XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Just a couple of service questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 04:50 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Just a couple of service questions

Greetings.

I just purchased a 2004 XJ8 with about 67K miles on it. It's a very clean car and looks and drives as though it's been very well maintained. While driving it home, I got the common "Air Suspension Fault" light and warning. Unbeknownst to me at the time, this is apparently a very common problem. I'll admit I was freaking out a bit.

At any rate, I've read up on this issue and compared what I've read with what I have and I believe it's probably just a mixture the cold weather messing with the compressor/sensors and possibly a slightly worn compressor. The light seems to only come on when the temps get around or below freezing. I notice no difference in ride height or quality.

The other issue I've noticed is the climate control. It seems as though the driver's side dash vents will generally only blow cold air. The floor vents work fine and the passenger side vents seem to be fine as well. That said, every once in a while, the driver's dash vents will blow hot air too, but it's rather intermittent.

The car is scheduled to go to the local Jag dealer so they can take a look at it (at the expense of the car dealer I bought it from) and hopefully fix what ails it.

I'll let you know what becomes of the checkup. I'd love to hear any input, tips, tricks, etc.

Thanks.

Old 02-06-2012, 04:59 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

had the same problem.. turns out I needed two front shocks.. Have it checked out because although it only does it when its cold out it is still a problem which needs to be addressed ASAP otherwise you will need a compressor soon as well. I just ordered 2 argots units for my car and should have it back by the end of this wk.... good luck .... let us know what happens

Old 02-07-2012, 02:18 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 54 Likes on 25 Posts

67K is getting close to the time when air shocks start getting worn but 80k - 120k is more typical. Make sure your compressor isn't running more than it should since that may indicate a worn bag. Another good test for the bags is to spray a solution of soapy water around the air shock and look for bubbles. If you are going to have to foot the bill for the repair one option is to use Arnott Air Suspension Products which should help save you a lot of money. On that link you'll find pricing for new replacement shocks, remanufactured shocks, new coil conversions (which eliminates the air suspension completely) and new Air Compressors.

Old 02-07-2012, 02:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,455 Likes on 1,951 Posts

Your air suspension messages indicate that the compressor is starting to wear out. It starts when the weather is cold, then just gets worse until it does it all the time. If your car has not yet had a new on fitted, it has done pretty well to get to 67k miles.

On the other issue of heat output, this is one of the topics on the X350 section of the UK Jaguar Enthusiast magazine. The heat exchanger in the heater/air con unit can silt up. Don't ask me why ! In fact I don't think anyone, even Jaguar engineers know.