What's a good source of comparable prices? The usual eBay, auto trader, auto tempest?

Realizing that I'm not likely going to find another '06 with 140k miles that's maintained like my car, the nearest comparable may be a '08 or '09 with fewer miles or higher spec. Is insurance just going to say that's not comparable? It has to be an '06 XJ base with the same mileage?

Old 05-15-2023 | 03:00 PM
Veteran Member

Sorry to hear about your misfortune.
Don't be afraid of a salvage title.
Especially if you plan on keeping the vehicle
They totaled my 07 VDP in a minor fender bender.
Bought it back, got it repaired, it now has a salvage title.
The body shop sent me pictures, with prices.
To show what was damaged, should i ever wish to sell.
Can't see the repairs, & came out a little ahead financially.
Good Luck

Old 05-15-2023 | 03:21 PM

So sorry to see that, looked like a very nice car. Depending on the insurance company you will most likley get a fair offer, but it still won't be much due to the high mileage. Contrary to popular belief you can argue recent maintenance as long as you have receipts, but usually shops have more success with that than individual owners.

As far as what to do with it, I'd see if you can buy it back cheap and have it repaired if you really like it that much. If it were me I'd take it as a gift that you'll get anything out of a car with that mileage and go buy a nicer low mileage car.

Old 05-16-2023 | 09:12 AM

@mhamilton, you are correct on your sources for price comparisons. Good ones. If the insurance totals the car, they won't likely "replace" it. They'll send you a check and you can buy anything you want. Find something you like within your budget.

One thing to check on any XJ you buy, 04-09, is the differential. Jaguar issued a TSB and changed the design of the diff at some point. Some cars have been repaired. Just be sure there is no noise coming from the diff. If you can, get your selected vehicle on a lift and use a mechanic's stethoscope to listen to the side (axle) bearings. Best to be sure you have a good one before you buy. The new style requires different axles and a different drive shaft. Naturally all parts are NLA. Happened to me and I was lucky enough to find a good used diff on ebay. You don't want to go through that.

I would be surprised if you could find someone who could repair your car for less than it's value. I would look for the best replacement you can find. I have an 04 and an 09 and I prefer the latter for comfort. Different front seat design more to my liking. And the prices aren't bad if you don't go for a supercharged version.

It is unfortunate that you find yourself in this position through no fault of your own. I certainly hope it works out for the best.

Last edited by luv2fly; 05-16-2023 at 09:14 AM.
Old 05-17-2023 | 09:04 AM
|
Veteran Member

Yes all good points. I think in '07 they changed the diff to the revised version from the factory, but will definitely look for all the usual issues if I pursue another x350. Have to decide if I'm up for another x350--even if I buy a replacement as new as '09 and with as few miles as possible, I'm likely looking at doing the same suspension and cooling system refurbishment as I've already done on my current car. May be time to move on, as much as I've loved the x350 these past 11 years.

Just when I think I've reached the bottom of the bad news... yesterday's call from the insurance company "we haven't insured that person in over 3 years." Not very concerned, since my insurance is exceptionally good and will go after these fools with no issue. Just the cherry on the sundae.

Decided to have a closer look... cleaned off a few spots of the tire rubber to see how bad the damage is. At first thought the doors might be savable, but now see they actually have punctures in the metal. Plus handles are scraped through. Bumper chrome pieces are shot. Mirror also has a good gouge in it. Not promising at all.

Old 05-17-2023 | 09:35 AM

Such a shame, looked like a really nice car. Hopefully you get good value for it. I was rear-ended in my 2004 Impala SS last summer and was shocked at what I got for the car. It had 287k miles so I figured they'd offer $500 or something, but after they inspected the car and saw it was immaculate, had clean fluids (yes they checked), new tires, nice interior I got $3100 for the car. I was shocked, I probably couldnt have gotten $2k if I tried to sell it before it was hit so I was happy. Bought it back for $260, took my new wheels/tires and sold the rest for $900. Unfortunately I miss that car every day and would love to have it back. My father bought it brand new and it was a perfect commuter for me.

Wish you the best of luck, hopefully him not being insured doesnt cause too much of an issue for you. I know what you mean about moving on as well, especially since no matter the mileage you'll need to go through the car and bring it up to spec.

Also - I had no idea these cars had diff issues, which years? I have an 06 and changed the fluid at 45k miles and there was a lot of metal on the magnetic fill plug, but no noises or anything. Would hate to have diff issues at some point, for now I plan on keeping the fluid changed regularly.

Old 05-17-2023 | 10:20 AM
|
Veteran Member

Thank you--this was always my favorite car. About 5 years ago I stopped daily driving it and spent some time getting all the little things perfect. My fault for not getting an agreed value policy.

Hopefully this won't be too much more of an issue. The truck that hit me is a company owned vehicle with commercial tags, so it would be a huge liability for them if they let the policy lapse for 3 years and had no insurance all that time (though in NC there's plenty of uninsured drivers because there's virtually no check on that). We'll see what they come up with, the insurance company is trying to figure out if they have a more recent policy.

Originally Posted by 87LC2
Also - I had no idea these cars had diff issues, which years? I have an 06 and changed the fluid at 45k miles and there was a lot of metal on the magnetic fill plug, but no noises or anything. Would hate to have diff issues at some point, for now I plan on keeping the fluid changed regularly.
My understanding was '04-06 used the problematic Visteon differential. Then in '07 they updated to the diff/axles/driveshaft listed in the TSB for the repair. Funny enough, my car has had a minor diff gear whine since 50k miles. It was still under warranty but I didn't realize it was covered by a TSB, could have had the dealer fix it back then. It only happens at certain speeds under no-load conditions, so not a huge issue, and has never gotten any worse. I have also changed the diff oil, old came out clean though with no metal.

Old 05-17-2023 | 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by mhamilton
Thank you--this was always my favorite car. About 5 years ago I stopped daily driving it and spent some time getting all the little things perfect. My fault for not getting an agreed value policy.

Hopefully this won't be too much more of an issue. The truck that hit me is a company owned vehicle with commercial tags, so it would be a huge liability for them if they let the policy lapse for 3 years and had no insurance all that time (though in NC there's plenty of uninsured drivers because there's virtually no check on that). We'll see what they come up with, the insurance company is trying to figure out if they have a more recent policy.

My understanding was '04-06 used the problematic Visteon differential. Then in '07 they updated to the diff/axles/driveshaft listed in the TSB for the repair. Funny enough, my car has had a minor diff gear whine since 50k miles. It was still under warranty but I didn't realize it was covered by a TSB, could have had the dealer fix it back then. It only happens at certain speeds under no-load conditions, so not a huge issue, and has never gotten any worse. I have also changed the diff oil, old came out clean though with no metal.

Being a commercial vehicle is definitely a silver lining. I think you'll get good value for the car. Luckily X350s are still pretty inexpensive so if you want to get back into one you probably can.

Thanks for the tip on the diff, had no idea that was an issue with these cars. I'm currently at 52k miles and the diff is silent (a little clunky at low speeds but I think that's the transmission and not the rear). I'll keep the fluid fresh and hope for the best.

Old 05-17-2023 | 06:57 PM
Veteran Member

Damn, I hate hearing this type of thing happening.
My X350 is my daily driver and my head is on a swivel looking for the buffoons who we unfortunately have to share the road with.
Used to be if you drove a premium car, other road users would tend to give you a wider birth (no doubt for fear of the cost of hitting you).
Nowadays, you can be driving a 4x4 with bull bars and the idiots in coke cans will cut you off with no regard for road courtesy, their own safety, yet alone think about insurance (probably won't have any).

If you do replace it with another X350, perhaps you might consider also buying back your damaged one to salvage the best from it as it sounds like you put a lot into it.
Sounds like it could actually be an asset if it could be secured back at a suitable value.

Old 05-18-2023 | 06:45 AM
Veteran Member

Or they run into you, while buth lanes are turning left.
Then continue to drive as if nothing happened.
Chase them down till they stop for a red light.
Tell you no that they just hit a bump in the road.
Then you show them the paint exchange on both cars.
How did this happen, if it was just a bump in the road ?
Insurance co then claimed, it was me, that ran into them.
My insurance totaled my car, was lucky i purchased good ins.
The full coverage did pay me enough.
To acquire a salvage title, after most of the listed parts were replaced.

Old 05-18-2023 | 07:01 AM
Default DIFF TSB

Originally Posted by mhamilton

The TSB is I have is dated 20 January 2010, but issue 3 so don't know when the earlier issues came out. It covers every pretty much every XJ and others 04-09. I don't know when the re-design became a factory install. My 09 has the old style same as my 04.

@87LC2, you might just keep an ear out and if necessary replace the axle bearings on each side. I was lucky to find a good used diff, but will put the axle bearings in the one I took out for backup.

@mhamilton, I understand your thoughts on the X350 and X358. Been having them myself. But, then what is there to buy that compares? Having one and keeping it exercised, but not using it as a daily driver, seems to me a good option. I daily drive the 04, but the 09 is a special occasion, or trip car that I drive when I get the urge. It's hard to know what to do these days.

I hope your insurance does you a good turn in any event.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
The following 2 users liked this post by luv2fly:
87LC2 (05-18-2023), FreeWifi (05-19-2023)
Old 05-18-2023 | 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by Wingrider
Or they run into you, while buth lanes are turning left.
Then continue to drive as if nothing happened.
Chase them down till they stop for a red light.
Tell you no that they just hit a bump in the road.
Then you show them the paint exchange on both cars.
How did this happen, if it was just a bump in the road ?
Insurance co then claimed, it was me, that ran into them.
My insurance totaled my car, was lucky i purchased good ins.
The full coverage did pay me enough.
To acquire a salvage title, after most of the listed parts were replaced.

Oh that's just awful. Luckily when I was hit car was stopped and the guy pushed two cars into me, no way he was getting out of that one.

Old 05-18-2023 | 09:13 AM
|
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by luv2fly
The TSB is I have is dated 20 January 2010, but issue 3 so don't know when the earlier issues came out. It covers every pretty much every XJ and others 04-09. I don't know when the re-design became a factory install. My 09 has the old style same as my 04.

I hope your insurance does you a good turn in any event.
Thanks for digging out that TSB, did not realize the Visteon diff did run the entire x350 series. I must have been confused on that. Looks like the x351 was the changeover to the newer diff/axle assembly.

Still waiting to hear back from the insurance company to officially tell me they do not insure the other vehicle.

Old 05-24-2023 | 12:50 PM
|
Veteran Member

Finally getting somewhere with insurance. My dilemma is still whether to keep and repair or send to the scrapyard.

Insurance is offering about $8k for salvage value with buyback, so I would keep the car and get a salvage title, then can use the money to fix it myself. I did go by a body shop and ask for a rough estimate. He did not make my decision any easer... said "wow this car is really nice, you should definitely fix it." It would be possible to replace front fender and front door, fix rear door and quarter, repaint entire side of car within the budget of the salvage amount.

At the end of the day I'd have my car back together, but it still has nearly 150k miles and would then have a salvage title, making it effectively worthless for any resale.

Other option is to take a slightly higher payout and let insurance take the car. Been looking at other x350s online. There are still low mileage examples out there. But most if not all have sagging air suspensions or coilover conversions. Plus no telling if the usual repairs have to be made again: thermostat, control arms, trans cooler lines, etc. So I'd be spending more money to get back in the same car, maybe upgrade to a VDP, or look at another car in the Jag family.

Old 05-24-2023 | 01:23 PM

Given those options I would let it go. No way would I put $8k into fixing a car that has 150k and a dirty title, just not worth it in my opinion. Either take more and let them keep it, or take the $8k & car and part it out or sell whole. What is the buy back number? If its cheap enough I'd keep it and sell it as-is with a salvage title. I've done that in the past and you'd be surprised how many people do not care, especially if you're near a major city where its basically the wild west as far as paperwork/title brands are concerned.

Old 05-24-2023 | 01:31 PM

Sorry to hear but 8k plus buyback is not the worst considering mileage. But not fair of course because your car is totaled and insurance companies lookout for themselves. If you don't need the car right away you can find hidden gems with a lot lower miles out there in that ballpark or even less. One thing you could do is take the 8k and buyback, find a decent car and swap the parts that are new from your wrecked car that are costly to replace such as the air springs and control arms etc. You can then part out or sell to a wrecking yard.

Quick Reply: Jag sideswiped -- total loss values?