XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Knocking Noise

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 07:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 120 Likes on 87 Posts
Default RE: Knocking Noise

What extended warranty company were you using?

Old 01-15-2009, 10:32 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Knocking Noise

Unfortunantly I haven't had any time to bring the car in. I did check into the problem more though and narrowed the noise down to the front left wheel well area. With the extreme cold that we are having in the northeast the noise has gotten considerably louder, and after reading some posts about some peoples air suspensions having problems in the colder weather I think that this is probably suspension related and not engine related.

Mat

Old 01-15-2009, 07:46 PM
Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts
Default RE: Knocking Noise Diagnosed?

I live in Minnesota and this morning on the way to work the temperature was -23 F (-31 C)
The noise was much louder...
Matt I am confident it is not the suspension as I just had all four of mine replaced...

It is definitely temperature related.
Called the service manager at Jaguar-Minneapolis to see if I could bring it in immediately or make appointment. I described the symptoms and he (service manager) is familiar with the issue, he said it is common as it gets colder. It is a valve that has to do with the fuel pressure relief back to the gas tank. The valve modulates the fuel return line pressure and gets louder as temperature lowers. (Something to do with the vapor return) They have replaced them without any change and do not do it anymore as it makes no difference. If I am still annoyed by the noise they have in the past insulated the valve to deaden the sound. Does not solve the issue but masks the noise.

I thought I would post and see if any of the techs on line know what part/process he is talking about.

Sounds to me that’s the problem. Remember revving the engine shuts it off and then as the idle settles it comes back ticking.

Tom

Old 02-20-2009, 09:53 AM
Default Video with Sound

As previously posted I took this to the dealer and they proceeded to tell me this is "normal."

Sage techs please listen to this video, go at least one minute into it. Tell me if you think this is normal...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VNuCfv1Uiw

Notice it is almost as loud as the blinker. Dealer says it is a valve that has to do with fuel vapor return to the gas tank and valve modulates. Loudness has a lot to do with ambient temperature...

Tom

Old 02-20-2009, 10:20 AM

I had pretty much given up on getting this noise fixed, because the dealer really cant do anything about it. But that video is the exact noise that im getting, and it really is about that loud when its 12 Degrees out! Hopefully one of the techs on here can shed some light on this is

Mat

Old 02-20-2009, 11:44 AM

Had -20 a few weeks ago and I thought a little troll had a hammer under the hood.
THIS IS NOT NORMAL. I am going to the dealer next week with the video...

Let the battle begin.

Tom

Old 02-20-2009, 06:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 200 Posts

If there is no real fix for this issue, can the source be found and insulated heavily so the noise is not noticeable.

Old 02-21-2009, 06:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not a tech...but here are my thoughts.....if this is "normal" behaviour for the XJ8 then one would expect all or at least most of them to make this noise in cold/cool conditions. I live in Toronto ON (gets cold) and my 2004 XJ8 does not do this and nor do any of the XJ8s that have been loaned to me.

I'm also positive that no customer who spends ($100k+) on one of these cars new would tolerate that type of noise, therefore, the car has not always been that way, therefore, some part/programing is defective and causing the noise.

Of course, this is an easier battle to fight if you have either the original or Jaguar Select warranty.

Good luck.

Old 02-21-2009, 09:50 PM
Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

I get the noise on my '05 VDP when it gets cold. It seems to be much more noticeable when pulling up to the Starbucks drive through. I think it cancels out the "Nice car" comments though. It's pretty embarrasing. Almost as embarrasing as the Pee Wee Herman scooter horn that goes meep meep when you hit the wrong key remote buttons.

Old 02-24-2009, 07:51 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Same ticking/knocking noise

Add me to the list of "tickers", being in Massachusetts I suppose I will either have to learn to live with it or break out the insulation.

Thanks for posting the video, the 2000rpm and back test was the perfect tool to help me diagnose this as the same problem.

Hope you get some resolution...

Old 02-24-2009, 10:42 AM
Default evaporative emission canister purge valve

"evaporative emission canister purge valve"

CBC7714 appears to be the offending part, about $70.

Next time I have the car up I am going to try and isolate and insulate it

Attached Thumbnails  Knocking Noise-purge-valve.jpg  
Old 02-24-2009, 10:45 AM
Default Instructions

I am fairly certain this is the cause and instructions on removal...

Attached Thumbnails  Knocking Noise-evaporative-emission-canister-purge-valve_page_1.jpg    Knocking Noise-evaporative-emission-canister-purge-valve_page_2.jpg  
Old 02-27-2009, 04:13 PM

While my car was in having the sunroof assembly replaced I called and asked my SA about the "evaporative emission canister purge valve" and he explained to me how they usually insulate it and that they would check if mine had the insulation. When I picked up the car yesterday he told me that mine was already insulated, and that it was working fine. I figured that theirs nothing that can really be done about it so I went on my way. By the time I got home the motor was warmed completely and I pulled into my driveway figuring that I would hear the noise, but it was gone? I let the car sit and idle for about 5 minutes and still no noise. I asked my SA about it and he said that the tech must have moved something around that caused it to stop making the noise and that it was dumb luck . So hopefully the noise doesn't start in again and my knocking noise is cured!

Mat