XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Jaguar VDP won't start or turn over

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 12:12 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Jaguar VDP won't start or turn over

Hello everyone,
My car, a 2004 Jaguar VDP was running and I pulled a relay under the hood thinking it was the suspension relay hoping it would reset itself. I was wrong and the car shut off and now it will not start. I have checked all relays and fuses under the hood, in the cabin and in the trunk, they're all good.

The engine will not turn over and the battery is two months old and fully charged. The car is also stuck in park. Reading some of the threads I learned how to get it out of park and in neutral but car still won't turn over or come out of park as I can't get it out of the garage. I would appreciate any suggestion that would help me get the car running again.

Old 02-12-2014, 03:08 AM
GGG
Received 16,861 Likes on 12,186 Posts

AngelM,

I've moved your question from General Tech Help to X350 forum. Members here with the same model will be able to help.

Graham

Old 02-12-2014, 10:22 AM
Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

Does it crank when you turn the ignition switch or it's completely dead?

Old 02-12-2014, 12:57 PM
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

These are the same symptoms I had when the bolt fell out of my transmission cable. Car would light up, wouldn't crank or turn over, and wasn't able to get the car out of Park.

Maybe this happened coincidently at the same time?

Old 02-12-2014, 10:50 PM

Thank you!!!

Old 02-12-2014, 11:01 PM

I read on a thread about the bolts that hold the shift cable and seems like a common issue. Before pulling the relay I was shifting forward and reverse and breaking hard to activate the suspension. We've been having a rough winter but I'm getting under my car this weekend and hoping that's the solution. Thank you for the expert advise.

Old 02-12-2014, 11:04 PM

No crank at all. Stuck in park and everything works but no cranking.

Old 02-18-2014, 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by esloser
These are the same symptoms I had when the bolt fell out of my transmission cable. Car would light up, wouldn't crank or turn over, and wasn't able to get the car out of Park.

Maybe this happened coincidently at the same time?
Esloser,
Thank you for your suggestion as I thought that a bolt to the trans gear shifter for sure had dropped. I placed my cell phone on a pole and video recorded the trans from end to end and both bolts were still attached. Any other suggestion?

Old 02-18-2014, 06:50 AM
Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

To clarify, you pulled a relay while the engine was running? If so, I hope you did not fry something as a result. You may need to get the car towed to a reputable dealer to diagnose.

Old 02-18-2014, 08:52 AM
cjd
Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts

Whenever my car acts up...I disconnect the battery for 10 minutes and then reconnect. I've only had to do it twice in 9 years. It worked both times, although I never knew the cause of the problem...no codes or anything.

Old 02-18-2014, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by rhankey
To clarify, you pulled a relay while the engine was running? If so, I hope you did not fry something as a result. You may need to get the car towed to a reputable dealer to diagnose.
That's what I'm trying to figure out what the possibilities. I checked all the fuses an relays. I have three Jag dealers in the area and two have been dishonest in the past and I have never returned. The third sell all their parts almost at half the price of the other two, maybe I'll try them, but don't want the car towed with the wheels locked as the car is stuck in park as well. I wonder if there is an engine fuse or the alarm engaged.

Old 02-18-2014, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by cjd
Whenever my car acts up...I disconnect the battery for 10 minutes and then reconnect. I've only had to do it twice in 9 years. It worked both times, although I never knew the cause of the problem...no codes or anything.
I tried that as well and no luck. Have you heard of an immobilizer system on the Jaguars? I have tried almost everything. The steering wheel it's not locking and turns freely.

Old 02-18-2014, 11:23 PM

When your gear shifter is in park, does the "P" illuminate or some other letter? Any messages on the instrument cluster? With the ignition on press the brake and move the shifter around the gears stopping for about 10 seconds on each gear - try to hear if trany is shifting, then return to park.

Last edited by veffremov; 02-18-2014 at 11:33 PM.
Old 02-19-2014, 07:07 AM

There's also a switch on the gear shifter that works when the brake is pressed. I've read that this causes the same symptoms. I haven't and this issue, but have read about it on here while researching my own transmission cable bolt problem.

Originally Posted by AngelM
Esloser,
Thank you for your suggestion as I thought that a bolt to the trans gear shifter for sure had dropped. I placed my cell phone on a pole and video recorded the trans from end to end and both bolts were still attached. Any other suggestion?

Old 02-20-2014, 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by veffremov
When your gear shifter is in park, does the "P" illuminate or some other letter? Any messages on the instrument cluster? With the ignition on press the brake and move the shifter around the gears stopping for about 10 seconds on each gear - try to hear if trany is shifting, then return to park.
No letter appears. The messages are Air Suspension Fault, CATS System Fault, DSC not available, Transmission Fault and Park Brake Fault. Thank you for your interest to help me.

Old 02-20-2014, 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by veffremov
I can't shift as it's stuck in park.

Old 02-20-2014, 12:49 AM

Originally Posted by esloser
There's also a switch on the gear shifter that works when the brake is pressed. I've read that this causes the same symptoms. I haven't and this issue, but have read about it on here while researching my own transmission cable bolt problem.
Thanks, I'll look for one tomorrow and see. Are you aware of any engine fuse that may have blown, besides the ones under the hood, the cabin or trunk? Those are all good.

Old 02-20-2014, 05:42 AM

Hmmm - I just saw your error messages. I'm not a mechanic or even mechanically inclined besides changing a headlight. Unfortunately, I just regurgitate things I've read or researched on here. I haven't seen anything on here that talked about your issue.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Old 02-20-2014, 09:56 AM

Given the number of error messages I would say your kitty is in serious coma. The obvious choice is to transport it to a professional.

If you have some skills and time to invest get a Mongoose JLR tool and a copy of the Jaguar SDD software and see what the car computers are willing to tell you. The first thing that software does it try and talk to all computers in the car, that would tell you which ones are talking back and if some module is dead. That would give you a good starting point.

Old 02-20-2014, 12:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 324 Likes on 276 Posts

What relay did you pull? Knowing where the problem started might help.
The messages you are getting are very much like the ones that appear when the throttle body TPS has failed.

Quick Reply: Jaguar VDP won't start or turn over