XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Jaguar VDP won't start or turn over

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 01:33 PM
Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

@Oldmots, when the TB fails the messages are "Engine system failure, DSC not available, Park brake failure". He is missing the "Engine system failure", but has "Air suspension fault", "CATS Failure" and "Transmission failure".

I would suspect the ECM can not talk to the TCM and determine if the car is still in gear or not. But that is sheer speculation and no idea what the root cause might be.

Old 02-20-2014, 11:00 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by esloser
Hmmm - I just saw your error messages. I'm not a mechanic or even mechanically inclined besides changing a headlight. Unfortunately, I just regurgitate things I've read or researched on here. I haven't seen anything on here that talked about your issue.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
esloser, thank you for effort. I'm fairly mechanically knowledgeable and this one has given me a kick in the rear. Most cars experience a temporary malfunction. I read the owners handbook cover to cover last night and there is a switch that locks the steering wheel and related to the brake system which may be malfunctioning. My steering wheel doesn't lock and there may be a connection. Thanks again and I'll keep you posted on my progress. if I can get it into neutral and towed to the dealer it will be a victory.

Old 02-20-2014, 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by veffremov
Given the number of error messages I would say your kitty is in serious coma. The obvious choice is to transport it to a professional.

If you have some skills and time to invest get a Mongoose JLR tool and a copy of the Jaguar SDD software and see what the car computers are willing to tell you. The first thing that software does it try and talk to all computers in the car, that would tell you which ones are talking back and if some module is dead. That would give you a good starting point.
If I can get it out of the garage and to a dealer it would be a victory. I backed my car in and car seems to be in park and by towing it at this point it would have to be dragged out of the garage and that would strain the trans and possible damage. I have a gut feeling that it may be stuck on reverse so tomorrow I'm going to push it backwards and see. If I can't find the problem this weekend I will get a diagnostic tool and see what codes come up. Thank you and I will keep you posted.

Old 02-20-2014, 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by oldmots
What relay did you pull? Knowing where the problem started might help.
The messages you are getting are very much like the ones that appear when the throttle body TPS has failed.
The relays were the ones under the hood. By looking at the handbook none of the relays seem seem relevant to the car's dormant stage. Some of the small fuses under the hood serve more relevant functions and I didn't pull any while the car was running. I'm going to check those fuses again that control the ecm, tcm and ignition. I hope you may come up with something and I'll keep you posted on any progress. Thank you.

Old 02-26-2014, 01:42 AM

Originally Posted by AngelM
The relays were the ones under the hood. By looking at the handbook none of the relays seem seem relevant to the car's dormant stage. Some of the small fuses under the hood serve more relevant functions and I didn't pull any while the car was running. I'm going to check those fuses again that control the ecm, tcm and ignition. I hope you may come up with something and I'll keep you posted on any progress. Thank you.
You were right, as I went back to the relays under the hood fuse box and pressed and moved each relay I heard the sound of a connection being made. I went inside and the cat started right up. I wonder if the incorrect seating of the relays cause many no starts even if they look correctly installed.

Old 02-26-2014, 01:53 AM

Originally Posted by oldmots
What relay did you pull? Knowing where the problem started might help.
The messages you are getting are very much like the ones that appear when the throttle body TPS has failed.
Oldmots, I returned under the hood tonight after having checked every fuse and every ground including the MEGA fuses in the trunk. I started to press all the relays to make sure they were seated properly and as I pressed the starter relay it made a sound as if a connection had been stablished. I went inside the cat and it started right up. I think that many no start problems may be the starter relay no making proper contact even when it looks properly seated. THANK YOU!!!

Old 02-26-2014, 02:03 AM

Originally Posted by esloser
Hmmm - I just saw your error messages. I'm not a mechanic or even mechanically inclined besides changing a headlight. Unfortunately, I just regurgitate things I've read or researched on here. I haven't seen anything on here that talked about your issue.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
Esloser, I went back under the hood and checked all the relays by making sure they were properly seated. As I pressed and moved the started relay I heard a sound as if a connection had been made. I went inside the cat and it started right up. I think that many no starts may be traced back to the starter relay. It looked properly seated. Thank you for your support and concern!!!

Old 02-27-2014, 05:47 AM
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

No problem - people on this forum have always been willing and able to help me when I have questions or issues. So, I try to help out when I can. Before I bought my Xj8, I went through every thread in the x350 section.

Originally Posted by AngelM
Esloser, I went back under the hood and checked all the relays by making sure they were properly seated. As I pressed and moved the started relay I heard a sound as if a connection had been made. I went inside the cat and it started right up. I think that many no starts may be traced back to the starter relay. It looked properly seated. Thank you for your support and concern!!!