XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Jag sideswiped -- total loss values?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2023 | 01:46 PM

If it makes you feel any better I think $8k is a great number on that car. Look at it this way - If you went to sell that car before it was wrecked it would be worth no more than $4-5k no matter what work was put into it.

I bought my 06 XJ8L with 41k miles from the original owner last September for exactly $8k. You can get a very nice lower mileage XJ for under $10k, any that are advertised higher just sit and sit, these cars are not worth much. Of course you'll have to do suspension work no matter the mileage, but I think $8k more than makes you whole on that car, insurance company did a good job for you. Best of luck.

Last edited by 87LC2; 05-24-2023 at 01:49 PM.
Old 05-24-2023 | 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by mhamilton
, or look at another car in the Jag family.
Really? This is the best one. <said in a safe environment>

The following 5 users liked this post by ChrisMills:
87LC2 (05-24-2023), Big Koshka (05-24-2023), h2o2steam (05-24-2023), mhamilton (05-26-2023), Pete M (05-24-2023)
Old 05-24-2023 | 05:59 PM

I'm afraid that it wouldn't take much damage at all to total a 2006 Jaguar with 140,000 miles on the odometer. Yes, that would be a total loss to be sure, Actually, I would definitely let the insurance company keep the car, and use the insurance settlement towards another vehicle. Sorry about the loss!

Old 05-25-2023 | 08:54 AM

Agree with the take-the-money-and-run answers. You'd never have gotten that from selling it.

As the owner of a set of Arnott coilovers, I can tell you that there's nothing wrong with a good set of coilovers. I can't speak for the "bargain" brands, but I have no complaints at all with the ride of my 2007, and the Arnott kit kills the dash CATS error that most coilover kits end up with on '07 and newer. The air system is well past its design life and is a lottery as to what you'll get if it's still air on another car. Mine was toast, although it didn't show up on the test drive I had.

It's hard to let go of something you really really like, but there really are plenty of fish in the sea!

The following users liked this post:
mhamilton (05-26-2023)
Old 05-26-2023 | 08:10 AM
|
Veteran Member

Emotional attachment is definitely getting in the way of my decision. Logically I know there's no reason to spend $5-6k to fix a car with 150k miles and end up with a salvage title. Hard for me to write off a car just because of cosmetic damage. Not like the frame is bent or there's severe mechanical damage. At the same time, knowing tomorrow the transmission could fail or a rod bearing could go, there's definitely something to be said about finding a replacement car with 100k fewer miles. Not getting around the fact that mechanical devices wear out with use.

After reviewing the insurance documents, their estimate has a repair cost of $5300, with an actual cash value of $8700. That's only 60%, so I've asked them why they are calling this a total loss. I assume they are accounting for "unexpected damages." I did stop by a local body shop, they estimate roughly $5k to fix it (independent assessment, they did not see the ins. docs). I know this shop and they do good work. So if I take the $8700 payout and salvage title, fix it myself, I'd spend probably $6-7k after I replace all the little trim bits to get it back to where it was and repaint the driver's side and bumpers.

I wish I had the space to keep my car and search for another--I only have a 2 car garage and basically no driveway. I wish I had the room to save what was best off my car. Combined with that, I see the point you've all made that rationally I should let it go for the larger payout and search for a new x350. I countered the insurance initial offer based on the $2k of recent work that I did (new air springs + new OEM radiator). If they bring up the buyout price that may make the decision right there. They would only consider the last 12 months of receipts, so I'm out of luck with all the controls arms, etc.

Last edited by mhamilton; 05-26-2023 at 08:13 AM.
Old 05-26-2023 | 08:23 AM

Totally understand the emotion involved, but do you really want a car that's been half painted and a worthless piece of paper for a title and just be even at best? The car will never be the same, guaranteed. I prefer cars to be totaled when they are hit, I don't even want a panel painted but that's just me.

As for their estimate, I believe it only needs to be 40% repair to value for it to be totaled, 50% at most so you're way over.

Sorry you have to deal with this. I'd trade places with you if I could. Would love for mine to get hit and get a nice payout.

Old 05-26-2023 | 10:46 PM

I've often wondered What Would I Do if my car She prangs. I have also just spent several grand on new suspension (not the air bit).

I couldn't cope with a "1/2 repainted car" no matter how good the job apparently is. It's a classic (if only to me).

I would take the opportunity to find a "better one" (than my V6 lol), VDP, Super V8, rear seat trays I love those...of course any replacement car is a mechanical risk. A guaranteed risk in suspension bushes/air suspension unless it has already been done due to age not mileage.

I'm emotionally attached to Jaguar and the X350/X358, not my specific example.
Did I mention I have 11 other Jags? All trouble-free 1/18 scale

Last edited by ChrisMills; 05-26-2023 at 11:05 PM.
Old 05-27-2023 | 10:32 PM
Default Happened to me, too.

My '05 LWB was ruined in a flood a year ago and my State Farm adjuster initially offered 11 grand for it, but then backtracked when he discovered the high mileage, similar to yours, and I got $9500. Mine had BRAND NEW front suspension, all parts including replacement coilovers, and recent total cooling system replacement, and they were judged "normal maintenance, especially considering the over 100k mileage. Since the offer was about equal to my 3 year investment, I took the money and ran. I added some cash and upgraded to a 3 year newer VDP with half the mileage and haven't regretted it for a minute. The 08 VDP was my holy grail, and the flood gave me the chance. I'd buy another '08 if I had to, but nothing newer. Stainless steel and ebony just doesn't do it for me.

Old 05-30-2023 | 05:52 AM
Veteran Member

Body shop took pictures of the damage done to the car.
With a list & prices for the parts, plus the labor.
The car was considered worth fixing to me.
A fender bender to total the car just seemed outragious!!!
The salvage title makes no differance to me.
Don't plan on selling it, the repairs are not noticable.
With the paper work & pictures.
Any potential buyer can see what was fixed.
Don't be put off fixing the car, just because of a salvage title, IMHO

Last edited by Wingrider; 05-30-2023 at 05:54 AM.
Old 05-31-2023 | 11:11 AM
|
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Wingrider
Don't be put off fixing the car, just because of a salvage title, IMHO
Yeah--it's still an option on the table. Submitted receipts to the insurance last week, waiting for their re-evaluation. I was not in the market for another car, so resale value of my car isn't top priority. Even if I take the payout, I'm still looking at spending another $5k-10k to buy and fix up a lower mileage XJ. That's not money I was looking to spend.

Been looking a bit at possible replacement XJs, of course even the low mileages ones have sagging headliners and lots of things I already fixed on my own car. It's a tough call, pros and cons of both. If I decide to take a payout, I'm pretty well decided on buying it back even if I don't fix it. Too many good parts to let them haul away to the junkyard (radiator, hoses, thermostat and air struts have less than 4k miles on them, tires have 7k, control arms less than 20k). If I get another x350 I can swap over whatever is better, as suggested earlier by other posters.

The following 2 users liked this post by mhamilton:
87LC2 (05-31-2023), h2o2steam (05-31-2023)
Old 05-31-2023 | 11:17 AM

Yes, definitely buy it back if you do take the payout. Even after removing your good parts the car will be worth more than you'll pay the insurance company for it. They want you to buy it back so they don't have to deal with it.

Old 09-29-2023 | 01:55 PM
|
Veteran Member

Finally have an update to share on this. I argued with the insurance and got them up on the payout. Enough that I could take half the money they paid me and fix the car. Back in May I had a friend help me polish off the tire marks, was shocked that the original paint held up so well. I replaced the side marker lights and the car almost looked passable. No mechanical damage whatsoever. I went ahead and found a replacement fender, and my body shop found a used driver's door.

Worked out a good deal with the body shop that I like and trust--they took 1.5 months and worked on it on the side. Just got it back 2 weeks ago. Driver's side was repainted completely, and had them repair and paint both bumpers. I wanted the front license plate holes filled in. After that I was able to source NOS bumper chrome from Jaguar. And a few other items "while I was in there" (headlamp washer assembly, etc).

The mirror cover isn't done, at the shop getting finished now.

I can say the paint is not a 100% perfect match--in certain lights you can see there is a difference between the fender and hood. But otherwise you can't tell any difference between the trunk and bumpers, or right side of the car. Maybe the hood faded. Either way, good enough for the price I paid. It would never be concourse perfect without repainting the whole car... no telling what you'd get into if you tried to blend into the hood.

Now insured with Hagerty for an agreed value, very pleased that I have full coverage even with the salvage title.

Photo after cleaning and polishing the damaged paint. Really shocked it was hardly scratched.

wfooshee (09-30-2023)
Old 09-29-2023 | 02:05 PM

Glad you got it fixed, shame they couldn't match the paint. I'm surprised you could get an agreed value policy with a salvage/rebuilt title, good to know.

Old 09-30-2023 | 08:49 AM
|
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by 87LC2
Glad you got it fixed, shame they couldn't match the paint. I'm surprised you could get an agreed value policy with a salvage/rebuilt title, good to know.
I'm being picky--unless someone knew to look for the difference they wouldn't see it. The odd thing is when you look at the pic of the passenger side above, the fender looks different than the hood as well. That fender is OE. Maybe the hood has faded, or maybe it's just a trick of this color and the metallic. The parking sensors were not repainted, and they do not show any difference to the new bumper paint... and the deck lid matches very well.

Yep--was very glad that Hagerty would insure the car with a salvage title. Got an identical policy to what I had with full coverage before the accident, plus I now have an agreed value. When I asked initially they said they could insure a salvage title, but would need to see photos of the repair, etc. When I opened the policy, they said "no problem, all set."

87LC2 (09-30-2023)
Old 09-30-2023 | 10:12 AM
Default Repaired

Good news. Glad you got your baby back. She looks fine.

[/QUOTE]

mhamilton (10-02-2023)