XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Just bought a 2006 XJL Super 8 Portfollio...

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2017, 02:28 PM
Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Sean W, I want one!!! :-) I also never feel comfortable under a car with a floor jack and stands... Thanks!!! PS. I love the color of your car! I seen a 1989 XJ in Red, that looked like yours and it really was an eye catcher. My Mercedes is Maroon and it is so sweet looking!!! :-)

The following users liked this post:
Sean W (10-26-2017)
Old 10-26-2017, 03:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,219 Likes on 2,367 Posts

Yeah I miss it and I don't at the same time. I sold it for well above book and it was a good deal for both parties. I'm happier with the XK but it's an entirely different beast and comparing them is apples and oranges.

Aleather (10-26-2017)
Old 10-26-2017, 03:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,756 Likes on 1,327 Posts

Of lifts that I have looked at on-line that is the type I favor especially now that you say scissor lifts get in the way of exhaust and trans access. Thats good to know.

Aleather (10-26-2017)
Old 10-26-2017, 04:27 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jackra_1
Of lifts that I have looked at on-line that is the type I favor especially now that you say scissor lifts get in the way of exhaust and trans access. Thats good to know.
I researched them at great length as well. I thought about a post lift but side clearance is too big a problem and car door access is limited and standing under cars just hurts my neck too much. After looking at them this one was a great deal. I spent up and got the cross bars for SUV's so I could use it on my wife's car but haven't had the need to. The Max height is 38" which is perfect for wheel work, sitting or standing and low ceiling garages. (just remember to close the overhead door:-) Lower the lift a bit and I can work the engine bay without having to bend over. Me and a buddy tried to rock the SV8 off of it once it cleared the ground and it didn't budge. I bolted the pan to the floor so I can drive over it without slippage. I didn't want to bother with the portable ones you disassemble and store away.

You have to make sure it fits everywhere. Wheel base is a perfect fit, width is perfect for both my jags and I have full and easy access to virtually anything under the car. I have about $10k in tools and restored a few like you. This was by far my best investment and I regret not doing it sooner. I avoided Atlas btw. Not fun to deal with on shipping. They sell a similar model.

Last edited by Sean W; 10-26-2017 at 04:30 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Sean W:
Aleather (10-26-2017), jackra_1 (10-26-2017)
Old 10-26-2017, 05:39 PM

I cleaned the ‘mass airflow sensor, with this CRC spray and tapped it a couple times with the rubber handle of my screw driver, reset the codes and drove around recycling the engine off anf on lots of times and...Now the P2099 code is gone!!! What remains are only two codes with the check engine lite On.

P0051 and P0151

So, I’m thinking it’s the Bank 2 02 Sensor (sensor 1) is bad and the P2099 code was caused by the mass airflow sensor. Two separate issues???

Old 10-26-2017, 06:35 PM
Veteran Member

possibly and possibly not. P2099 can be thrown by a defective O2 sensor, but can also be the MAF sensor.

As long as it's gone, you can move on to the O2 sensor and close it out.

Swap the sensors and the error codes move to the other bank, you have a defective sensor.

If the codes still read on the right bank, we have the next bridge to cross which is to check the circuit on the right.

Aleather (10-26-2017)
Old 11-06-2017, 05:43 PM
Default Bent Rims...What is the Best After Market Rims to Buy?

Originally Posted by Sean W
possibly and possibly not. P2099 can be thrown by a defective O2 sensor, but can also be the MAF sensor.

As long as it's gone, you can move on to the O2 sensor and close it out.

Swap the sensors and the error codes move to the other bank, you have a defective sensor.

If the codes still read on the right bank, we have the next bridge to cross which is to check the circuit on the right.
OK - I swapped out the up-stream 02 sensors and the error codes moved to the other bank...Two new 02 sensors will be here this week. :-)

I bought four new Pilot Sport 4S Tires and found out I had three bent rims during installation. <grin> They checked at Jaguar what rims cost and they said it was $2,100.00 per rim. I seen one rim at TireRack for about $600 per rim, but thought I would ask here first, what is the best rim to buy for this 2006 Xj Super 8 Portfollio?

They also found that the rubber around each and every ball joint was badly ripped up, which they told me to do nothing with until they start failing. I read lots of post on this forum on this subject, but I’m thinking, every oil change I would just whip some grease around each ball joint and hope it gets in to the ball and it’s housing. <grin> Will this extend the life a bit, or should I just wait until they fail like the mechanic advised me to do?

Last edited by Aleather; 11-06-2017 at 05:45 PM.
Old 11-06-2017, 06:35 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Aleather
OK - I swapped out the up-stream 02 sensors and the error codes moved to the other bank...Two new 02 sensors will be here this week. :-)

I bought four new Pilot Sport 4S Tires and found out I had three bent rims during installation. <grin> They checked at Jaguar what rims cost and they said it was $2,100.00 per rim. I seen one rim at TireRack for about $600 per rim, but thought I would ask here first, what is the best rim to buy for this 2006 Xj Super 8 Portfollio?

They also found that the rubber around each and every ball joint was badly ripped up, which they told me to do nothing with until they start failing. I read lots of post on this forum on this subject, but I’m thinking, every oil change I would just whip some grease around each ball joint and hope it gets in to the ball and it’s housing. <grin> Will this extend the life a bit, or should I just wait until they fail like the mechanic advised me to do?
Nice work!.
I'm pretty sure you can buy the boots. Check with Fraser Mitchell here on this forum. I think he's posted a link to a site that sells them.

Regarding the wheels, check the member marketplace.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/p...classifieds-9/

I think you can buy used Jag rims near your home. You don't mention your wheel size so I've attached a doc to help you.
I'm not familiar with aftermarket wheels to recommend any.

This tool might help as well.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/t...calculator.php

Attached Files
Aleather (11-06-2017)
Old 11-08-2017, 09:53 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can try Perry Morris Shippers. Call 800-826-7989. I've used them for years and they perform well and the prices are usually pretty good.I would pay the extra $$$ and ask for covered shipping.

Aleather (11-09-2017)
Old 11-27-2017, 08:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sean... I have been looking at the same lift which I have found is also re-branded under about 6 different names with Kernal being the manufacturing company. Couple of questions for you regarding the lift if you do not mind. I could not find answers to these in advertising literature. I too have been down the path of considering the QuickJack, just something about it that I do not trust it to put my life on the line getting under it. I found a local guy that had one, he invited me over for a demo, one of his quick disconnects started leaking and dumped a lot of fluid on his floor. After seeing his demo, I bought Jack Point Jackstands and have been using them until now, wife purchased a new SUV that requires getting higher in the air to do the ground work maintenance thus I am burning a hole in lift distributor websites to find the right lift. I have narrowed my search down to two, the MR6K-38 and the Twin Busche mid-rise.

- What size breaker is required to power the lift?
- Do the pivot points have zerk fittings or any way to get some sort of lube in there whether it be grease or oil?
- Have you ever used the wheel kit to know the clearance at both ends of the lift? I want to be able to move from my garage to driveway and have a 3/4" dip in the concrete to drain water away from the garage, could possibly bottom out here.
- When the approach ramps are flipped up and in the locked position to extend the lift rail, do they have substantial construction underneath to use them as lift points? I see them use to lift the light end of cars (rear) however wonder how strong these really are.

Thanks

Steve

Old 11-28-2017, 06:50 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by steevmac

- Do the pivot points have zerk fittings or any way to get some sort of lube in there whether it be grease or oil?
- Have you ever used the wheel kit to know the clearance at both ends of the lift? I want to be able to move from my garage to driveway and have a 3/4" dip in the concrete to drain water away from the garage, could possibly bottom out here.
- When the approach ramps are flipped up and in the locked position to extend the lift rail, do they have substantial construction underneath to use them as lift points? I see them use to lift the light end of cars (rear) however wonder how strong these really are.

Thanks

Steve
Hey Steve

Standard 110v outlet but you do need an air compressor too. The compressor is what supports the locking mechanism. I'm not sure what the breaker size in my garage is but it's nothing special, just stock.

No zerks. The rollers are Poly and I don't recall if they're greased but it wouldn't harm them to do so.

I'm not sure what a wheel kit is but my XK has 4 inch clearance and I have no trouble.

Yes they are strong enough and approved for use as lift points. I lifted my x350 and X150 using them. The rubber blocks they come with are easily placed. In fact you have to use them.

I just happened upon this thread so if you have anymore questions, feel free to PM me. Sorry for the late reply.

Last edited by Sean W; 11-28-2017 at 06:53 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Sean W:
Aleather (03-02-2018), paydase (11-29-2017)