XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Jaguar depreciation - why so much?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 02:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,450 Likes on 1,948 Posts

Reading this last post, I had a quick look on the UK Autotrader website for the aluminium Audi A8. There was a 2008 3l diesel with 52 k miles at a car supermarket about 15 miles from me for just under £20k. Also several 2005-6 on around £11-13K with average miles. Now these cars are around £55-65 when new, so depreciation is not just a Jaguar thing.

Old 09-07-2011, 03:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

My theory is that you have to bring the price down to move the cars. Most folks that can spend $60 to 70k for a used car will go ahead and spend $80k on a new one. At those levels, what's another $10k? So you have to bring it down to the next tier customer who may throw $30 or $40k on a car or even a toy, but not be willing to spend over that.

The lower entry price to ownership then helps to justify the higher maintenance cost later. Thinking that sure it's expensive to own but I got into an $80 car fairly cheap.

Old 09-08-2011, 12:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 166 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by oldmots
Jagaur is not the only car that has low resale, all the European luxury makes take a huge hit, and Jaguar is in the middle of the pack. They all have the reputation of expensive repairs, dropping the used resale value. I have had some of these cars and my experience is that Audi has the biggest drop and requires the most repairs at the highest prices. Its amazingto me but thecar I have experiecne with that holds its value is a Jeep Wrangler. A couple years ago I bought an 04 Wrangler and an Audi A6 at the same time with the same miles and condition....the Audi had an original sticker of $46K and the Jeep had a sticker of $20K. I paid $12K for both of them!
Oh great, I have one of each; a Jaguar and an Audi. Actually, I count on the depreciation factor since I can own a fairly nice car for a reasonable price. Oddly enough, my 2005 S-Type is priced about where a 2007 Hyundai Sonata V6 is.

Old 09-10-2011, 09:30 AM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm counting on the depreciation effect to still be there when I buy my next Jag

Old 09-11-2011, 08:25 PM
Received 87 Likes on 71 Posts

If you look on FleaBay, lots of Jaguars go to the end of the auction without meeting reserve or perhaps even attracting any bids whatsoever. Dealers especially have cars which get listed and relisted, and not selling. You would think they would get the hint!

Old 09-12-2011, 08:34 AM
Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Boomer from Boston
If you look on FleaBay, lots of Jaguars go to the end of the auction without meeting reserve or perhaps even attracting any bids whatsoever. Dealers especially have cars which get listed and relisted, and not selling. You would think they would get the hint!
I'm trolling ebay every day for Jags (one of my remaining obsessions). That also shows how low demand for these cars truly is. It doesn't cease to amaze me.

But then there are other dealers who seem to move the inventory above current market value, like Texas Cars Direct. So it seems to be an uneven market somehow.

Old 09-12-2011, 09:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,357 Likes on 1,477 Posts

Originally Posted by SuperTrav
I'm trolling ebay every day for Jags (one of my remaining obsessions). That also shows how low demand for these cars truly is. It doesn't cease to amaze me.

But then there are other dealers who seem to move the inventory above current market value, like Texas Cars Direct. So it seems to be an uneven market somehow.

When speaking with dealers around here, I have been told that most deal happen off of ebay. Ebay to them is more of a marketing/listing tool like Autotrader.

Some sellers, like Texas Cars, have been selling on ebay for very long time and have a solid reputation for the client base that buys cars online.

Old 09-13-2011, 01:38 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default As others have said

Originally Posted by Boomer from Boston
Ebay for a dealer is a low price ad.
The true price on these cars , as we know , can be super low, which is maybe what it should be when they go POP, just throw it away and get another.

Old 10-04-2021, 02:49 PM
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Default get out what I paid for it - at least

All this is like vulture speak - I will wait for one to die so I can get it for nothing and let everyone know I got a good deal.

A 2007 XKR SUPER CHARGED with 46,350 miles should not be $12,000 USD.
Albeit there was a no maintenance for a year - also not driven for that same year and a history of sheet metal damage to driver door and fender. Repaired long ago and can barely tell anything happened to it.
interior is excellent everything works yet no one wants it - they ask why I am selling it - well I already have a 550 hp project car and if it sells then yes I would keep this Jaguar.

Its quiet / ice cold A/C + the bonus passenger foot water drip torture device LOL. Fixing that.
great ride tight steering and suspension etc etc.

super nice sound system in it - I would like to upgrade the head unit to something with a reverse camera or something.
But how about it still being worth $30k or even $25k all anyone says is hey I got a bag of dimes for it dur huhr. Also it seems most that see it like the body and design, and are not much for what makes it go. The lack of jaguar service is an issue, out of warranty / not made anymore, and parts, outside of wearable parts, are hard to find. Just figured they would hold some resale Value. I digress.

Last edited by Zippymac; 10-04-2021 at 03:01 PM.
Old 10-04-2021, 07:24 PM
Received 273 Likes on 211 Posts

Apart from XK vs XJ (this forum),
Thread is 2011 when depreciation would still have been substantial.
I reckon my 2008 XJ hasn't depreciated in last 3 years. Already bottom of the heap. Did I really say that? Absolute value for money. (that's better)

Old 10-04-2021, 11:32 PM
Received 54 Likes on 32 Posts

Maybe I am in the minority but I bought my Jag with no regard whatsoever as to what the resale value might be. I bought it because I just wanted one, and to enjoy the limousine qualities and ride of the car. Every time I get into it I am so thankful that I bought it. I had done my research on problems with the X350’s, and there does seem to be quite a few, (but don’t all cars at over 15 years old have issues) however I factored in that there would be ongoing costs apart from the usual servicing. I have had it less than a year so time will tell if my philosophy is good or not.

Bob

Old 10-05-2021, 03:52 AM
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Like you, Bob, I bought my 2006 XJ8 because I'd always wanted a Jag. I've had mine since 2016 and, while it's had a few minor issues, I've loved every moment of owning this car. The engine has over 150,000 miles and most of that was me driving it (12 hour trips here and there add up, but were a dream in this car). Despite being dated (the touch screen and it's programming are definitely not modern), I still love the car. The look, the comfort ... it's still amazing to me. My lovely lady also loves taking a ride in it, too. Despite the miles, the only engine issue I've had was a coolant leak that needed repairing. Other than that, the engine remains strong on this car. It still purrs like new and still has power! I'm glad I bought it and, like you, wasn't concerned what the value of the car would be down the road ... only that I get to drive it each day.

The following users liked this post:
J.A.G. (10-06-2021)
Old 10-05-2021, 07:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 796 Likes on 669 Posts

Well guys the low resale, with Ford replacement parts, is how i came to own two.
Have driven new Hondas, a 90, & a 96 both since new, with standard transmissions.
Was looking for used Toyota's, with a stronger automatic trans, than the Hondas,..
Too expensive, for one in good condition.
Then saw how much car you could acquire for about 10% of what they cost new.
Was still in good shape, with less than a hundred thousand miles on it.
Should easily have that many more in them, with them still running strong.

Old 10-05-2021, 07:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 734 Likes on 470 Posts

Cheap Jags is the ONLY reason I own 11. Buying them was allot more fun than keeping them on the road. But still after 15 years I can't stop looking at them.

Old 10-05-2021, 07:45 AM

Here's mine:

She needs a bath, but its a rainy day, so it will have to wait. Not too shabby for a car minted in 2006 and run to death (150,000+ miles). I love the classic look and how they maintained that, while still upgrading it, through the decades.

J.A.G. (10-06-2021)
Old 10-05-2021, 07:50 AM
Banned
Received 256 Likes on 218 Posts

I could build a case that Jaguar Inc. has done a PP job of dispelling the urban legend of poor reliability. i have owned 5 or 6 jags back in the day and the were all perfectly satisfactory for cars of that class. As near as I can see, Jag has never gone at the reliability issue head on, at least not since Ford ownership days.

Old 10-05-2021, 07:55 AM

I could build a case that Jaguar Inc. has done a PP job of dispelling the urban legend of poor reliability. i have owned 5 or 6 jags back in the day and the were all perfectly satisfactory for cars of that class. As near as I can see, Jag has never gone at the reliability issue head on, at least not since Ford ownership days.
And that's a shame. I grew up hearing that Jags were awful, when it came to reliability. I got mine in 2016, used, with 90,000 miles on it. Since then, I've put another 60,000+ on it. The car has been incredibly reliable. There were several times that I'd driven it 12 hours straight. I was prepared for a lot more trouble when I got the car, but the only one I am really dealing with is the dreaded air suspension stuff.

Frank M (10-05-2021)
Old 10-05-2021, 10:13 AM
Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Used car prices across the board are through the roof. It is due to a number of things. The cash for clunkers thing eliminated millions of good used cars, the current state of affairs with our current administration killing sup[ply and the economy, the shortage of new cars. As an example,: my wife and I were going to buy a new Kia Soul beater. We went to the dealer and were told there is currently a $ 1,000.00 surcharge above the sticker price due to a lack of inventory. We left and ended up finding a splendid 05 X-Type with 31k on the clock.
I have found that the Jaguars I own are very consumer friendly when it comes to parts costs with a few exceptions. One being keys and fobs but I think those are costly for any marque.
I tell people all the time that I consider Jaguars to be the best used value today.

Old 10-05-2021, 10:23 AM

I have found that the Jaguars I own are very consumer friendly when it comes to parts costs with a few exceptions. One being keys and fobs but I think those are costly for any marque.
New fobs (with key) for my 2006 XJ8 can be obtained for under $20. If you have the key, then you really only need to swap that out and then program the electronic part to work with your car.

J.A.G. (10-06-2021)
Old 10-05-2021, 04:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,450 Likes on 1,948 Posts

Here in the UK, Jaguar X350s have recently gone up substantially in price on the open market. As it was the last classic shape XJ saloon, I suppose that is the reason.

Quick Reply: Jaguar depreciation - why so much?