XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Just starting out.

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2021, 01:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just starting out.

Just starting out on my venture into the world of Jaguar. Got my hands on a low mileage 350 3.0 SE, which I find fantastic.
It has a few issues, minor, I hope, headliner, headlamp washer dropped in the bumper, wingmirror that won't deploy fully, rear parking sensor failure, but hopefully will get these things put right over the summer.
Having the gearbox oil changed next week as no idea if it has ever been looked at.
No doubt at some time I will be asking advice on all of these issues, and more.
As a starter, when she gets up on the ramp next, I want to get a good underside inspection, where are the most vulnerable areas to look for problems.
Appreciate any advice on any related subjects.

Old 05-16-2021, 06:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,451 Likes on 1,949 Posts

What year and mileage ? You wouldn't normally look at the gearbox fluid until you get to about 60-65k miles. As for the other things, my first X350, a Sport had the same problem with the headlight washer, and one was replaced by Royles, the main agent in Wilmslow, (now no longer trading). When it failed again, they replaced it under the Jaguar parts warranty. No more failures after that. In my case, probably yours, the top comes off and you get a vertical fountain of water in the air !. Headliner ? "they all do that, sir". A fix is all labour so can be costly. Parking sensor failure needs a track-down as it's probably only one of them.
Have a look at the MOT history to see if any suspension bushes have come under notice, because some of these are notoriously short-life items, in particular those at the bottom of the suspension struts, and the rear lower wishbones. Also the front trunnions on the front lower wishbones can wear and if they do, the tow-out that results wears out the tyre inner shoulders. ALso, if you can get the car on a lift, check the two fuel tank securing straps; these rust away and can fail, as happened to me. You can now get stainless steel ones on the aftermarket. Basically these are a very reliable car, but with a few design issues that eventually were mostly sorted-out by Jaguar but not all.

The following users liked this post:
Shooey (05-16-2021)
Old 05-16-2021, 10:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for that info, mileage is 62k (2005).
Headliner I have been quoted 600 from a firm in Malton, they guarantee for as long as you keep the car. The washer has just disappeared down the hole, just visible though.
Sensor is the rear nearside, not ticking so need to look at that.
Mirrors, the left one retracts and deploys fine but the right only goes half in and will only deploy with a gentle push as it motors.
I don't think any of these, apart from headliner, are outside of my abilities so will spend the summer ticking off the boxes.