XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Just bought 2011 XJ8L! LOVE IT!

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 06:13 PM
Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

It's a beautiful car. I love the black and London tan. The exterior will have to grow on me. The interior is amazing especially for a bells and whistles guy like me. I wish they would have gone with the original concept though.

Old 07-24-2010, 06:15 PM
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by HouTexJag
Quote from this month's Car and Driver new car issue:

"The old XJ was invigorating to drive, but its styling theme was exhausted. This new car addresses that with an avant-garde body and a spectacular interior treatment."

As far as discontinuing the XJ line--why? To satisfy those that are resistive to the new design? The XJ is the designation of the Jaguar flagship sedan, which the '11 model still is. The XF was a totally new car slotted between the loser X type and the XJ.

Is it classy? Only time will tell.
Car and Driver really? I ll send them a 100 grand check monday and they will tell the Mazda 6 looks more stylish than the all new XJ, thats how they work, they even sh*t on Rolls Royce Ghost, they said the Bentley Continental GT is a better car than Rolls Royce Ghost. I think the new XJ is a gorgeous ride, the interior looks amazing, but it's not in the same class with the old XJ now, old XJ is a classic now how dare they say the styling was exhausted... some designs never get old, like the Bentley Arnage, it is one hell of a ride that will never get old so it's not okay to say the new XJ looks way better than the old XJ because there is no comparison. And for your information X type is not a loser, that car came out in 2001, it has been freaking 9 years and it still looks better than a 2010 Toyota camry or a lexus ES. Check out the photos below you will see what I mean by some designs never get old.

Attached Thumbnails Just bought 2011 XJ8L! LOVE IT!-09_bentley_arnage_t_01000.jpg   Just bought 2011 XJ8L! LOVE IT!-imgjaguar-xj4.jpg  
Old 07-24-2010, 06:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

To KruBruder, I must say, the picture you have posted is too ghastly and avantgarde. I'm glad they didn't go with the "original" design because it looks too much like a concept car.

To JagMaster, I believe the context in which the X-Type is a "loser" would be with regards to sales. However, I'm not certain on that. I don't read Car and Driver, but I don't think the Bentley Continental GT should be compared with the RR Ghost. It's a coupe/convertible vs. a saloon. The Bentley Arnage was getting a bit tired in the current car market. Don't get me wrong. I still think it is an amazing car, but it's age shows. IMHO, the only reason it had lasted for so long is because that's what we had in mind when we thought/think of Bentley.

I will say that I am glad the namesake for the Xj continued to the new model. It's not tarnishing the name, just altering it, yeah, I'd be happy if they kept the old body style, but I'd rather Jaguar adapt to changing markets than go bankrupt.

Old 07-25-2010, 04:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 639 Likes on 441 Posts

How dare they compare a Bentley Continental (two doors) with a Rolls Royce (4 doors sedan ) .Ha ha what's even hilarious they said Bentley was a better car .That made my day may be a month
Can you imagine a Rolls Royce 0-100 km/h less than 5 secs ,that should be a Lamborghini Diablo territory and you talk about a car weights heighly more than 2 tones and better MPG than its ancestors .

Winding Road should be wiser than those other mags

Old 07-25-2010, 01:58 PM
Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by JagMaster
Car and Driver really? I ll send them a 100 grand check monday and they will tell the Mazda 6 looks more stylish than the all new XJ, thats how they work, they even sh*t on Rolls Royce Ghost, they said the Bentley Continental GT is a better car than Rolls Royce Ghost. I think the new XJ is a gorgeous ride, the interior looks amazing, but it's not in the same class with the old XJ now, old XJ is a classic now how dare they say the styling was exhausted... some designs never get old, like the Bentley Arnage, it is one hell of a ride that will never get old so it's not okay to say the new XJ looks way better than the old XJ because there is no comparison. And for your information X type is not a loser, that car came out in 2001, it has been freaking 9 years and it still looks better than a 2010 Toyota camry or a lexus ES. Check out the photos below you will see what I mean by some designs never get old.
Sorry, but I've been hearing that same lame comment for years about car and motorcycle makers buying off major car and motorcycle mags (and I subscribe to most of them) from anyone that doesn't like their reviews without a shread of proof. Do you really think Jaguar paid Car and Driver to print that one sentance? Get real.

I don't know what Car and Driver article you read, but they did not compare the Rolls-Royce Ghost to the Bentley Continental GT, but rather to the Bentley Continental Flying Spur Speed, which is a good comparison of two fabulous (and quick) 4-door sedans. They had favorable comments for both and actually gave the nod to the Rolls, as well they should have.

I don't think I've heard anyone say that the new XJ is way better than the old one, just different. You can continue to flog an old design or have the guts to break the mold and do something completely different. I applaud Jaguar for doing the latter and I think it will serve them well.

Concerning the X Type, I drove one as a loaner car once while my XJR was in the shop and it was a piece of junk. Ford had the brilliant idea of making a "baby" XJ to sell to the masses--it was cheaply made and an embarressment to the marque in my opinion. Hopefully Tata keeps Jaguar a low volume niche company to sell just top-of-the-line cars and avoids the temptation to use the name to market lower end cars.

Old 07-25-2010, 07:20 PM
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I'll go find that issue of car and driver where they compared bentley and rolls royce and bentley had more points than rolls (AND THEY ALSO SAID ROLLS HAD QUALITY ISSUES). And I didn't say Jag paid car and driver to print that one sentence. Like I said before the new Xj looks awesome and I'll be getting one next year, my point was they just can't say the old Xj's design was exhausted or got old, it's a classic now. And I don't care what car and driver says since they say KIA soul has an unique design. And still you think X-Type is a piece of crap because you have never driven a ford focus or a hyundai accent and not everyone is rich like you so let the poor people drive jags or mercs too, because you are basically saying jag should not produce cars like X-Type so only rich ppl can afford jags. Mercedes has a car that costs 33 grand right? but it also has a car that costs 450 grand, and both drivers of those cars can say they drive a Mercedes-Benz. I'd like to see Jaguar becoming a brand like Mercedes-Benz so we can start seeing more Jags on the roads.

Old 07-25-2010, 09:40 PM
Veteran Member

I don't want Jaguar to be like Mercedes. Yeah, it'd be great if they could do all that Mercedes seems to do, but Mercedes seems to pull it off. Jaguar couldn't when they had the S and X Type cars for sale.

I will say, I HATE the Kia Soul. It's ugly. Not the car I'd drive. When I was shopping for my Jag, it was buy a used Jag, or a near new Kia. Easy choice.

Originally Posted by JagMaster
And still you think X-Type is a piece of crap because you have never driven a ford focus or a hyundai accent and not everyone is rich like you so let the poor people drive jags or mercs too, because you are basically saying jag should not produce cars like X-Type so only rich ppl can afford jags.
Yes. I wouldn't call the X-Type a "piece of crap" because regardless, it's a Jaguar, and I'm not going to insult anyone who has one especially because I haven't driven one.

Now, if "poor people" want Jags, then they are VERY easy to buy. Heck, I could get a used Rolls Royce for the price of a new Ford. Lets be honest, that car that Mercedes sells for $33,000 or whatever isn't as nice as the one that sells for nearly a quarter of a million dollars.

Old 07-25-2010, 09:52 PM

My desire is that Jaguar remain a niche car maker producing only fine high end cars like Rolls, Bentley, Ferrari, and Maserati at a slightly better price point. I hope it doesn't become another MB, BMW, or Audi.

You don't have to be rich to own a Jaguar, new or used.

Old 07-26-2010, 06:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you don't have to be rich, but at 80,000 plus for an XJL, a good salary sure helps!

Old 07-26-2010, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by viperz06
you don't have to be rich, but at 80,000 plus for an XJL, a good salary sure helps!
Yes, but like TopHatChef said, there are great used Jag deals out there. My whole point is that I hope that Jaguar stays (like it has always been, except when Ford attempted to make it another MB) a higher end car maker to maintain its mystique. I don't want to see them make another BMW 3 Series wannabe. Making 3 or 4 cars that compete with MB S Class, E Class, and SL or BMW 7 Series, 5 Series, or 6 Series is where I would like to see them stay. I don't know what Tata has in mind for the line in the long run.

Old 07-26-2010, 10:59 AM
Veteran Member

Yeah, do a little Google search for a Jaguar SUV. There is a concept drawing out there somewhere of a 2009 Xj8 turned SUV. I REALLY hope that won't come to fruition.

Old 07-26-2010, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by TopHatChef
Yeah, do a little Google search for a Jaguar SUV. There is a concept drawing out there somewhere of a 2009 Xj8 turned SUV. I REALLY hope that won't come to fruition.
Yes, no SUV's please!

Old 07-26-2010, 12:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 527 Likes on 371 Posts

Jaguar will never come out with an SUV because it would be direct competition for Land Rover, which basically is a Jaguar SUV.

Old 07-26-2010, 08:52 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

not sure that a Range Rover is a Jaguar suv even though I agree that now that they have been so closely tied together in the most recent mfr. deals with Tata there is much sharing of technologies and parts. I have a Range and new Jag. Love both

Last edited by Celestial; 07-26-2010 at 08:53 PM. Reason: img not seen
Old 07-26-2010, 09:03 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default my new XJL Neiman Marcus edition

tomorrow I'l get a shot with the Range and Jag together for the fun of it.

Attached Thumbnails Just bought 2011 XJ8L! LOVE IT!-xjl2.jpg  
Old 07-27-2010, 12:00 AM
Veteran Member

Celestial, love the car. It's so desperately shiny.

Jaguar and Land Rover are quintessentially the same company. The company is named JLR (Jaguar Land Rover) and was set up in 2002 by Ford and then sold to Tata in 2008.

Old 07-27-2010, 05:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 639 Likes on 441 Posts

Range Rover is sharing some techlogical gadgets with Jaguar .
2011 Range Rover will be having a raising gear selector just same as XF or XJ .
I think that's a cool thing for Jaguar because Range Rover is accepted the most sophisticated and luxurious SUV and such a ride gets a techology from another brand I am happy to see Jaguar will never bother to make SUV too.

Old 07-27-2010, 10:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

Originally Posted by TopHatChef
The Bentley Arnage was getting a bit tired in the current car market. Don't get me wrong. I still think it is an amazing car, but it's age shows. IMHO, the only reason it had lasted for so long is because that's what we had in mind when we thought/think of Bentley.
Bentley tried to extend life out of the Arnage too long. All the aero tweaks and painted panels did not do justice to the styling. I think it is a timeless car, but I would go for an earlier example to own. SAAB did the same to the 9-5 as did Jaguar to the x350 XJ8. The last few years, the XJ8 did not look good from the front. The classic grill like on the 2004-05 was the best design, but car companies keep updating the car whether it needs it or not.

Old 07-27-2010, 10:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

Originally Posted by XJ8JR
Everyone I know, including my Jaguar mechanics who have been in business since the 70s, all agree that this new car is NOT an XJ. And unfortunately for me, that means I will never again buy a new model Jaguar, because if they all follow this same path, I'm not interested. Sorry. Just my two cents.
The path Jaguar has to follow is super charged V8's and aluminum rivet bonding. They are pioneers in both areas and are both great ideas.

Jaguar fills a style void in the market for those who buy just on looks or from the heart. Women still fancy the Jaguar shape when all the competing cars are lined up side-by-side. This is not a time for Jaguar to be a reactionary design and build process. Jaguar have been innovators at different points in their history, so why not now?

Old 07-27-2010, 01:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 527 Likes on 371 Posts

Celestial, I must admit that car is handsome, especially with those white Patio Chair Decals on the side

I'm curious what people's opinions are regarding the Audi style LEDs on the front of car. Yay or nay?

Last edited by XJ8JR; 07-27-2010 at 01:47 PM.

Quick Reply: Just bought 2011 XJ8L! LOVE IT!