XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Jaguar Engine Interferes with iPhone4 Ack!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 04:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jaguar Engine Interferes with iPhone4 Ack!!!

OK. This is just a weird problem. Here's the background... 

I have a 2005 Jaguar XJ8L with about 52,000 miles on it. Great car. Love it. 

I have a new iPhone 4. Great device. Love it. 

The combo of the two... Not so good. 

When talking on the phone in the car NOT in speaker mode and NOT using a headset, I hear an annoying clicking from the phone and it sounds to people on the other end like I'm "talking into a fan." Another person described it as "being attacked by a swarm of angry moths." 

In any other car the voice quality is fine. In MY car with the engine OFF the voice quality is fine.

In my car with the vehicle ON and all the electronics running, but the engine OFF, it's fine. 

The minute I start the engine, the call quality goes down the tube. 

If I switch to speaker or headset the quality is fine again.

The problem only happens in that car on that phone using the normal handset mode.

Setting aside the fact that using a headset or speaker is probably a safer way to drive, I'm concerned that there's potentially enough EMI coming from my engine to disrupt an electronic device like a cell phone in the car. It makes me wonder if there is some piece of electronics about to go bad.

This problem didn't happen with my iPhone 3G or any other cell phone that I can think of. 

I've already resigned myself to just using the headset, but I still want to figure out the root cause of the interference.

Apple already replaced the phone for me and it made no difference.

My next step is to go to the Jaguar dealer and ask them to replace the car. No, not really. However, I AM going to go start one on the lot that is the same model and similar year to see if it's just an iPhone vs. XJ8 thing, or if it's just MY car. 

Weird huh? Any thoughts? 

Old 07-14-2010, 04:59 PM
Default Same Problem - Iphone 4 noise

Both my and my son's Iphone 4 have the same problem. A loud ticking noise that does not vary with engine speed. It is especially bad on the call recipients end.

What can be done?

Old 07-14-2010, 05:02 PM

Forgot to mention that I also have an 05 XJ8L

Old 07-14-2010, 10:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 483 Likes on 404 Posts

Duct tape.

Old 07-15-2010, 10:04 PM
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

..just add it to the list of problems with the phone. Heard Apple may be considering a recall on the phone

Old 07-17-2010, 05:17 AM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

maybe it is an improvement but they are so in advance that you can't understand...lol...sorry about it....I am so ennuyed with mine...the deal about waiting to get feature on a new vehicule sounds pretty pitty ...too...not to agravate the situation....

Last edited by xjpassion; 07-18-2010 at 02:11 AM.
Old 07-18-2010, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin Killebrew
Both my and my son's Iphone 4 have the same problem. A loud ticking noise that does not vary with engine speed. It is especially bad on the call recipients end.

What can be done?
The problem is the sonar waves emitted from the sensors in the ceiling and dash of the vehicle. These sensors determine whether someone is in the front seat and activate/deactivate the airbags accordingly.

The sonar waves are picked up by the noise cancellation mic in the iPhone 4. That is why is works ok in speaker and with a headset (the NC mic is turned off). All you can do is tape over the sensors. That should work. Or, use a headset. Problems are reports on all late model Jaguars that use this system.

This seems to be the culprit. Apple had no idea of this problem. Jaguar seems to be aware.

Sol

Old 07-19-2010, 01:32 PM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it is sad,knowing how the value of a new vehicule depreciate so fast ,if they can sell one at his full value without delivering all options,for the first so important months.
see how I struggle with a car under warranty and how lazy and lenghty they are at repairing it right and giving appoitments 3 weeks appart since April.

all the time it is not on their side,it happenned to be on the good tolerance of buyers and sometimes I think jag goes too far.sorry to day so.I do not see the point of doing previous test drive to deliver the car not complete.

well you guys with new xj has not experienced what I did,and you probably have a great handling etc...all the best...personally and with my own and past experience I will refuse to pay the full value of I can't get the full options working,and I will not care at how nice ,and subtle the seller is,or and how good he can be,I do not care of this.

Last edited by xjpassion; 07-19-2010 at 01:46 PM.
Old 07-20-2010, 05:20 PM

yeah so I just called Apple to get a new Iphone 4 sent to me. Then I sat down and read this. This sucks. I cant even use my phone in the car. Im pissed b/c I left Tmobile using the original iphone and had a $65 a month bill. Now im on ATT with a more expensive bill and will be using the same phone but for $20 more a month!

Old 08-03-2010, 06:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 200 Posts

All I can say is that the Jaguar sensors were designed and in use B4 the iphone was even dreamed of! Don't blame Jaguar!!

Old 08-03-2010, 09:31 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

no problem with my iphone 4 in 2011 XJL

Old 08-19-2010, 12:24 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by shaffersh1
The problem is the sonar waves emitted from the sensors in the ceiling and dash of the vehicle. These sensors determine whether someone is in the front seat and activate/deactivate the airbags accordingly.

The sonar waves are picked up by the noise cancellation mic in the iPhone 4. That is why is works ok in speaker and with a headset (the NC mic is turned off). All you can do is tape over the sensors. That should work. Or, use a headset. Problems are reports on all late model Jaguars that use this system.

This seems to be the culprit. Apple had no idea of this problem. Jaguar seems to be aware.

Sol
actually there is no sonar sensors. there is what is called classification occupancy sensor which is located in the cushions. thats how the air bags know when to arm. If that theory was true he would have a corrupt signal during any duration of events, not just engine running. .

my bad i was thinking or land rover
but on a side note, sonar sensor is actually how the new jaguar 5.0 liter checks oil. theres no dipstick

Last edited by stocksuspension; 08-19-2010 at 10:19 PM. Reason: brainfart
Old 08-19-2010, 10:07 PM

pkp124
I got my iphone 4 to work properly with my 2011 XJL without any problems. Here's what I had to do. I first make sure my iPhone 4 bluetooth is off and hop in the car. Start the car and push phone button and the car computer searches for bluetooth phone. At this point turn on bluetooth function of the Iphone 4. The car computer will find the iphone and pair up/dock with it. All the normal functionality will be there. Subsequently the process of pairing with your iphone will be automatic. I don't get any interference or signal problems either. I believe the trick to get the initial pairing is timing. The car computer has to be searching before the iphone 4's bluetooth system starts searching to get the right sequence. try it...hope it works for you.

Old 08-22-2010, 09:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,362 Likes on 1,479 Posts

Oddly enough I have no issues with my Super V8! Go figure and knock on burl wood!

Old 08-23-2010, 09:39 AM

there is no reason to send your phone back to apple. There is nothing you can do short of covering all sonar sensors up with tape. My suggestion... use a bluetooth headset, use speaker phone, or take phone back. Kinda sucks I know...

Old 08-24-2010, 02:15 PM

I used my iPhone 4 and iPhone 3G with my 2011 XJL and 2010 XF(loaner) with no problems at all. All the connectivity features work fine and the reception and transmission are fine. This problem must be pretty specific to vehicle model/year....

Quick Reply: Jaguar Engine Interferes with iPhone4 Ack!!!