XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Jaguar ACM Audio Connectivity module ipod interface installation photos

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 06:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,642 Likes on 1,068 Posts

Gotta get your post-count up to 10, I think, and a few other wickets to achieve full-access. You've been around nearly a year, so hopefully you've already introduced yourself on the new-members section. Just have another look at the forum guidelines and see what all is required for a mod to grant you full access and then get crackin'! I'm pretty sure about the 10 posts, part...so comment a few more times here and there.

The following users liked this post:
Cadillac (10-02-2011)
Old 10-01-2011, 09:59 PM
Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

i am pretty sure details on how to upgrade the firmware are in the original pdf, if not look early on in this post.
To get full access just try introducing yourself in the new members forum, the administrators are usually pretty good about giving you access once you say hello!

Cadillac (10-02-2011)
Old 11-20-2011, 10:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,375 Likes on 1,488 Posts
Default Update

As of now, and hope I am not jinxing myself, I have had no issues other than occasional bluetooth glitches. I have been using the iPhone exclusively with Pandora and Rhapsody, no longer using a hard drive.

Old 01-06-2012, 12:21 AM
Veteran Member

Well, sadly, it appears the ACM has died. For the last couple of weeks it has become finicky with Pandora and the iPhone dock stopped displaying "Jaguar", then it stopped pausing when I would turn off the system (Pandora would continue to play on the phone) and then today, all day, no connection whatsoever, not even power for charging.

Not certain if I am going to replace it. I still wonder if it contributed to the number of electronic glitches I have been experiencing for a while.

Old 01-10-2012, 08:35 AM
Veteran Member

Well, the glitches continue and the ACM remains non-functional. Any suggestions for diagnosis?

Old 01-10-2012, 11:44 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You could try updating your firmware to the latest Dension software that isn't jaguar specific. I did this on mine because the connection would drop out and I haven't had any problems since. You also get added functionality in that you're able to control everything straight from your iPod/iPhone without having to use only the presets from the head-unit.

Here is the link for the latest firmware from Dension (you want the D2B one)

Downloads | Firmware | User Guides | Install Guides | Configuration files

Good luck!

Mathew

Old 01-10-2012, 12:18 PM
Veteran Member

Thank you but I have the latest firmware and considering the ACM is dead, there is no way I know of to make any additional changes...

Old 01-11-2012, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by jahummer
Thank you but I have the latest firmware and considering the ACM is dead, there is no way I know of to make any additional changes...
Hi Jahummer

When the ACM is installed, the original fiber optic network is disconnected and the fiber optic for the ACM, connected in with it. The earlier versions of ACM had issues with the fiber optics (since they made a revision later in the new kits, and a kit to upgrade older kits) and caused lcok ups of the system, eg the nav. It would not surprise me that your glitches are being caused by the fiber optic "additions" of the ACM.

I would totally remove the ACM, or at least the fiber optic additions, and plug everything back in as original. I think all the connections for the fiber optic are made behind the radio unit, maybe someone who has done the install recently can chime in on that.

I am quite happy with my ACM which was the latest kit, and have only had to power cycle it once, but that may have been due to trying to access a USB drive with unusual file structure.

Good Luck

Old 01-11-2012, 03:22 PM
Veteran Member

Thank you for the reply. There is no longer any power coming from it, any idea why?

The dealer has the update kit for $115, should I give it a try?

Old 01-12-2012, 02:17 PM

A power issue will not be caused by the fiber optics. The ACM has a separate power harness that connects into the wiring loom on the back of the radio.

See the link below for photos I found on the web of the various parts of the ACM

Jaguar ACM pictures by StBuffyuk - Photobucket

You could check you have power on the harness where it connects to the ACM but It sounds to me that your ACM unit itself has died, since you started having intermittent problems before it totally stopped working. This is probably unrelated to the electrical glitches you have been having which I am guessing are more likely due to the fiber optic.

So why did the ACM die? My dealer said there was an issue with it originally being placed along the transmission tunnel (I think) due to heat/vibration or something, and they had changed their mounting spot on later installs. I have placed mine behind the glovebox.

If I was you I would buy, and install with all harnesses the latest ACM full kit, that way you get new fiber and harnesses and a new unit. You can then apply the firmware update to enhance the functionality...after making sure it works for a couple of weeks just in case you need to return it etc. I say this because whether you are doing the install itself, which takes a few hours, or paying the dealer, which is expensive, then the extra cost for the full kit is worth it over just the fiber optic upgrade (since your ACM is obviously not working). If you have time on your hands and want to do the trouble shooting yourself then you could do it in stages, but for me I'd just want to get it fixed.

I am no expert on the ACM and these are just my thoughts and recommendations of what I would do....just so you know!

jahummer (01-12-2012)
Old 01-12-2012, 04:48 PM
Banned
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Would you get a Jag ACM or the Gateway 500 or are they the same? You will not see a listing of the Gateway for the Jag although the d2b model allegedly works.

Old 01-13-2012, 10:25 AM
Veteran Member

Ok, disassembled the console and found the ACM under the carpet on the tranny wall. Anyhow removed everything and interestingly enough the head unit boots must fast and so far no glitches so I suspect that may have been my issue.

FOr kicks, I reinstalled the ACM and what do you know? It works! Looking at the optical cables I noted a date sticker from mid 2007, almost 2 years before I had the Jag dealer install it so I suspect these are the old cables.

The parts department can get the kit for $115 but advised that all of their customers have had the ACMs removed due to problems...

So, is it worth it? And will the updated cables guarantee I will have no more issues?

Old 01-13-2012, 11:16 AM

MK 82. The actual module might be the same but all the cables will be different, so get the jaguar ACM WITH THE LATEST FIBER OPTIC CABLES.

Jahummer....well at least there is progress!
Two issues I know of with original ACMs and install
1. Original fiber optic cable set (like yours) must have had issues since they made an update kit
2. Installation along tranny wall appears to have caused alot of problems. From my install and what I was told by the local dealer was that with later kits and installing the unit behind the glovebox pretty guaranteed the ACMs to work.

So is it worth it to update the cables. If you really want to keep the ACM I would say yes, and at the same time see if you can move the position of the ACM away from the tranny wall. I presume you alread have everything taken apart so half of the hard stuff is done! However if you can wait a little , I would firstly remove all the cables from the ACM install and plug everything back in as original, drive for a couple of weeks and see if you still have electronic glitches. Then you at least have an idea on whether the acm (or the fiber optic adaptors/cables) was causing the glitches.

Old 01-13-2012, 01:20 PM
Banned
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Where is the best place to get an ACM?

Old 01-13-2012, 01:44 PM

Whereever you can get one, the dealers no longer stock them

The pdf in the first post tells you where I got mine and what versions to get.

Other members have said where they have got theirs throughout the thread

Old 01-13-2012, 02:35 PM
Veteran Member

Well, I relocated the entire install. The ACM fits fine attached to the rear of the touch screen and I coiled the optical cables carefully so the are no sharp bends. The USB & iPod dock were placed in the armrest but I moved them to the ash tray. Iphone fits with the door closed and there's room for a hard drive plus the cables are no longer stretched.

Everything seems to be working so far but it is too early to say if the problem is resolved. IF not, will pull it and leave it out for a while to see what happens.

Two things I have noted is the iphone still does not say Jaguar under the dock info but music does pause now when I turn it off like it always had until recently. Also I get a new brief message when I first start the car HANDSET IN USE but it goes away and says the bluetooth is connected.

Here are some pics.

Attached Thumbnails Jaguar ACM Audio Connectivity module ipod interface installation photos-photo-29.jpg   Jaguar ACM Audio Connectivity module ipod interface installation photos-photo-30.jpg   Jaguar ACM Audio Connectivity module ipod interface installation photos-photo-31.jpg  
Old 01-17-2012, 12:50 PM

Hopefully moving the unit away from the tranny wall will cure your issues.

I presume you had tried resetting the ACM by pulling the radio fuse when it was not working, prior to doing the re-install!

I am just curious as to why the ACM would start working again. Maybe it just needed a full power down for a while prior to reboot. I guess you will find out sonner or later if it is working or not.

Good Luck, hope it works.

Old 06-02-2012, 11:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is disheartening for my 07 xk.... seems i will have to stick to radio... or get a new HU all together and lose that factory look. I cant find a place to even get the ACM. lesigh

Old 06-03-2012, 07:12 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, sort of like me and bluetooth.

Old 06-11-2012, 04:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Under what circumstances then does the radio head unit have to be "flashed" or had new software installed to recognize the ACM? It seems that some head units recognize the ACM immediately but I've also read that sometimes the dealership must update the head unit for the ACM to be recognized.

Do I understand this correctly that the firmware discussed previously from Dension is for the ACM itself and not the radio head unit?

The discussion is good but I am always trying to understand how interchangeable experiences are among years (e.g. 2004 v 2008) and models (e.g. XJ v S type). So is someone's experience with the ACM with their 2008 S type relevant to me with a 2004 XJR. I get the feeling the answer is yes but haven't seen this confirmed yet.

I'm most likely going to buy the C2C40513 ACM soon and install myself.

Quick Reply: Jaguar ACM Audio Connectivity module ipod interface installation photos