XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Journey to 500 HP

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2015, 09:23 PM
Received 78 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Journey to 500 HP

So I've decided since I really like this 06 R I figured I would keep it.... and mod it. Given Eurocharged has this great contest and even without it a great deal on a couple items needed to get there I'm asking what else does it take?

The pulley and re program should add about 40hp, then I figure performance exhaust and a cold air box. I would think this could get me to 450 but that's about it unless I'm missing something.

Cambo...I know you are doing stuff, your thoughts ? I have a drag strip near me so my long term is to break 12's.

Wife thinks I'm nuts and the car is fast enough already but she gets to drive the Rover to its my call, LOL.

Old 05-11-2015, 09:36 PM
Received 4,454 Likes on 2,426 Posts

You mean hp at the crank right? Not a chance to get near 500 with the Eaton blower, unless you stick a 100 shot of Nitrous on it. Even 450 is extremely optimistic.

The limit seems to be 350-360rwhp (on American dynos ) which has just taken a few S-Type R's into the 12's. That's not 450hp at the crank...

No X350 XJR has dipped into the 12's without nitrous as far as I know, although that will change this coming weekend when the UK boys run at Santa Pod, the twinscrew XJR will be running there.

How many miles on your engine John?

Old 05-11-2015, 10:31 PM

Its got a little more than 63K on it. So correct me but depending on which publication you check the car itself has either 390hp or 400hp from the factory. If Eurocharged is claiming adding there 2 components will add 40hp that puts it at 440 then the exhaust and cold air should be worth 10hp. If I am wrong please correct me because modding a Jag is all new to me.

What do you have on yours ? I thought you were at 13.5 without exhaust..... or drag radials unless I missed something in one of your posts.

Old 05-12-2015, 02:16 AM

Let's stick with 390hp, better to start low. And for the sake of discussion let's take a 19% loss in the drivetrain. 390hp = 316rwhp, which again is about normal for a stock car. 390hp / 316rwhp was how much the engine was rated when new. Question is how many horses have escaped in those 63'000 miles? More than you'd expect that's for sure.

Before you go chasing power gains, think about power recovery.

- New cats
- Full service; plugs, air & fuel filters (at 63k you're still on the original sparkplugs)
- Carbon clean

I am quite sure just doing those three things will bring you a noticeable difference. If you can get some 1/4 mile and dyno runs in before & after.

Then you can think about pulleys & tunes & intakes & whatnot.

If you are doing the cats then look at 200 cell (or 100 cell if you can) and an ECU adjustment to turn off the CEL, don't use minicats. See here ==>> https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...0/#post1211452

If you are going to work with dyno results then always use the exact same dyno. And make sure the operator uses the same settings each time.

Now my car.

2 years ago i ran a 13.245 @ 105.45mph with a 2.02 60', at Santa Pod in the UK.
At the time the car went on a dyno in the UK and did 340.7rwhp
(but I think it was more like 320hp, that dyno read high)
Car had 98'500 miles on it then.

Mods at the time were;
Quaife LSD, Intake Pipe, K&N panel filter, 3lb pulley from Powerhouse

The tyres were ancient Falken FK452's, but the track was really sticky and the car hooked up well after some burnouts.

I have not run quicker since. But I have got the mph trap speed up.

A month ago 13.375 @ 107.46mph with 2.08 60', with major traction problems getting off the line. I need some new rubber, the Nitto NT05's are 18 months old and have gone off, to the point of being dangerous on the street. But that's another story. With decent rubber I think i'll get it down to 13.1 as it is now. Most recent dyno after all the dramas was only 320rwhp, yet the trap speed was up. Doesn't make a lot of sense but there you have it.

Had a lot of dramas leading up to that most recent "best" run, choked cats, bad fuel pumps, engine choked up with carbon & crap, you saw the long thread https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...solved-137070/ well i'm not sure how much damage was done to the engine after all that. Again after putting on new cats it's hard to say how much is the gain compared to recovering lost power.

As for which pulley, some interesting comments from 1320racer, one of the S-Type R guys in this thread about pulleys ==>> https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...4/#post1218107 "I've had both the 1.5# and 3.0# pulleys on my STR. Dyno results indicate that peak HP and TRQ are a bit higher with the 3.0# pulley but my best 1/4 mile ETs and MPH were achieved with a 1.5# pulley."

Basically what I call the 3lb pulley, they call 3.0#, it's supposed to give you 3psi more boost, maybe it does too. These are the pulleys that you need to machine the snout of the blower. The 1.5lb or 1.5# does not require machinining, supposedly 1.5psi more boost.

With hindsight I would have not put the 3lb pulley on my blower.

The supercharger is already way overdriven even with the stock pulley, and it's losing efficiency in the top end. My feeling now is that the 3lb is too much, and if anything loses you some top end power.

If you can, invest in the proper pulley tool, so you can remove the stock pulley without damaging it. And put on a smaller pulley a 1.5# or whatever it's called. You can (hopefully) put the stock pulley back on afterwards?

My next little project will be water/meth injection, which I hope will compensate for the extreme overdrive of the blower with the 3lb pulley. The cooling effects through the blower should help. Also those who've fitted water injection report a pound or so more boost with it running, the mist seems to reduce the internal leakage past the rotors.

In regards to tuning, here's a detailed documented Eurocharged tune on an S-Type R with a 3lb pulley, picked up an average of 11rwhp from the tune. https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...on-str-104033/
I think there would have actually been a bigger gain with a stock pulley or at most a 1.5

I'm not aware of anyone who's got before & after dyno's for the pulley & tune together, but there are probably a few for just the pulley.

Got to remember that it's rwhp that is actually measured. There's no way either pulley gives you 30rwhp more on these engines.

Well that's enough rambling...

The following users liked this post:
John Fox (05-13-2015)
Old 05-12-2015, 02:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,531 Likes on 3,941 Posts

So for 500HP use a TS... contact avos...

Old 05-12-2015, 02:29 AM

Originally Posted by JagV8
So for 500HP use a TS... contact avos...
Yep, that's about it.

Old 05-12-2015, 09:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 171 Likes on 127 Posts

My 04 xjr bone stock was 312rwhp on a dyno dynamics dyno. You can expect a bit more out of other dynos. I cant see more than 350 rwhp with the eaton either. But I plan on picking up a twin screw....But before that Im hoping to get a decent baseline with current mods. I suggest a Pro M meter a caldoofy intake and a pulley to start

Old 05-13-2015, 07:58 AM

I think first off I need to find a good dyno shop and also a good performance mechanic. I might just make this my pet project. I agree that there is loss of hp due to age and miles but I guess I need to start somewhere. Who sells the best exhaust for this application without loosing all semblance of quiet?

Old 05-13-2015, 08:59 AM
Received 89 Likes on 52 Posts

Another future twin screw guy here.

I debated going down the pulley road myself but decide to just go big. Looked into porting the Eaton to give it more power, but at close to a grand ai figured I may as well just save up for the big boy toy.

I very much like my exhaust, it is a borla system. No drone what so ever, but sounds perfect behind the car or under WOT.

If you would like more info just ask.

Old 05-13-2015, 10:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 171 Likes on 127 Posts

John,

Dynos are all over the place. Id just suggest using the same dyno under similar conditions temp and humidity wise when comparing numbers. At your miles your car shouldn't be beat up. If anything its broken in. But never knowing the history as been said some right off the bat things should be done.

1) Plugs. Id go for autolite XP iridiums or NGK iridiums
2) Fuel filter
3) Air box Mod- Well there is a flap....that is controlled by a solenoid that sometimes has issues. Remove flap. Keep solenoid plugged in. Also check filter while in there.
4) Good synthetic oil change. I use amsoil but whatever you like really.

At this point youde be good to go for a dyno pull.

Ive been building and fiddling with eaton powered motors for sometime starting with the thunderbrd sc's back in the early 90's. The jaguars are new to me however its just an air pump and the Eaton an air mover (not compressor)..That's important to understand..A twin screw also compresses

Now being an air mover. Any restriction before the blower makes a huge difference in performance (and boost)

So back to mods

1) Increase...Intake pipe diameter, MAF diameter, TB Diameter. These mods will IMO along with a pulley give you the best gains. Less restriction more boost=smiley face
2) Porting:Our Eaton is for the most part optimized form Eaton as the latest generation of its kind. Porting works well on previous versions. From what I was told by people who have been porting these things for 20 years have told me specifically that out generation eaton does not respond well to porting. It's a waste and it seems many here who have done it haven't experienced much if anything. I have a feeling the SC inlet could probably be optimized. Would love to see if a custom made one that was larger made a difference. Again any bottle neck before blower is bad. Don't waste your money on this. I got my rotors recoated and installed a 10% pulley...HAvent installed yet as I had a spare blower I rebuilt
3) Exhaust...I have yet to install my exhaust but my understanding is that it isn't all that restrictive except perhaps the cat sections. A majority of your power increase will be from removing before blower restriction and spinning it faster for a bit more boost on top of that

Honestly whats out there is likely still restrictive. On one of my m90 powered 3.8 V6's I have a 4" Intake and MAF, a 4" SC inlet custom made and a 95mm TB. This gave an increase in power from my previous 90MM MAF 3.5" intake, 85mm TB. So the same would apply to our Jags in theory. Someone here would better be able to equate that to power gained or 1/4 mile times such as Cambo. But the theory is the same.

Old 05-13-2015, 05:11 PM

If sticking with the Eaton, then yes releiving the intake and exhaust restrictions are the major opporunity to improve efficiency of the blower.

I'm now in 2 minds about just spinning it faster i.e. pulley because if you have restrictions on either side the blower is just working harder. If it's working too hard then you aren't pumping more air, you're just making it hotter.

One of the X308 guys did a heap of testing with different intakes & larger MAF, and there were gains to be had. We already see this on the X350 with just the Caldoofy intake pipe.

If you start trying to take this further, for example a bored out throttle body, bigger MAF, then yes you will see improvments in efficiency. Getting rid of the restrictions reduces vacuum in the intake tract, which certainly is beneficial.

But ultimately there is a limit on how much air the Eaton can pump. And that's where you max out in hp. And that's where the twinscrew comes into play.

If you want to tinker for the sake of tinkering, then by all means try to make these small improvments. If 500hp is your goal, then you will have to go twinscrew.

One of the things i'm curious to see on other peoples cars now, is the MAF rate in g/s, I think this is a good indication of how well your engine is breathing.

Before I changed the cats on mine I was getting 320-330g/s max, after the new cats went on I got 366g/s. Put simply more air means more hp so that was the "wow" I experienced once the new cats went on.

You can monitor the MAF via OBD and with an app like Torque you see the min/max so it's pretty easy to make a short WOT run and record the results.

Any modification you do should see the MAF g/s rise, if not then no gain.

Old 05-16-2015, 12:50 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

What does a twin screw setup cost? I've yet to see prices anywhere..

Old 05-16-2015, 06:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,531 Likes on 3,941 Posts

PM avos and ask

Old 05-16-2015, 08:48 AM

First off thanks for all the comments and info, it is appreciated. I did PM Avos through here and his email he uses for the selling of the twin screw kits but has yet to answer and I emailed and PMed him on Tuesday. Maybe he is on vaca or something but I hope he replies soon so I can put together a game plan.

Old 02-05-2021, 04:58 PM
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I've been researching potential performance upgrades for the supercharged 4.2 AJV8 engine to reach 500 bhp. However, if you add the cost of all these mods up, it might end up costing the same as a Kenne Bell conversion (I'm guessing that would cost around Ł10K, right?).
I'm not sure if these mods would actually result in the gains they claim but you never know, sometimes you get pleasant surprises.

1. Silver electrode spark plugs - they produce a bigger, more powerful spark than all other kinds of metals used. Power can possibly be increased by 5-10 Bhp
The model that fits is the: Brisk DOR15LGS 3026 PREMIUM
https://www.briskracing.com/brisk-ra...ugs-advantages
Dyno results for the sceptics: Dyno Testing Results

2. Porting and polishing the cylinder head: There are different levels and prices but most of the time a minimum increase of 30-40 BHP can be realistically expected to a standard engine, this mod can enhance the power increase potential of other engine modifications later.

3. Porting and polishing the Eaton supercharger looks promising: https://stiegemeier.com/services/supercharger-porting/

4. Caldoofy's tubular exhaust manifold/headers and system: +30 BHP
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...0/#post1622984
Dyno results: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...0/#post2058142

5. Some silencers are better than others. Glass/ceramic fibes packed around a perforated tube is the most common type but there are many innovative sound cancelling technologies offered by various brands, some even manage to increase power more than no silencer at all.
My favourite sounding silencers are Spintech mufflers which contains vortex chambers that convert sound energy into heat, resulting in a lower pressure and a gas flow increase.

Here are some dyno comparisons with different mufflers on the same car: https://nastyz28.com/threads/muffler...mation.319940/
There are significant differences in power.

I think that adding a combination of the above modifications to the usual air intake, pulley wheel and ECU tune mods, could make it possible to reach the 450-550 Bhp range (at the crank)

Then, how about reducing drivetrain power losses with a set of magnesium forged wheels? (Ł6000-10000 from well known brands) 8-10 kg is realistic per 20" wheel instead of 13+Kg for an OEM wheel. It'll probably cost a quarter of that if you buy directly from a Chinese manufacturer: http://www.china-forgedwheels.com/fo...nesium-wheels/

https://www.focusst.org/attachments/...est-pdf.13174/

Add lighter tyres to those lightweight wheels and a huge rotational mass reduction will be felt with faster acceleration. Michelin seem to produce the lightest tyres available.

944racing

I can't find any data on Jaguar XJR compatible brake rotor weights, if there are any 2 piece billet rotors available for the x350, they'd be beneficial.

Last edited by SABARRAS; 02-05-2021 at 05:31 PM.
Old 02-06-2021, 04:23 AM

6. I can't find much dyno test info but it would be interesting to see how engine bay heat management can affect horsepower in a Jag.

Those power gains promised by ceramic coatings don't look so impressive in the above test but perhaps it will be a different story when fitted in an engine bay.

This upgraded intercooler radiator is a bit pricey, does anyone know what difference it would make?
https://www.eurotoysltd.com/product/...iator-upgrade/

Old 02-06-2021, 05:18 AM

7. Some high flow catalytic converters are better than others:

Catalytic Converter Flow Bench Test Results

Old 02-06-2021, 08:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,756 Likes on 1,327 Posts

All very nice however what will you do with all that useless wheel spin?

You have not mentioned an LSD at all.

The following 2 users liked this post by jackra_1:
Jaroslav Záruba (02-17-2024), SABARRAS (02-06-2021)
Old 02-06-2021, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by jackra_1
All very nice however what will you do with all that useless wheel spin?

You have not mentioned an LSD at all.
Yeah that would be my first mod before adding engine power.

If you have $5000 to spend at Eurotoys, they can provide you with 100+ BHP extra:

https://www.eurotoysltd.com/product/...-upper-pulley/
https://www.eurotoysltd.com/product/...inder-heads-2/
https://www.eurotoysltd.com/product/...4-08-4-2l-s-c/

Another $2500 (approx) could provide another 30 BHP - with a well designed engine back, custom exhaust system
Another $500-1000 to unleash an extra 20-40 BHP with an ECU tune
Another $500 for porting the Eaton supercharger adding about 50 BHP: https://weaponxmotorsports.com/produ...=4462858567707

Add the LSD replacement and for around $10000 you get a 600+ BHP monster, with a power to weight ratio equivalent to these cars:

Jaguar X350 XJR (performance upgraded)
363 bhp per tonne (600bhp + 1650Kg)

Lamborghini Gallardo LP560-4 - [2008]
368.0 bhp per tonne

Lamborghini Gallardo 5.0 V10 Superleggera - [2007]
367.6 bhp per tonne

Mercedes SLR Class McLaren 722 S Roadster - [2008]
366.2 bhp per tonne

Porsche 918 Spyder 4.6 V8 - [2013]
365.8 bhp per tonne

Ferrari FF 6.3L V12 - [2011]
363.1 bhp per tonne

Wiesmann GT MF5 - [2009]
362.3 bhp per tonne

Ferrari 599 GTB Fiorano - [2006]
361.9 bhp per tonne

I think it is worth the investment.

Last edited by SABARRAS; 02-06-2021 at 08:36 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by SABARRAS:
ampiko (11-18-2021), Jaroslav Záruba (02-17-2024)
Old 02-06-2021, 09:31 AM

The 4.2L SC engines also have the M112 supercharger, this is an interesting article about porting the same model on a Mustang

https://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/...ing/index3.php

Quick Reply: Journey to 500 HP