XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Just bought an XJR - advice please!

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2010, 04:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just bought an XJR - advice please!

I traded in my '03 129k XJ6 for a main dealer approved used '06 21k XJR on Thursday. I had been very careful and researched and knew all the common faults and things to look out for - or so I thought! The first thing I should say is that the car is superb to drive and it's 'a dream come true' to own one of these. However....

The first slight letdown was when picking the car up on Thursday I noticed corrosion on the bottom of both rear doors ( I missed it during the test drive a week earlier). This was noted on the sales invoice as an item to be rectified and photos were taken to pass on to Jaguar. So not great, but at least the dealer has agreed that it's a problem that wil be resolved.

All was well on the drive home. Then this morning I got my first proper chance to look over the car as the 'owner'. Checking under the bonnet I discovered that the coolant level in the header tank was below minimum mark; the power steering fluid level was at the minimum mark and the brake fluid was about a quarter way down between maximum and minimum. Now any one of these I could just about tolerate, but not three of the four fluid levels (the oil level was fine) below where they should be less than 100 miles since driving away from the dealer, with the car having been given a full service prior to sale. Hands up I did not check these prior to taking delivery, but as it had just been serviced by the main dealer I had taken as read. Further issues I have found during the day are that the drivers door mirror sometimes fails to return fully to its extended position and a dreaded message centre warning - 'cruise control unavailable'.

I will contact the dealer tomorrow to express my concerns. I am trying to decide whether to rejct the car or accept rectification of the issues. My biggest concern is that if I take the integrity of the service and PDI at face value, how can I ever have confidence in a car that can lose the above fluids in less than 100 miles, with all the long term implications that might hold? The other possibility is that the service was not done properly and the levels were not topped up, but that still raises the question as to why the levels were low in the first place on a low mileage car. Furthermore it would negate any assurances that the PDI ought to provide as to the standard of preparation of the vehicle. I owned the XJ6 for 5 years/56000 miles and never had to top up any of the levels. Previously I had an X308 3.2 sport for 50000 miles (taking it to 150000) again without ever needing to top up levels. Maybe I was just lucky before?

I would appreciate any thoughts or advice on my legal position and also whether you think I should be happy to accept rectification of the faults. I plan to keep the car for a long time and want to be able to have complete confidence that it will stand the test of time and mileage. Do you think you would have that confidence to keep the vehicle? I would love it to be 'the one' for long term ownership, but only if I have that warm, cosy feeling. I have to say that at the moment I do not have that feeling.

Many thanks

Old 10-30-2010, 05:17 PM
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I would give them a chance... see what they say and offer. I agree that they should have topped all fluids up before delivery. Brake fluid level drops as the brakes wear, so this is perfectly normal. As to the coolant and PS fluid i would check thoroughly for leaks.

If you still love the car... then make them make it right and enjoy it for many years to come!

Old 10-31-2010, 02:29 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

With the exception of the rust on the sills, the rest are minor in my opinion. You sound very detail oriented, just like me, but not everyone is a 'maximum' level type of owner. As long as it is within spec, it passes their inspection requirements.

The mirror return could be the worst of what you listed. Cruise not available seems like the classic brake switch failure...very minor repair, but dealer should make it right for you.

If it were me, I don't see anything to warrant a red flag situation and start the sleepless nights. I want an 05-07 XJ as my 2nd car...just waiting for the right one.

Old 10-31-2010, 05:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,456 Likes on 1,952 Posts

No unknown issues there. The corrosion on the door bottoms will be covered under the warranty, (unlike poor little me with my 2003). Fluid levels are nothing to worry about as far as brakes and power steering is concerned. Just keep an eye on the coolant reservoir for a while after topping up. Can I assume oil is nice and clean as well as correct level ?

Old 11-01-2010, 11:35 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is corrosion on a 2004 and newer XJ normal. I thought that the car was all aluminium, body and frame.

Old 11-01-2010, 04:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 324 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by SergeXJR
Is corrosion on a 2004 and newer XJ normal. I thought that the car was all aluminium, body and frame.
Aluminum can corrode just like steel, just a different color, especially in the presence of salted roads. The aluminum was used primarily to control weight.

Old 11-01-2010, 04:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,456 Likes on 1,952 Posts

Hi SergeXJR

Corrosion on X35s is not normal, but quite common. Having said that it is virtually all cosmetic corrosion; the car is not going to fall apart !

Unfortunately aluminium corrodes in the same way as steel, (combining with oxygen in the air), but just isn't called rust. Bare unpainted aluminium will last longer than steel as it forms a layer on the surface that prevents further corrosion for a while at least. However, aluminium is particularly vulnerable to salt solution, which is why salt is never used to clear runways at airports, as aircraft are all constructed of aluminium and subject to a lot of stress, so with corrosion in the wrong places the planes might fall out of the sky !!

It is clear to me at least,having had to cure some of this corrosion, that Jaguar had not completed the learning curve when it came to painting their new aluminium bodies in 2003, and not for a time afterwards either, if the forum complaints are anything to go by. Painting aluminium is harder than steel, actually, and the process is vulnerable to contamination of the handling and pressing process.

Jaguar are not the first, (and will probably not be the last manufacturer), to have to learn the correct processes. Over my years as a petrol head, I have seen the lower edges of 1960s Rover 90 and 100 doors crumbling away, and also on Range Rover aluminium panels, and also on rail vehicles constructed of aluminium, (I am in the rail industry).

Aluminium is not a cure-all for corrosion prevention over steel. Funnily enough, I had no trouble years ago with a '76 Rover P6 3500 which had aluminium bonnet and boot lid, with the rest of the car made of steel, which rusted plenty !!

Old 11-01-2010, 07:06 PM

Many thanks for all of the responses and advice. I phoned the dealer yesterday and told the salesperson that I was considering rejecting the car. I was promised a call from the sales manager today to discuss further - but there was no call!

I have this evening witten a letter telling them I will reject the car, but giving them the opportunity to pay for a full independant inspection and subsequent service (I pointed out that if a serious fault is found then I will confirm rejection of the car).

I also added a list of the more minor issues I expect them to fix while they have the car to repair the corrsion (if the process gets that far) - door mirror; cruise unavailable warning light; fuel flap misaligned; scrape on one of the aloy wheels; paint missing from drivers door sill. If they agree to that lot and there are no major faults found I will keep the car.

I will keep you posted - and thanks to everyone once again.

Old 11-02-2010, 06:54 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi Guys,

I have started a new thread on the corrosion problem. If you have any more information on how to prevent this situation from happening please post.

Old 11-02-2010, 09:43 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

Dave, that's a very good approach. Looking forward to hearing how it turns out.

Old 11-30-2010, 04:48 PM

Just to close the loop on this one, I have now returned the car to the dealer and had a full refund, as they were not willing to allow an independant inspection/service. It's now back on their forecourt at the same price as before.

Today I picked up a replacement 2005 plate XJR with 14k miles from a different dealer - so far so good!

davejag Ranking: Newbie Posts: 6 Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:38 am Location: Berkshire Car Model: 2003 03 XJ6 Donated: I am in the process of donating