XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Jaguar ACM Audio Connectivity module ipod interface installation photos

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 11:50 AM
Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

Most of the questions asked are in the initial downloadable pdf. Its been a while since I looked closely at this because my unit has been working( yeaahh!), but have kept an eye on the thread.
If you have not got permission to download the file because of lack of posts etc, not introducing yourself to the community (which sometimes gives you instant access!!!) below are a couple of important links. As the ACMs become scarcer, the later models may not be available. However, the dension link bellow shows some of the versions and what was done to them. Firmware updates are easy, and the update to the latest Dension (not Jaguar) works and works well. I have not seen anyone having issues with it. Hence you could look for a kit that has the fiber optic upgrade, even if its not the latest Jaguar firmware, or even an older kit with maybe the separate fiber optic upgrade kit.

Good Luck

http://www.jimrothe.com/jaguar/acm-bluetooth/acm.html

http://www.dension.com/jaguar/?agree=0&sc=0

Old 06-19-2013, 11:57 AM

Xeno

Re: "Denison says the C2C 40513 is not compatible with the XJ, but only with S and X-type. Did you use it in an XJ?"

This is the kit I used. The only apparent difference from what I remember was the lack of an extension cable to put the ipod adaptor in the arm rest. I put mine in the glove box anyway.

Everything is in the first post pdf.

The following users liked this post:
Xeno (03-09-2014)
Old 06-19-2013, 08:30 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default What do I do with the CD Changer

Ok, I gather this take's the place of the CD Changer on the D2B ring? So do I unplug that from the ring in the trunk...? Sorry for the confusion I am just trying to wrap my head around everything I am going to need to do to make this possible.

Thanks

Old 06-20-2013, 06:22 AM
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by H20boy
I took a few minutes to search around, and this dealer is where I bought my unit about 6 months ago...worth a shot to give them a call and ask their price. Perhaps they didn't raise their prices as quickly as the others across the US?
I tried them in March '13 and they were out and couldn't get any more, so they told me. Just sayin' what they told me.

Old 06-20-2013, 08:36 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

Brian, this module gets placed inline of the CD-changer just behind the head unit. There is a separate box that has a switch on it that allows you to select either the CD-changer as the source, or one of the three (3) inputs into the module (USB, RCA, or Ipod). The intrface still looks like the CD changer in all respects, except the discs themselves and the operations of the << and >> are different.

I'm sorry they're out Rob. I checked my receipts, and I bought mine in Oct 2012 for $340.

I used Jaguar of Novi, Michigan's online database, and found their ACM price to be $499. Give it a shot?

Attached Thumbnails Jaguar ACM Audio Connectivity module ipod interface installation photos-jaguar-novi-acm.jpg  
Old 06-20-2013, 10:21 AM
Received 97 Likes on 71 Posts

In May of this year I saw a lot of them online and ordered one from Gaudin Jaguar in Las Vegas, NV in the $500.00 range but I quickly received an e-mail and refund stating the part was no longer available. I finally tracked a parts person down at Jaguar of Livermore (CA) and they confirmed there were 3 in stock in Atlanta but the price was much higher, $716.93. This price was confirmed by Parkplace in Dallas, TX.

Also note there was a post earlier about a limitation of 100 songs per playlist. I did not see if anybody clarified this but in actuality there is no physical limitation to the playlist itself (other than your Apple device's capacity), the song number on the Jaguar display will just roll over to 01.

Old 06-20-2013, 03:50 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

Originally Posted by MarcB
Also note there was a post earlier about a limitation of 100 songs per playlist. I did not see if anybody clarified this but in actuality there is no physical limitation to the playlist itself (other than your Apple device's capacity), the song number on the Jaguar display will just roll over to 01.
I didn't know this, thanks! I had originally prepared my folders (i.e. playlists) to hold less than 100 songs, for fear of implosion if I did not comply)

Old 07-10-2013, 11:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can I contact you in private messaging

Hi Seamagineer,

I live in OC and any chance of getting in touch with you to sort out my needs re Audio issues. Tks

Old 02-03-2014, 05:30 PM
Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

I just bought a used ACM on ebay for $400... after waiting 8 months for one to go on sale there.

Some things the pictures and install manual leave unclear:

Where does the big ACM box go (is it behind the firewall?)
How do you get it there?
How do you thread the cables behind the glove box and behind the head unit and through to the rear console?
Where does one get one of those weird hexagonal screwdrivers, and what size do I need?

Last edited by Xeno; 02-03-2014 at 05:32 PM.
Old 02-03-2014, 05:41 PM

This post on jaguarforums.co.uk also has photos, and a lot of info up front.

It says the rear console has RCA inputs, seen by the CD changer as CD 6! In which case you don't need the ACM at all, right? I could just connect an MP3 player directly to those RCA inputs.

Old 02-04-2014, 08:37 AM
Received 125 Likes on 65 Posts

[QUOTE=H20boy;757527]I didn't know this, thanks! I had originally prepared my folders (i.e. playlists) to hold less than 100 songs, for fear of implosion if I did not comply) QUOTE]

My car has no issue with playlists with more than 99 tracks, but it only plays the first 99 and then starts over - not just the numbering, but the actual songs. If I have it in random mode it picks 99 tracks at random.

Old 03-09-2014, 05:21 PM

I finally got my ACM, used, off ebay, $400. Some more questions:

Why did you remove the rear control panel? The Jaguar instructions indicate that no wires go back there unless you install the Ipod extension cable, which you did not.

When you drilled the hole in the glovebox, did you have to remove the glovebox before drilling? If so, how? If not, how did you avoid cutting important things behind it? My glovebox has a shelf, and a light right about where you drilled the hole, and probably wires for the light.

"Install the aux input and usb for the ACM on the glovebox ceiling in a position that allows easy route of the cable through the hole you have just drilled." -- How did you install them on the glovebox ceiling? Did you need to drill holes in the glovebox ceiling? How? There's no room to get a drill in there.

"On the newest ACM listed only for the S type and X type, an extension cable is missing that allows you to route the ipod connector under the armrest in the centre console." -- Does anybody know what this connector is called? It doesn't appear to be any standard interface that I recognize.

"The ACM unit itself goes up behind the glovebox." I can't tell from the picture what's where. The glovebox doesn't seem to be in that picture at all. Where did the ACM unit go?

The installation appears to require running cables from under the glovebox, behind the dash, to the rear of the stereo head unit. How do you get those cables back there?

Old 03-10-2014, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by Xeno
...Why did you remove the rear control panel? The Jaguar instructions indicate that no wires go back there unless you install the Ipod extension cable, which you did not.
You need to remove the rear control panel to remove the console. The console needs to be removed to gain access to the head unit so you can remove it and make the connections at the back of it.

...When you drilled the hole in the glovebox, did you have to remove the glovebox before drilling? If so, how? If not, how did you avoid cutting important things behind it? My glovebox has a shelf, and a light right about where you drilled the hole, and probably wires for the light.
Yes, the glove box must be removed to properly route the cables.

..."Install the aux input and usb for the ACM on the glovebox ceiling in a position that allows easy route of the cable through the hole you have just drilled." -- How did you install them on the glovebox ceiling? Did you need to drill holes in the glovebox ceiling? How? There's no room to get a drill in there.
See #2

..."On the newest ACM listed only for the S type and X type, an extension cable is missing that allows you to route the ipod connector under the armrest in the centre console." -- Does anybody know what this connector is called? It doesn't appear to be any standard interface that I recognize.
I believe the extension cable in question is proprietary, which is why most XJ owners ran their cables through the glove box

..."The ACM unit itself goes up behind the glovebox." I can't tell from the picture what's where. The glovebox doesn't seem to be in that picture at all. Where did the ACM unit go?

My ACM unit is placed behind the glovebox

...The installation appears to require running cables from under the glovebox, behind the dash, to the rear of the stereo head unit. How do you get those cables back there?

See #1&2 - Removal of console and glovebox is required to properly route the cables.

This in not a simple plug and play install, if you are comfortable with disassembling and reassembling interior components then it will be fairly straightforward. If not just take your time and don't forget to disconnect your battery, a requirement for any project on our cars that has anything to do with electrical connectors or wiring.

The following users liked this post:
Xeno (03-15-2014)
Old 03-10-2014, 12:25 PM

It says the rear console has RCA inputs, seen by the CD changer as CD 6! In which case you don't need the ACM at all, right? I could just connect an MP3 player directly to those RCA inputs.

Thanks MarcB for replying to Xeno's installation questions, its been too long since I did it to remember anything.

I would like to add I have had no issues at all with my ACM since installation.

Xeno, or anyone, is it possible to be able to plug directly into the RCA inputs on the back of the console. Since ACMs are getting more scarce maybe it could be come a good (and inexpensive) solution. I have an incling it is not possible because I vaguely remember everything is hooked up through the fiber network!

Last edited by seamagineer; 03-10-2014 at 12:26 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-10-2014, 06:43 PM
Received 125 Likes on 65 Posts

I followed Seamagineers pdf when I did mine. There are some photo's here: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...install-68836/

Old 03-15-2014, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by seamagineer
Xeno, or anyone, is it possible to be able to plug directly into the RCA inputs on the back of the console. Since ACMs are getting more scarce maybe it could be come a good (and inexpensive) solution. I have an incling it is not possible because I vaguely remember everything is hooked up through the fiber network!
I checked, & in my car, it isn't possible because there are no such RCA inputs. Maybe a Vanden Plas would have them.

Old 03-16-2014, 08:13 AM
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks MarcB for replying to Xeno's installation questions, its been too long since I did it to remember anything.

I would like to add I have had no issues at all with my ACM since installation.

I just checked my '04 VDP and there are no RCA jacks on the rear CD changer (nor the DVD nav unit), at least not on the front face which is accessible. That should be the situation for all XJ's up through '09, no idea for model years after that.

Just FYI - my used VDP had the Moto V2 install kit in it when I bought it. This connected to the rear CD changer as I recall, so when I installed my ACM, I needed to remove that wiring.

You also need to be sure the install pics you are looking at are for your model. Many of them are for the X or S types. So the specific locations for mounting screws and clips might be a little different. I don't think that the instructions in the ACM kit from Jag shows the XJ as it wasn't approved for that model, although it works (or maybe was originally approved, then that was rescinded due to some problems with the fiber cabling).

Old 03-16-2014, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by Rob2004XJ8VandenPlas
I just checked my '04 VDP and there are no RCA jacks on the rear CD changer (nor the DVD nav unit), at least not on the front face which is accessible. That should be the situation for all XJ's up through '09, no idea for model years after that.
Xeno, or anyone, is it possible to be able to plug directly into the RCA inputs on the back of the console.

Sorry, what it says is, "#4 If you have an X350 with rear entertainment, there is an aux input in the rear console with RCA’s that can be set for audio through the whole car." You have to have the rear entertainment option.

Originally Posted by Rob2004XJ8VandenPlas
You also need to be sure the install pics you are looking at are for your model. Many of them are for the X or S types. So the specific locations for mounting screws and clips might be a little different. I don't think that the instructions in the ACM kit from Jag shows the XJ as it wasn't approved for that model, although it works (or maybe was originally approved, then that was rescinded due to some problems with the fiber cabling).
I have Jaguar install instructions for the XJ, but I didn't get them from Jaguar--they aren't on Jaguar's website. I downloaded it from www.ownerinfo.jaguar.com .

Old 03-16-2014, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by MarcB
2. Yes, the glove box must be removed to properly route the cables.
Okay, but how do you get it back in? I've scratched the plastic cover in my footwell something awful and still haven't gotten it back in. That steel bracket on the bottom left of the glovebox is far too big for me to get it under the plastic cover. I don't think it's even possible without a pry bar to bend the plastic out of the way.

There's a pair of cylindrical connectors holding the plastic cover to the car, by that lower left area for the glovebox, but it's a weird connector, with no screws nor any apparent way to disconnect it.

Old 03-16-2014, 07:03 PM

The assembly should tilt in bottom first, that is align the studs and bolt holes before tilting the top part into the dash. You can put the nuts on loosely to hold it in place but note, the bulge for the light on the left side is the trickiest thing to get into place, once you have that past the dash facia you should be good.

Quick Reply: Jaguar ACM Audio Connectivity module ipod interface installation photos