XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Jaguar Key Fob 2001 to 2009 Facts All You Need to Know FAQ

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2019, 04:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 191 Likes on 149 Posts

LCMJAGUAR, I realise this is an old (and very useful) post.
I only have one key and fob for my car and it is shabby and the fob is partly not functioning (it unlocks but will not lock, the boot release works but the headlights do not)?
I want to replace both the key and the fob parts. I read (in your article) about how to release my existing cut and working key from its holder; no problem here. However, is it possible to remove the transponder chip from my existing key and fit it into the new key, please?

Old 12-12-2019, 10:10 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Dear EsRay,

Regarding your "I only have one key and fob" - my ¢2 advice in to prevent from such a situation as
if current key will damaged or stop activate... the result will be costly repair, (you'll need then a Jaguar mechanic who'll need to analyze and re-characterize
your key code...)

So get one as a backup from ebay.com/ebay.co.uk/aliexpress.com etc.

Now, regarding your
"fob is partly not functioning (it unlocks but will not lock, the boot release works but the headlights do not)?",
you can do what I did, order these "Key Fob Micro Tactile Switches", (I chose H=1.7 just in order to feel the touch), and simply replace the old 4 micro
tactile switches w/a sharp nose soldering iron.

About the transponder, you can transfer it from one key to another and for the key code engraving, you'll have to look for a professional key duplicator who
familiar w/Jag. materials.

Wish you all the best.

The following users liked this post:
EsRay (12-12-2019)
Old 12-14-2019, 07:37 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2KJagXJR

I live in Oregon and was just given a 2000 Jaguar XJR that is sitting in West virginia on a Jag dealerships lot. There is/was no key for it. so I had the dealership order the key Nov 12th and they have it in now but the service man told me like a week ago he wasn't sure he could program it with it being a 2000... ? So can you tell me what I need to do before I have to pay these guys to do what someone else can do a lot faster? I have been waiting on these guys to simply get this key and program it so i can have the car shipped to Oregon where I live since Nov. 12th. and I feel like i'm being jerked around too. Thank you for any info.

Last edited by Hannah L Duer Giffen; 12-15-2019 at 03:41 AM.
Old 12-14-2019, 08:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 798 Likes on 670 Posts

A lot of questions come to mind, first why are they giving away the car??????????
Any Jaguar dealer should be able to program the key.
But find it hard to believe they have a car with no key.
Then selling you a key, that they can not program.
Sounds a lot like a car that could have some big problems.
Who pays to ship the car across the country???
Hope that i am wrong, and things work out well for you.
But i'm a cranky old man, who trusts NO ONE, so just watch out for yourself.
Something too good to be true, is usually just that, TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-15-2019, 03:16 AM

I live in Oregon and was just given a 2000 Jaguar XJR that is sitting in West virginia on a Jag dealerships lot. There is/was no key for it. so I had the dealership order the key Nov 12th and they have it in now but the service man told me like a week ago he wasn't sure he could program it with it being a 2000... ? So can you tell me what I need to do before I have to pay these guys to do what someone else can do a lot faster? I have been waiting on these guys to simply get this key and program it so i can have the car shipped to Oregon where I live since Nov. 12th. and I feel like i'm being jerked around too. Thank you for any info.

Old 12-15-2019, 03:23 AM

Sorry I don't know how to use this very well yet.. Personally I was not asking for an opinion on what you think of my situation, I did not go into depth on the details I just didn't think they were as important as the quest for answers. If you must know it was a distant relative who has given me the car I have bill of sale on it the car dealership confirms the car is there and who it belongs to okay? that part is allllll good what I need to know and you answered my question already that they can do it so now I will know how to respond to them next time about it i have been doing some research on it too. Thank you you were all very wise and helpful...

Old 12-15-2019, 03:39 AM
Default 2KJagXJR

here is the car at the dealership as it is.. I just need to have the key made so I can have it shipped to Oregon..which will cost me about $1200.00

from the car dealership

from the car dealership

Old 12-15-2019, 10:55 AM
Veteran Member

Not interested in your personal affairs, as to how you acquired the car.
Their beautiful automobiles that run ride & handle great, after sorted out, best of luck with your new toy.
After acquiring your car, get it up & running, a second key from Ebay is a good idea.
I purchased a lot of six used keys from a locksmith.
Then purchased key inserts, installed them & had them cut to fit the cars.
Then programmed them myself as i had two keys that worked already.

Old 12-15-2019, 06:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 918 Likes on 654 Posts

Originally Posted by Hannah L Duer Giffen
Sorry I don't know how to use this very well yet.. Personally I was not asking for an opinion on what you think of my situation, I did not go into depth on the details I just didn't think they were as important as the quest for answers. If you must know it was a distant relative who has given me the car I have bill of sale on it the car dealership confirms the car is there and who it belongs to okay? that part is allllll good what I need to know and you answered my question already that they can do it so now I will know how to respond to them next time about it i have been doing some research on it too. Thank you you were all very wise and helpful...
Hannah,

I'm happy for you! Not every day someone receives a Jaguar as a gift! I'm sorry you are having trouble with the Dealership and the Key situation but maybe next time you ask for HELP you should go into more depth about your situation. Maybe then you would get several more answers to your questions.....Also, it probably wouldn't hurt for you to send old "Wingrider" a little note of Thanks or Appreciation! We say things at 3:20AM that we probably would not say around 10:00AM...…….Think about it! (Poor old Guy)..

Also, sometimes a Dealership will require certain things showing proof of Ownership and such prior to cutting a Key! Something like that could be the hold-up.....Pick up the phone a call them....they have the Key and they have a Key Cutter...something else is required here!

Billy Clyde in Houston

Old 12-16-2019, 06:45 PM
Default 2KJagXJR Is very thankful.

Okay, Im sorry, I thought that I had said, please and thank you.
So I have made a number of phone calls to the dealership in Charleston WV we are 3 hours difference in time and when I get off work and get home that place is closed up. Today however is my day off and was able to call there and speak to the manager " Ronnie" and he said he had overheard that there was a key but it wouldn't work? had something to do with the module? He didn't really know "anything" and the parts or service guy had already gone for the day mind you here it was 2:00 pm and there it would have been 5:00 pm. He promised that tomorrow morning when the service guy is there he would call me to tell me something I guess. This is how it has gone every time I have called there. I explained to him I am in Oregon I cant just look out my window and see whats going on over there BUT, I could "fly" out there by gawd! I guess that's what I will have to plan on doing if I want to get anything done. whats even weirder? last night I looked up all the locksmiths in Charleston West Virginia and even though they advertised on their website all the things they can do about replacing the keys on a Jaguar, after asking them about it they all the sudden dont do Jaguar. So I just have no idea what the issue is as no one seems to have any answers about what needs to be done. Yes I realize they will want proof of ownership thats the other issue, I have a bill of sale BUT I am not about to put my name on a car that I cant get my hands on. a Rock and a Hard place comes to mind. I want to thank all of you for all of your attention and thank you for all of your knowledge you have shared with me. Your right, it is not everyday this happens but it is happening. True story. THANK YOU!!

Last edited by Hannah L Duer Giffen; 12-16-2019 at 06:48 PM.
Wes Holstein (12-18-2019)
Old 12-16-2019, 08:53 PM
Veteran Member

If this is a Jaguar dealership they sure aren't on the ball, & doubt there is another.

West Virginia is a very poor state, back in the 30's,40's, & 50's the 3 r's were readn, riten, & rout 21,

Rout 21 to Akron, the Rubber Capitol of the World, at that time.

True not very many locksmiths have the needed, & very expensive tool to cut, & computer to program Jaguar keys.

Also Jaguar keys, ordered at the dealer, come cut to fit your car.

Then they need programmed to your car.

Good luck to you

Old 12-17-2019, 07:31 AM
Default 2KJagXJR

Thats the truth about it is, they are not on the ball at all. I have had to delay the company I was having haul that car and they call constantly like they have to remind me or something..So stay tuned for the next update today I was told by the manager Ronnie that he would be calling me today with some answers? maybe. Thank you for hanging in here with me, this whole thing is been a challenge from day one. I find moments where I just want to wash my hands of the whole thing "before I have money wrapped up in it" ... was good info to know that the key will come all ready for that car. I will look up what the module is and what it will likely cost me... just curious.

Old 12-17-2019, 09:12 AM
Veteran Member

My father in law was a car salesman God rest his soul.
Always turned me onto good cheap used cars traded in.
They all needed work, dealer did not want to bother with, older & not worth much.
But what was learned was what i always believed, SHYSTERS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hannah L Duer Giffen (12-17-2019)
Old 12-17-2019, 09:46 AM

well I don't really believe in those but I have not ever had to deal with anyone over from the East coast before, No offence to anyone please... I am learning there is a difference. Im gonna try as hard as I can because it could be destiny or fate that I have that. I also happen to believe the lady who gave it to me that there's nothing at all wrong with it except its needing a replacement key and tires. that one photo i posted here is on that lot just last month that pic was taken by a Mr. Dominique Lee who was at first helping me as he was the one who ordered the key but then like the next monday rolled around and he had quit his job, left the building all together. I had no idea no one told me or knew what was going on, until I called looking for him. He never did me any favors, but he did them a big one. Basically he is the reason its taken this long because he never once did anything he said he would do. really as far as I can see from here not one of them have. just needed to be kept in the loop with conversation and updated so I wouldn't be sitting here wondering whats going to happen. and as you can see I have no trouble keeping up on this thread of interest and I am the hardest worker you will ever know and I have been working very hard on this. I will make a follow up report after my next conversation today with them. in fact there's 3 hours difference from there to here and right now here it is 7:40 am so its 10:40 am there already, i figured Id give them enough time to figure out what is what. im keeping my fingers crossed. Thank you for your time, honestly... and incase I dont get to say, Happy holidays. sincerely, Hannah D.
PS!? what are these quote message things down here below?

Wes Holstein (12-18-2019)
Old 12-17-2019, 10:30 AM
Veteran Member

This may be an attempt to acquire the car themselves, i've seen that kind of **** go on before with motorcycles, as well as cars..
The more you have to say makes me wonder, keep on their asses, be polite but steady pressure gets things done.
GOOD LUCK

Old 12-17-2019, 10:58 AM

That has been my fear from the beginning because they know I can't do anything from here. That is why I told him " I can always fly out there". I had that one, Dominique guy go out and take pictures of the car so I had those. I cant believe this crap It is 8:40 am here and they are about to go to lunch time over there. Time just keeps on ticking away and no one ever seems to do anything. I try hard to stay level but I am an honest type person and this kind of deal brings out the absolute best in me. welp 9:00 am it's 12:00 there time still have not heard from them. . and guess what... its time to go feed the calf two bottles of milk and throw hay to the horses and feed the ducks, If im ever selfish with anything, its my "time".

Last edited by Hannah L Duer Giffen; 12-17-2019 at 11:09 AM. Reason: I talk too much. ?? today at 5:07 pm? I must be going nuts.
Old 01-18-2020, 02:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 483 Likes on 370 Posts

Dude just pay the shipper a little more and theyll haul it back non-op! Thats how I got my STR back home last summer. They can winch it up

Old 03-18-2020, 06:04 AM
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Thank you Icmjaguar for your great article on keys and how to program them.

Just programmed two additional key the seller provided cut but not registered. With your help it was a matter of minutes, or better: seconds and now I have two fullyworking additional keys.

What a great forum !

Thanks
Eberhard

Old 03-21-2020, 03:08 PM
Veteran Member

What was your outcome with the Jaguar, Hannah L Duer Giffen?

Positive i hope,

Old 03-21-2020, 10:28 PM
Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

I recognize this dealership; it's Astorg. I used to work there back when it was Smith Auto. It's a pretty large dealer... they also sell Mercedes, Volvo, Land Rover, and Audi.

Originally Posted by Hannah L Duer Giffen
here is the car at the dealership as it is.. I just need to have the key made so I can have it shipped to Oregon..which will cost me about $1200.00

from the car dealership
rom the car dealership

Quick Reply: Jaguar Key Fob 2001 to 2009 Facts All You Need to Know FAQ